Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Marvel picks Penguin Random House as new distributor

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I wondered how long it would take Marvel to leave Diamond. It does seem Diamonds days are numbered.

This caught my eye in Marvel's announcement.

Penguin Random House is a free-freight company, allowing retailers to simplify their business models while alleviating the volatility and complexity of reducing freight costs and planning.

And unlike Lunar, they operate in the UK, so this distribution deal can be international. DC had to stick with Diamond in the UK.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wow. I can't believe Marvel would do businesses with Penguin, especially with their history towards women https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0VJIYsCxb8
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I just realised, that means this year will be Marvel's last Free Comic Book Day.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And unlike Lunar, they operate in the UK, so this distribution deal can be international. DC had to stick with Diamond in the UK.
    And unlike Lunar(DCBS), Penguin isn't a competitor of every LCS.

I just realised, that means this year will be Marvel's last Free Comic Book Day.
    They can still participate, they just wouldn't ship the books via Diamond. Something similar was brought up when they announced the Free Comic Book Day titles for this year and people questioned DC's involvement.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

It would be unofficial. Send the books out for release on the same day, but without an FCBD logo on the cover. They wouldn't be included in the 12 gold books/50 silver books list. They won't officially be part of the event any more.

All-New Member

Quote: Wow. I can't believe Marvel would do businesses with Penguin, especially with their history towards women

That's odd... you look at PRH's uppermanagement. It's 85% women.

From Publication to Distribution...It's actually a very diverse and open place.
    Last edited by RogueSprat; 03-25-2021 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Adding quote

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wonder if they will have a section of their website dedicated to comics similar to what Diamond has. I like their set up because you can also go back into their archives to see prior years offerings, etc.

It would be unofficial. Send the books out for release on the same day, but without an FCBD logo on the cover. They wouldn't be included in the 12 gold books/50 silver books list. They won't officially be part of the event any more.
    I doubt it really matters much. To the general public going to it, as long as the comic is on the table with all the other FCBD books it's basically a FCBD book.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ultimate Member

All I will say is...I called this happening years ago.

The biggest problem with American comics is the distribution. It's not politics, it's not comics are bad or all that nonsense, the distribution model as it is isn't working very well.

Something needed to be done to shake things up.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Slowly but surely shaking up comics distribution. Which is good, as said above, it’s needed to happen for awhile.

BANNED

Diamond's totally f--ked right?

I mean DC going out was bad enough but the smaller of the Big Two was survivable. Now the Biggest One has left. .