Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC's Wolverine

Default DC's Wolverine

I always wondered who was DC's version of Wolverine. In the Amalgam universe they had Wolverine vs. Lobo, but I never thought that was a good fit. To simplify my thought process on this, I was thinking it would have to be someone who is willing to get into a scrap of any sort, take on missions that other heroes would consider 'messy', and most importantly, have a healing factor that would be the sole reason that he/she was able to recover and win a majority of these scraps.

My three candidates are as follows:

Hawk (Hank Hall) - maybe power-wise the best comparison I can come up with.

Hawkman - this reputation/distinction could possibly get the character over with new readers?

Aquaman - a dark horse for this comparison, and probably influenced by Jason Momoa

Any other candidates?

Those are good choices (Hawk is an awesome one).
    Only thing is, none of them have ever really been pushed in-universe as that type of character to any great extent.

Deathstroke might get some mentions, in that he’s been pushed in-universe in a lot of the same ways.
    And he has the HF, the reputation among his peers, he’s teamed w. everyone, knows everyone...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I actually think his best parallel is probably Deathstroke. He's not a hero, but he has a similar vibe in that he's plagued with painful memories, and each is "the best at what he does". Their skill in combat is probably similar, as are their superhuman reflexes & physical abilities. Both are frequently on solo missions in dicey, morally ambiguous contexts.

Hawkman's not a bad candidate among actual heroes. Ties to historical eras, numerous half-remembered past lives, a savage combat personality, and a brooding temperment.

Errr...Timber Wolf?

Member of the Legion of Super-Heroes predates Wolverine but there are many similarities.

From wiki: the serum changed him into a wolf-like lycanthrope, he gained claws, enhanced senses, the ability to heal quickly from injuries, and even greater strength. As a byproduct of his wolfen form, he is often prone to outbursts of savage fury.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I actually think his best parallel is probably Deathstroke. He's not a hero, but he has a similar vibe in that he's plagued with painful memories, and each is "the best at what he does". Their skill in combat is probably similar, as are their superhuman reflexes & physical abilities. Both are frequently on solo missions in dicey, morally ambiguous contexts.

Hawkman's not a bad candidate among actual heroes. Ties to historical eras, numerous half-remembered past lives, a savage combat personality, and a brooding temperment.
    Deathstroke is never morally ambiguous, any 'moral ambiguity' he has is a result of writers pretending he did nothing wrong or was misunderstood and fans buying into what that narrative.

Just swap out healing factor with "prep time" and it's pretty much modern Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Just swap out healing factor with "prep time" and it's pretty much modern Batman.
    Wolverine is more likable than Batman, then again a lot of people are these days.

In terms of personality it's definitely Jonah Hex.

He's a loner who goes around killing every scumbag he sees.

During the 90s, Lobo was.
    But he fell out of favor.

Now, I’m not sure.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-25-2021 at 07:54 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I feel like it’s Red Hood, he is a beloved rouge anti-hero who goes on violent adventures (I know that’s a gross oversimplification but that’s the best that came to mind in comparing him to Wolverine).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Fun fact: The Imperial Guard in Marvel's X-Men started out as a parody of Legion of Superheroes. The Timberwolf character was called Fang. Briefly, Wolverine wore Fang/Timberwolf's costume.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Fun fact: The Imperial Guard in Marvel's X-Men started out as a parody of Legion of Superheroes. The Timberwolf character was called Fang. Briefly, Wolverine wore Fang/Timberwolf's costume.

It was the FIRST alien costume brought back to earth by a hero after his outfit was shredded on a long adventure out in space!
    Venom who?

The Fang outfit was a real favorite of mine as a kid. I hated when Wolvie ditched it.
    I read years later that John Byrne disliked it, cuz of all the little boney bits/details he’d have to keep consistent from panel to panel. He lobbied for its removal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    Errr...Timber Wolf?

Member of the Legion of Super-Heroes predates Wolverine but there are many similarities.

From wiki: the serum changed him into a wolf-like lycanthrope, he gained claws, enhanced senses, the ability to heal quickly from injuries, and even greater strength. As a byproduct of his wolfen form, he is often prone to outbursts of savage fury.
    Yes, plus they have the Dave Cockrum connection.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Deathstroke is never morally ambiguous, any 'moral ambiguity' he has is a result of writers pretending he did nothing wrong or was misunderstood and fans buying into what that narrative.
    Disagree. At his best, he's treated fully like a villain, but he has his moments of inner conflict. Especially with regards to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    In terms of personality it's definitely Jonah Hex.

He's a loner who goes around killing every scumbag he sees.
    Oh true, Hex is a great pick.

New 52 Hawkman was this. He even had regeneration and amnesia.