Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default The best type of Superman villains are...?

The kinds that...

Aren’t easily beaten by physical force alone.
    Examples: Business man Lex Luther, Parasite or Metallo.

Or villains that have a good combination of power and cunning.
    Darkseid Brainaic.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

In terms of average execution? The comedy ones. Bizarro, Prankster, and Mxyzptlk are all great, whereas the vast majority of the rest other than Lex top out at "well, it's not hard to see the POTENTIAL there..."
    Buh-bye

Can rock the color purple.

The ones that consider themselves righteous in what they do or reject the concept of morality all together.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

IMO not "mirrors" or some psychological/thematic pattern. People who like that about Batman or Spider-Man villains, as popular examples, will struggle to really appreciate Superman villains because it's a strain to fit them into that mold. And yeah they can often rock the color purple, and yeah, humor is a big thing. Levity is an underrated aspect of Superman, it allows the absurd to expand and breathe. I think a writer is doing well if they've given their villain enough room to be kinda funny.

The best Superman villains are adaptable. Superman's special ability is to solve seemingly infinite problems, so you have to supply him with as many problems as you can. You have to change and adapt. Lex, Mxy, and Brainiac give the most looks. Bizarro is the endless amusement
    of the ability to get something wrong. Doomsday seems like a blunt meathead but endures because his actual power is literal adaptation. Prankster is arguably my favorite because he's a very plain man with the strength of ideas. Winslow Schott and Jack Nimball are iconic because "toy" is an endlessly broad weapon. Henshaw has power versatility at a high level and pursues termination while being unable to die. The Eradicator constantly re examines the concepts of sentience and species relations. Parasite can take on any ability or level of power, in addition to functioning as a mantle. Metallo is another mantle, and we see his struggle to try to adapt voluntarily or not. Mongul is a legacy that uses just about every galactic threat trope. Even a lesser recurring villain like Terra Man has a wide and ever changing arsenal.

There are some pretty solid villains who don't change a whole lot, but at one point or another we stopped seeing them. Like not much Silver Banshee over the last 30 years. Darkseid is a great recurring enemy, but limited as he's often at the mercy of what another story needs him to be. The last "major" villain I guess is Zod, and to me he's the biggest exception. Nothing about the approaches to his character really outshine the high concept of "Superman with a mustache." You can say that gives him similar or equal variety to the universe's greatest problem solver, but imo he just ends up feeling forced... like they'll just have him do whatever to stay relevant and do whatever lets him say that line about kneeling.

Ones that are written well!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Mirror Superman. superman himself.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    IMO not "mirrors" or some psychological/thematic pattern. People who like that about Batman or Spider-Man villains, as popular examples, will struggle to really appreciate Superman villains because it's a strain to fit them into that mold. And yeah they can often rock the color purple, and yeah, humor is a big thing. Levity is an underrated aspect of Superman, it allows the absurd to expand and breathe. I think a writer is doing well if they've given their villain enough room to be kinda funny.

The best Superman villains are adaptable. Superman's special ability is to solve seemingly infinite problems, so you have to supply him with as many problems as you can. You have to change and adapt. Lex, Mxy, and Brainiac give the most looks. Bizarro is the endless amusement
    of the ability to get something wrong. Doomsday seems like a blunt meathead but endures because his actual power is literal adaptation. Prankster is arguably my favorite because he's a very plain man with the strength of ideas. Winslow Schott and Jack Nimball are iconic because "toy" is an endlessly broad weapon. Henshaw has power versatility at a high level and pursues termination while being unable to die. The Eradicator constantly re examines the concepts of sentience and species relations. Parasite can take on any ability or level of power, in addition to functioning as a mantle. Metallo is another mantle, and we see his struggle to try to adapt voluntarily or not. Mongul is a legacy that uses just about every galactic threat trope. Even a lesser recurring villain like Terra Man has a wide and ever changing arsenal.

There are some pretty solid villains who don't change a whole lot, but at one point or another we stopped seeing them. Like not much Silver Banshee over the last 30 years. Darkseid is a great recurring enemy, but limited as he's often at the mercy of what another story needs him to be. The last "major" villain I guess is Zod, and to me he's the biggest exception. Nothing about the approaches to his character really outshine the high concept of "Superman with a mustache." You can say that gives him similar or equal variety to the universe's greatest problem solver, but imo he just ends up feeling forced... like they'll just have him do whatever to stay relevant and do whatever lets him say that line about kneeling.
    Wow that’s a terrific write up about how an ideal Superman Rogues Gallery should work. Kudos man.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Thanks, I had to go back and still feel like there are some considerable villains I forgot. I only remembered Terra Man because you wrote about him recently
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Thanks, I had to go back and still feel like there are some considerable villains I forgot. I only remembered Terra Man because you wrote about him recently
    I’m glad someone reads my long rants lol.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Editors. His best villains are editors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m glad someone reads my long rants lol.
    We all do, man. Often I just have nothing else to add but "yeah, my guy here is right."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like the brain vs brawn thing... if we're not talking about Superman who has a super-brain and super-learning
    Though I like Brainiac too for his spaceship cool factor

I think his best villains are regular people without powers. Lex, Prankster, Emil Hamilton, Toyman, Morgan Edge, etc...

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Best villains are bald.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 02-28-2021 at 08:14 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Best villains are bald.

Superman himself was bald once upon a time.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"