Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC's Wolverine

While it's true that Wolverine may have been derived from the idea of Timber Wolf....

I don't think there is any DC equivalent to Wolverine...he's unique and one of a kind....which is why he is so popular.

DC really doesn’t have one particular character that you can point to as their answer to Wolverine. They have tried on numerous occasions to push a character for that role.

Obviously Timberwolf should be one of the candidates. Legendary artist Dave Cockrum redesigned the Legion of Superheroes in the 70s and Timberwolf was definitely his prototype for his eventual design for Logan (he had also intended Nightcrawler to be on a Legion offshoot team). When he left DC for Marvel, Cockrum was the first artist to depict Wolverine without his mask and is responsible for the classic pointed hair and sideburns. He also gave him the updated orange and brown costume that was very similar to his Timberwolf design. Though Timberwolf was already Wolverine before Wolverine as he was originally introduced as loner with a bad attitude. His first code name was Lone Wolf. Maybe the editors thought it was too on the nose. He also got his powers through experimentation similar to the Weapon X program.

Deathstroke has a military history, was experimented on, and has similar powers (healing factor, heightened senses, and peak human ability). The two characters are often pitted against each other in fan debates for that reason. But Slade was always supposed to be more of an evil Captain America. He even wears chain mail and Cap style boots and gloves. As much as DC sometimes tries to make him an anti-hero, Slade is far too much of a cold blooded sociopath to be their Wolverine. Read Sempers brilliant Deathstroke run.

Hawkman has been positioned to play the role a lot, especially in the 90s and in the New 52. The warrior hero who is infused with strange metal and who would much rather smash his enemies than come to an understanding. But his reincarnation means that sometimes he’s more of a studious archeologists or disciplined leader.

Lobo became a parody of the extreme violent superheroes that Wolverine exemplified. He was even pitted against Logan in the DC vs Marvel crossover. Lobo will always be too much of a wacky parody character be DC’s true answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    I always wondered who was DC's version of Wolverine. In the Amalgam universe they had Wolverine vs. Lobo, but I never thought that was a good fit. To simplify my thought process on this, I was thinking it would have to be someone who is willing to get into a scrap of any sort, take on missions that other heroes would consider 'messy', and most importantly, have a healing factor that would be the sole reason that he/she was able to recover and win a majority of these scraps.

My three candidates are as follows:

Hawk (Hank Hall) - maybe power-wise the best comparison I can come up with.

Hawkman - this reputation/distinction could possibly get the character over with new readers?

Aquaman - a dark horse for this comparison, and probably influenced by Jason Momoa

Any other candidates?
    I think Hawkman is the best analogue. He has a similar personality and both are associated with a fictional metal (adamantium for Wolverine, Nth Metal for Hawkman).

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The Fang outfit was a real favorite of mine as a kid. I hated when Wolvie ditched it.
    Same! I'd love to see it pop back up again sometime in the future.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Same! I'd love to see it pop back up again sometime in the future.
    I was really stoked when X-23 adopted it for a while!
    But really I’d love to see Wolvie wear it again.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I should have stated that I was trying to determine who could fit that role in present-day DC. Timberwolf has always been one of my favorites, but I remember someone, somewhere, said that most teams need a 'Wolverine type', and it made me wonder about DC. The more I read here, the more I think it should be Hawk or Hawkman.

Deathstroke is a great comparison, but I'm guessing he is the counterpart for Marvel's Deadpool?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Deathstroke is a great comparison, but I'm guessing he is the counterpart for Marvel's Deadpool?
    I thought that was Harley Quinn.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would say Red Hood. Willing to do what needs to be done...

Damian Wayne.