Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel characters with a Ph.D?

Which characters do you know have a Ph.D. which is short for Philosophy Doctor (Doctor of Philosophy)?

Reed Richards - has about 30 or more PhDs
    Bruce Banner - has seven or eight PhDs, which he claimed he has in a Thor MCU movie.
    Dr. Strange - has a degree in neurosurgery
    Henry Pym - has PhDs in biochemistry and entomology
    Dr. Octopus
    Curt Connors
    Professor X (Charles Francis Xavier) - has got a degree in genetics from the University of Oxford

I don't know if Hank McCoy ever got any degree from a college.

Peter Parker had a PhD in biophysics but it was revoked due to plagiarism

Doctor Doom was expelled from university so he didn't get a doctorate. He's probably the only doctor without a doctorate

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

Doctor Doom was expelled from university so he didn't get a doctorate. He's probably the only doctor without a doctorate
    What stops him from giving himself one?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

T'Challa has multiple.

Fantastic Member

Toni Ho has three

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Dr Tony Stark probably has one or two.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Which characters do you know have a Ph.D. which is short for Philosophy Doctor (Doctor of Philosophy)?

I don't know if Hank McCoy ever got any degree from a college.
    Yes, in fact, Hank has 6 PhDs. By the way, Xavier's is considered an accredited institution of higher learning. Not saying all of Beast's degrees come from XSFGY, but all are valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Dr Tony Stark probably has one or two.
    I believe Tony Stark has a master's degree in mechanical engineering but it's not the same as a doctor's degree, although it's more advanced than a bachelor's degree. I don't remember Tony Stark ever being called professor or doctor.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

T'Challa has a Ph.D. in Physics from Oxford. Not sure if that was retconned or something.

Movie Hank Pym is even more accomplished than his comic counterpart according to franchise director Peyton Reed. Movie Pym has accreditations in Physics, Chemistry, Entomology, Metallurgy and more.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 02-26-2021 at 06:46 AM.

I think The Wizard (Bentley Wittman) is supposed to have multiple doctorates.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    What stops him from giving himself one?
    Well, Doom can get a doctorate from the University of Latveria if there is a University of Latveria.

This is not a complete list -- for example, Adam Brashear who has two PhDs isn't listed -- but it might help somewhat. Most of the individual character entries show their education level, but again, this being a voluntary wiki run by fans, some of the info may be incomplete.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Categoryoctors

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Scientists

Lastly, don't forget that lawyers receive the equivalent of a Ph.D. in the form of the Juris Doctor or Doctor of Jurisprudence degree. So depending on the scope of your inquiry, you can include characters like She-Hulk and Daredevil in the list. (Obviously, attorneys don't generally run around using the "Dr." title. "Esq." is more the acceptable professional standard.)
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I believe Tony Stark has a master's degree in mechanical engineering but it's not the same as a doctor's degree, although it's more advanced than a bachelor's degree. I don't remember Tony Stark ever being called professor or doctor.
    Tony has PhDs in Physics, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. It's not just a Master's of ME.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yes, in fact, Hank has 6 PhDs. By the way, Xavier's is considered an accredited institution of higher learning. Not saying all of Beast's degrees come from XSFGY, but all are valid.
    Ah, I see. I thought Xavier Institute was a secondary education school since the original X-Men were all under the age of 18. So Xavier Institute is an escalator school made of all levels from kindergarten to college level

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator_school
    Last edited by Zauriel; 02-26-2021 at 07:10 AM. Reason: I meant escalator not elevator

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

Lastly, don't forget that lawyers receive the equivalent of a Ph.D. in the form of the Juris Doctor or Doctor of Jurisprudence degree. So depending on the scope of your inquiry, you can include characters like She-Hulk and Daredevil in the list. (Obviously, attorneys don't generally run around using the "Dr." title. "Esq." is more the acceptable professional standard.)
    There is another Doctor of Law degree called Legum Doctor (LL.D.). It is a doctorate-level academic degree in law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legum_Doctor

There is another Doctor of Law degree called Legum Doctor (LL.D.). It is a doctorate-level academic degree in law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legum_Doctor
    Yeah, is the intent of the thread to list characters with doctoral degrees or just those with a PhD?

If it's any doctoral degree (including law and medicine), I nominate Thor. Two Thors, actually. I leave it to the reader to discover how and why, but it really ain't that difficult.

Hank McCoy has been confirmed to have a doctorate in a Star Trek/X-Men crossover in which he and Leonard both respond to Dr. McCoy.