Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I try to stay very open minded but I am alarmed at someone writing a Superman movie saying they were never into Superman.
    I understand this concern completely, but I take comfort in knowing he won’t be the only creative involved in this movie. J.J is involved as a producer and he’s a long time fan of the character and they could easily find a great filmmaker who has a passion for the character that can influence the creative direction of the film. For myself, I’m less bothered that he isn’t a fan of the character he’s working on than I am that he’s really not a screenwriter. He’s a well-known essayist that’s revered on those on the left. Yeah, sure, he’s written for similar Superman-esque character like Captain America but there’s a staunch difference between comic writing and screenwriting, and as far as I can tell his comic book work hasn’t been very well-received which makes me question the decision to bring this person to write this.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    He didn't "blew" anything. Everything went to sh*t because of Snyder AND WB.
    I agree. I think Cavill has given great performances as Superman. The problems are in the writing and directing, there's only so much any actor can do with what he's been given.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

DC isn't messing things up because we don't know what it is, we don't know if Cavil is coming back, We don't know if they are casting a new white superman, we don't know if they are casting black superman. We don't know if the DC higher ups will like Coates screenplay and approve it, etc But for the point I was making it, if WB/DC see nothing but negative feedback right now, They can course adjust so nothing but good can from this information being released this is just the planning stage as far as we know.
    True.

However the MOMENT they decide Coates's script is not the right one or he moves on-you already know who is going to FEAST on that Ray Fisher and Nadria Tucker.

DC could have saved face by saying Coates is among the group of writers we are looking at. Avoid most of this backlash. We saw Marvel do this with Ava and there was no ill blood after she declined.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    True.

However the MOMENT they decide Coates's script is not the right one or he moves on-you already know who is going to FEAST on that Ray Fisher and Nadria Tucker.

DC could have saved face by saying Coates is among the group of writers we are looking at. Avoid most of this backlash. We saw Marvel do this with Ava and there was no ill blood after she declined.
    Yeah, moving away from Coates after the announcement will be problematic now. The only way I can see WB doing it and avoinding black lash is if Coates walk away by choice and if they bring a black writer to take his place, the perfect choice would be John Ridley, who should have been the first choice actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I'm not sure that fanbase is very big at all, to be honest. And I don't think the General Audience is gonna care at all.
    31AF4ECA-3B8F-423A-B449-CB8BABDE3EAF.jpg
    I don’t think they’re very big either. But they’re loud. They’ve been vocally screaming their displeasure in all the comment sections of all the DC social media accounts. And given the Snyder Cut ends on cliffhanger that’s only going to encourage them to keep pushing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I wouldn't imagine anywhere you look on social media is going to be more a few percents optimistic or cautiously optimistic. The best case scenario will receive modest credit and poor profit. It's a resounding"do not want" before even a single detail is confirmed

And they're watching. They were surprised and upset by the poor reception to Man of Steel. People think they inexplicably try to lose money but it won't happen like that again
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    WB doesn't owe him anything. He had his chance and blew it.

There are better actors.
    There are better actors, but I don't if he's the one who really blew his chance. He's a weaker actor but was still given underwhelming material and direction to begin with.

I'd say it's more accurate to say the studio and him don't really owe each other anything.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There are better actors, but I don't if he's the one who really blew his chance. He's a weaker actor but was still given underwhelming material and direction to begin with.

I'd say it's more accurate to say the studio and him don't really owe each other anything.
    I doubt Henry Cavill is losing much sleep over this anyway. I mean it goes without saying he’s generally liked by a good majority of DCEU fans whether they support Snyder’s direction or a more comic accurate portrayal. He’s got well received roles in The Witcher and Mission Impossible, a possible leading role in a Mass Effect adaptation, probably is getting all types of offers from Feige to enter the MCU, and has a decent shot at James Bond if he campaigned for the job. He’s on a solid track towards A-list status in the next few years, Superman or not.

