Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Disappearing Image Books...

Man, I seem to pick the Image books that just kinda show up when they get find a free minute.

Lazarus - Rucka said in the back matter of the last issue "see you in March". Nope. Feels like this book is going to become more and more sporadic. Rucka had mentioned at the end of Vol 1 that Lark was a little burned out, maybe they should just call it a day?
    Adventureman - Solid first four issues. Nothing since October, not even much of "Hey, we'll be back in the spring!". Not really the way to follow up on a solid launch. (Dodson did say on Twitter he was working on the art, but still...)
    Ascender - #15 and 16 were solicited for Jan/Feb, then disappeared off the Previews and Image listings. And now nothing in March.
    Saga - Two and a half years, and counting. And now Vaughn is working on a Buck Rodgers tv show.

I get these are all creator owned, and they have to make a living doing multiple things, and owe me nothing beyond a best effort. But, it would be cool to at least get the occasional updates. "Hey, we're working on it! Fell a little behind, decided to switch some stuff up, etc. etc."

This is why I think independent creators really need to be realistic about how long their series should go on for. If you can't can't handle an ongoing series, max it out at a 24-issue maxiseries or even less. It's a shame that some series never get a proper ending because their creators bit off more than they could chew.

Meh. My money just goes elsewhere until they come back.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

It's not really a new problem with Image. I was collecting a lot of their books a few years ago. I still remember Morning Glories, Mind the Gap, Five Ghosts, Witch Doctor, Nowhere Men, Green Wake, Bedlam. Some ended abruptly due to lack of sales, some just disappeared because their creators started other projects.

I admit its made me a little wary of committing to new series.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Just enjoy 'em as they come. Been a tough year on everybody and quality is worth waiting for.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    It's not really a new problem with Image. I was collecting a lot of their books a few years ago. I still remember Morning Glories, Mind the Gap, Five Ghosts, Witch Doctor, Nowhere Men, Green Wake, Bedlam. Some ended abruptly due to lack of sales, some just disappeared because their creators started other projects.

I still hold out hope for Five Ghosts returning

They're Not Like Us solicited its final handful of issues and then Stephenson decided to just...not do 'em.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

I mean Dodson was working on Adventure Man for a long time before it official came out. He was working on Red One then that one stopped. He said he was going to come back. The thing is he is working right now on European comics which means al four issues than break never something long run. Rucka also does Black Magick which also is being turned into a show. Monstress at times will go for a long while. Saga the last I heard they are trying to work more stories so they don't go on so many breaks

I was thinking about morning glories the other day.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I don't have a problem with this. I'd rather they put out a new issue when they're ready to.

I cannot begrudge anyone for not making deadlines this year. Any plans went out the window back in March, and not enough has changed in a good way for anything to be back on track.

The reality might be that retail being what it is right now, putting these books out instead of waiting, could lead to pretty bad sales numbers, and thus cancelation. I dunno...

Astonishing Member

At least Seven to Eternity is back on track after two years.

With Lazarus I don't mind, because I like it so much and they are constantly working on it, so you know it will come out.

With Saga...its ashame, but Fiona is working on it, least I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Man, I seem to pick the Image books that just kinda show up when they get find a free minute.

Lazarus - Rucka said in the back matter of the last issue "see you in March". Nope. Feels like this book is going to become more and more sporadic. Rucka had mentioned at the end of Vol 1 that Lark was a little burned out, maybe they should just call it a day?
    Adventureman - Solid first four issues. Nothing since October, not even much of "Hey, we'll be back in the spring!". Not really the way to follow up on a solid launch. (Dodson did say on Twitter he was working on the art, but still...)
    Ascender - #15 and 16 were solicited for Jan/Feb, then disappeared off the Previews and Image listings. And now nothing in March.
    Saga - Two and a half years, and counting. And now Vaughn is working on a Buck Rodgers tv show.

I get these are all creator owned, and they have to make a living doing multiple things, and owe me nothing beyond a best effort. But, it would be cool to at least get the occasional updates. "Hey, we're working on it! Fell a little behind, decided to switch some stuff up, etc. etc."
    This is what burned me out on comics for quite a long time back in the 90s. The release on battle chasers and steampunk drove me mad. I'm not the type that can handle that sort of release schedule.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This is what burned me out on comics for quite a long time back in the 90s. The release on battle chasers and steampunk drove me mad. I'm not the type that can handle that sort of release schedule.
    In your position times likes these are gold because of the massive output of trade paper backs...

Warren Ellis says two more volumes of Injection are coming this year to finally conclude the series: https://warrenellis.ltd/closedown/closedown-22apr20/

So that's some good news. I thought it was done. No news about Trees though, as far as I know.

Edit: I just noticed that "news" is from nine months ago. Let's hope it's still true.