Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Your opinion on the "cameo/preview/1st appearance" debate

I recently purchased Tech Jacket #1 and Noble Causes Family Secrets 3, because they both predate Invincible #1 by a few months. Since TJ #1 is just a six page preview of issue 1, I noticed that Omni-Man actually appears on a TV screen in Mark's living room. It got me thinking: should this be considered Omni-Man's first cameo appearance? It's not been regarded as such as far as I can tell.

This question really became a microcosm of this cameo vs first full appearance debate that is really prevalent in the hobby right now, and stuff like this has happened ALOT throughout Image's history. So I'd love to know where everyone falls on this debate. Does the 1st full appearance only really matter? Does none of it matter? Your thoughts below!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    I recently purchased Tech Jacket #1 and Noble Causes Family Secrets 3, because they both predate Invincible #1 by a few months. Since TJ #1 is just a six page preview of issue 1, I noticed that Omni-Man actually appears on a TV screen in Mark's living room. It got me thinking: should this be considered Omni-Man's first cameo appearance? It's not been regarded as such as far as I can tell.

This question really became a microcosm of this cameo vs first full appearance debate that is really prevalent in the hobby right now, and stuff like this has happened ALOT throughout Image's history. So I'd love to know where everyone falls on this debate. Does the 1st full appearance only really matter? Does none of it matter? Your thoughts below!!!!
    My opinion is the TV appearance was basically an Easter Egg and nothing that would convince me to pick it, unless it was my character.
    As to a preview story, we have two versions of this. Like the example you point out, the pages were from the first issue and to me, unnecessary to get unless I was actually missing the first issue. Something like the New teen Titans preview in DC Comics Presents is different as it had its own original story. That, to me, is a first appearnce.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    My opinion is the TV appearance was basically an Easter Egg and nothing that would convince me to pick it, unless it was my character.
    As to a preview story, we have two versions of this. Like the example you point out, the pages were from the first issue and to me, unnecessary to get unless I was actually missing the first issue. Something like the New teen Titans preview in DC Comics Presents is different as it had its own original story. That, to me, is a first appearnce.
    I definitely see where you're coming from. I'm pretty fluid on the matter myself, I buy whichever one suits my needs and whichever one I can afford/am willing to spend money on. For example, I am content with owning Hulk 180 as opposed to forking out the cash for 181. My only major criteria when buying is that it has to be an actual COMIC appearance. I think it's absolutely nuts that people actually seek out and are willing to buy old Diamond previews and such that have nothing but cover solicits of upcoming characters, (this is happening a lot with Miles Morales), but even I realize that this is a slippery slope and I've broken my own rule a time or two.

Mighty Member

I'll see that more as an Easter Egg.
    It's not something I would count as a first appearance, but a fun slice of unknown trivia.

If the character was introduced at the end ie Wolverine In Hulk #180, then I'll include that as a first appearance, but the next issue would count as the first full appearance.
    I want to make it clear however, it doesn't really matter either way. The Question comes down to what would you want more, the character on a page or the character on every page?

Astonishing Member

IMO, Marvel's Gambit's first appearance ruined this debate. He first showed up in print in an Uncanny X-Men Annual. He was all over the story but it's considered a cameo. I guess after that I just go by whatever the majority say.