WB is who I’d be worried about, the only reason they didn’t bring Cavill back is because they’re under the impression they can extract money out of the Superman brand without his controversial iteration of the character. Especially when he seems to be demanding more money and creative control than they believe he’s worth. Hence shows like Superman and Lois, a possible Supergirl project post-Flash, and a Superman reboot. Time will tell if these attempts to diversify and expand the Superman IP payoff. CW shows are known for having solid first seasons then falling off terribly in terms of writing/production as time goes on. Flash may very well end up being a mess that takes away from Calle’s Supergirl and kills whatever plans they have for the character. And I’m expecting BOP/Captain Marvel levels of toxicity around this black Superman they’re forcing out. WB’s attempts to move past Cavil have a decent chance of blowing up in their face. Or all these projects become massive successes, in which case everyone wins.
    Last edited by chief12d; 02-28-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I understand this concern completely, but I take comfort in knowing he won’t be the only creative involved in this movie. J.J is involved as a producer and he’s a long time fan of the character and they could easily find a great filmmaker who has a passion for the character that can influence the creative direction of the film. For myself, I’m less bothered that he isn’t a fan of the character he’s working on than I am that he’s really not a screenwriter. He’s a well-known essayist that’s revered on those on the left. Yeah, sure, he’s written for similar Superman-esque character like Captain America but there’s a staunch difference between comic writing and screenwriting, and as far as I can tell his comic book work hasn’t been very well-received which makes me question the decision to bring this person to write this.
    Yeah, but look what JJ did to Spidey in the comics when given a chance. He and his son fridged Mary Jane in the very first issue of their widely panned mini-series then they retold Spider-Girl but with a son. So, excuse me if I'm skeptical of JJ saving Superman in movie form.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    31AF4ECA-3B8F-423A-B449-CB8BABDE3EAF.jpg
    I don’t think they’re very big either. But they’re loud. They’ve been vocally screaming their displeasure in all the comment sections of all the DC social media accounts. And given the Snyder Cut ends on cliffhanger that’s only going to encourage them to keep pushing.
    I do hate the Twitter Mob and the platform in general. It truly is the cesspool of the visible Internet.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The vocal Snyderverse stans on Twitter are just inexplicable, but at the same time I'm pleased to see all pushback on this idiotic idea from multiple avenues.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Don’t know if the idea of a black Superman is inherently idiotic because at the end of the day it all depends on execution. If they use Clark Kent(which would be my preference) then I’m fine even if I’m not keen on race-changing the character. I’ll reserve judgement once we get more information on the project, and if they move forward with it enough to get a director announced.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm probably in the minority around here, but I'm intrigued about the project and I have no problem with a racebend Clark Kent or whatever this is going to be.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

A Coates Superman movie isn't going to be about Val Zod or Ellis. He doesn't even know who those characters are.

Truthfully, we know absolutely nothing for sure right now, except the strong, strong, strong inclination the character will be black. Beyond that, what Coates knows or doesn't know doesn't really suggest who that character will be, though indeed it is very likely he knows nothing about the mythos at all outside the obvious judging by past comments that he doesn't read DC. And yeah I used that excuse against the idea it being a black version of Jon but thinking it over that logic doesn't slam the door shut on anything. Its more than easy to imagine DC saying, "here, use this character, his name is such-and-such, go nuts". Or, they came to him and asked him to craft something completely from the ground-up. We just don't know. In this line of thinking, perhaps its even too soon to say its not just going to be a black Clark. But speaking of that...

My extreme pushback, and what I mean by idiotic is the idea of making a movie for what would be an addition to the mythos when the foundation of that mythos is unestablished. Marvel introduced Miles via Peter, the lynchpin of it all. Clark Kent/Kal-El is the lynchpin of the Super mythos. This would be a complete non-issue to me if Superman was established (in a successful line, not a dead venture the company's obviously done with) and they utilized that to introduce another version and springboard off it. If that is the case, that is my problem. If it isn't, obviously this is all moot.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-28-2021 at 01:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El