Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Lastly, don't forget that lawyers receive the equivalent of a Ph.D. in the form of the Juris Doctor or Doctor of Jurisprudence degree. So depending on the scope of your inquiry, you can include characters like She-Hulk and Daredevil in the list. (Obviously, attorneys don't generally run around using the "Dr." title. "Esq." is more the acceptable professional standard.)
    A Juris Doctor is not the equivalent of a PhD. It's an advanced degree on par with a master's degree. There are also masters of laws degrees and doctor of laws degrees for those who already have a JD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Well, Doom can get a doctorate from the University of Latveria if there is a University of Latveria.
    If there was not an University of Latveria, he probably built one just for this purpose.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yeah, is the intent of the thread to list characters with doctoral degrees or just those with a PhD?

If it's any doctoral degree (including law and medicine), I nominate Thor. Two Thors, actually. I leave it to the reader to discover how and why, but it really ain't that difficult.
    A medicinal doctor's equivalent to a PhD is called Doctor of Medicine (abbreviated M.D.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Medicine

Doesn't MCU Jane Foster have a master's degree in astrophysics?

A medicinal doctor's equivalent to a PhD is called Doctor of Medicine (abbreviated M.D.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Medicine

Doesn't MCU Jane Foster have a master's degree in astrophysics?
    According to this, she has the title doctor:

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fand...ki/Jane_Foster

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    A Juris Doctor is not the equivalent of a PhD. It's an advanced degree on par with a master's degree. There are also masters of laws degrees and doctor of laws degrees for those who already have a JD.
    You are correct. Richard Nixon, Bill and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama all have had a Juris Doctor. The current united States senators who were lawyers have a JD. The entire SCOTUS have a Juris Doctor. Every US Attorney General since the 1970's have had a JD.

Which characters do you know have a Ph.D. which is short for Philosophy Doctor (Doctor of Philosophy)?

Reed Richards - has about 30 or more PhDs
    Bruce Banner - has seven or eight PhDs, which he claimed he has in a Thor MCU movie.
    Dr. Strange - has a degree in neurosurgery
    Henry Pym - has PhDs in biochemistry and entomology
    Dr. Octopus
    Curt Connors
    Professor X (Charles Francis Xavier) - has got a degree in genetics from the University of Oxford

I don't know if Hank McCoy ever got any degree from a college.

Peter Parker had a PhD in biophysics but it was revoked due to plagiarism

Doctor Doom was expelled from university so he didn't get a doctorate. He's probably the only doctor without a doctorate
    Dr. Strange is an M.D., not a Ph.D. to the best of my knowledge. While it's always tough to figure out when superheroes have the time for education. I'm pretty sure Hank McCoy has a Ph.D. Probably has since before he was working at Brand (where he became the hairy Beast).
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

There is another Doctor of Law degree called Legum Doctor (LL.D.). It is a doctorate-level academic degree in law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legum_Doctor
    That's right. A J.D. is not a "real" doctorate. (I say this as a lawyer.)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    If there was not an University of Latveria, he probably built one just for this purpose.
    Here is an interesting article for forumers to read in case they haven't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Dr. Strange is an M.D., not a Ph.D. to the best of my knowledge. While it's always tough to figure out when superheroes have the time for education. I'm pretty sure Hank McCoy has a Ph.D. Probably has since before he was working at Brand (where he became the hairy Beast).
    I stand corrected. Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) is different from Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D).

Professor Xavier gave Hank McCoy a PhD. As a teacher and professor, Charles Xavier may have been authorized to.

Doesn't Amadeus Cho already have a PhD? I know he is young but he is already very smart, he could have earned a degree. In real life, there are kids Cho's age who earned a doctorate.

Doesn't Amadeus Cho already have a PhD? I know he is young but he is already very smart, he could have earned a degree. In real life, there are kids Cho's age who earned a doctorate.
    616 Amadeus Cho is apparently a high school drop-out and is largely self-educated. You may be thinking of the Amadeus Cho from the Ultimate Universe who had like 3 doctorates.

On a related note, I'm still waiting for someone to name whatever doctorate Marvel lazily gave Sue Storm.
    How can you give someone a qualification and not state what it's in? You can't say you did a good thing. How lazy.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Dr. Monica Rappaccini Phd, a Physicist like Banner.

Dr. Alice Nugent aka Dr.Spectrum. Unknown worked as a Scientist under Pym.

Dr. Karla Sofen MD in Psychiatry & Phd in Psychology aka Moonstone/Meteorite.

Dr. Voletta Todd Nuclear Physicist. aka Ion

Dr. Tania Belinskaya MD Neurosurgeon aka Starlight. A Neurosurgeon close friend of Doctor Strange. She was also part of Defenders. But she is an MD (Doctor of Medicine) though not a Phd Scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Tony has PhDs in Physics, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. It's not just a Master's of ME.
    Thank you for posting this. You beat me to it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Brian Braddock has a PhD in Physics
    Last edited by rhaenylis; 03-04-2021 at 02:34 AM.

obviously not Peter Parker (anymore)...