Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    By the time that the Coates/Abrams SM will be released or enter in production, the Jon as SM experiment will be already over.

It could be of inspiration for the CW series though.
    You sure? If Coates is aiming to be done by Dec, and they start production in 2022 I can see the movie coming out in 2023 to coincide with Superman’s 85th anniversary. Don’t know how long they’re planning to stick with Jon, but it feels like they’d want to push this until 2025 at least, 4-5 years like the original 5G plan. I am curious how they’ll tie into what the film side is doing, if they tie in at all.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Clark Kent: I Am Curious (Black).
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You sure? If Coates is aiming to be done by Dec, and they start production in 2022 I can see the movie coming out in 2023 to coincide with Superman’s 85th anniversary. Don’t know how long they’re planning to stick with Jon, but it feels like they’d want to push this until 2025 at least, 4-5 years like the original 5G plan. I am curious how they’ll tie into what the film side is doing, if they tie in at all.
    I can't see the Jon thing and gladiator SM (or whatever PKJ will do) lasting 4/5 years. DC will be dead and publish only BM comics in 2025 if they'll drag 5G for so long. lol It's a 2 years stunt at max, waiting the 2023 big event rumored by BC to bring things back to normal.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Way to drop this on Cavills birthday WB. Very classy of you.
    This isn't an announcement from WB, it's a report from THR and who cares about how Cavill feels after his dumbass #MeToo comments.

It would be nice to have a Superman that isn't played by an actor who can't keep their BS to themselves.

The biggest fears people had are gone. JJ isn't directing and Superman will be Kal-El/Clark Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Clark Kent: I Am Curious (Black).
    No no no.

This won't be a blackface story. Superman will be black, not someone white using a machine to appear black.
    Last edited by Kara Danvers; 05-05-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Coates is still writing the script though. Man I wish it had been John Ridley instead, he gets Superman and is an Oscar winning scriptwriter already working for DC!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Coates is still writing the script though. Man I wish it had been John Ridley instead, he gets Superman and is an Oscar winning scriptwriter already working for DC!
    The director will have his/her say on the script. It'll not be a 100% Coates movie.

I can't see the Jon thing and gladiator SM (or whatever PKJ will do) lasting 4/5 years. DC will be dead and publish only BM comics in 2025 if they'll drag 5G for so long. lol It's a 2 years stunt at max, waiting the 2023 big event rumored by BC to bring things back to normal.
    We’ll see, I don’t get why they’re so committed to this if it’s “just a prank bro ”. Obviously comics always return to status quo but Jon becoming Superman wasn’t exactly something that grabs a lot of headlines since it’s just Clark’s white straight son taking over.
    The director will have his/her say on the script. It'll not be a 100% Coates movie.
    Yeah but are any of the directors on the shortlist actual Superman comic fans? Because that’s something Superman needs, someone who is an actual fan and knowledgeable about the source material.

We’ll see, I don’t get why they’re so committed to this if it’s “just a prank bro ”. Obviously comics always return to status quo but Jon becoming Superman wasn’t exactly something that grabs a lot of headlines since it’s just Clark’s white straight son taking over.
    Tell that to DiDio, he was fooled by Jurgens that Jon was the future of DC.

From my understanding, they started planning Super-Jon in late 2017 (that's when Bendis joined DC) and the set up for it began in 2018's SM comics. It predates Abrams making a deal with WB, Coates' pitches or even the CW SM show being greelight. It's its own thing, that, at the time, DiDio and WB though it could've potential for adaptations (as the whole 5G). After years spent to build up to it and Bendis being still at DC, they are not going to drop it overnight. But still I don't see DC being invested in it past 2 or 2,5 years. In the end, it's a leftover of a previous regime.

Yeah but are any of the directors on the shortlist actual Superman comic fans? Because that’s something Superman needs, someone who is an actual fan and knowledgeable about the source material.
    I assume they have also consultants and DC higher ups (Jim Lee?) will have their say on the project too.

If it’s a flop they can just abandon it then, much less risky then being stuck with another failed Superman reboot as part of their shared universe. That they’re doing a black Clark basically means it will probably be as repetitive as it can get. I’m expecting Lex to be the bad guy yet again. I have no real interest in seeing this, curious to see if anyone else does though. WB definitely is expecting to see this do Black Panther numbers which is pretty much setting this up to fail.
    I don't have an interest in seeing this, but I'll still wind up seeing it. Just probably not in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    The biggest fears people had are gone. JJ isn't directing and Superman will be Kal-El/Clark Kent.
    Actually for many of us this was one of our biggest fears confirmed, so the opposite of gone.

it’s just Clark’s white straight son taking over.
    I mean, not according to all the Jon/Damian shippers.

Tell that to DiDio, he was fooled by Jurgens that Jon was the future of DC.

From my understanding, they started planning Super-Jon in late 2017 (that's when Bendis joined DC) and the set up for it began in 2018's SM comics. It predates Abrams making a deal with WB, Coates' pitches or even the CW SM show being greelight. It's its own thing, that, at the time, DiDio and WB though it could've potential for adaptations (as the whole 5G). After years spent to build up to it and Bendis being still at DC, they are not going to drop it overnight. But still I don't see DC being invested in it past 2 or 2,5 years. In the end, it's a leftover of a previous regime.

I assume they have also consultants and DC higher ups (Jim Lee?) will have their say on the project too.
    Oh boy Jim Lee being asked about Superman, I’m sure that will go well lmao. If they were asking Morrison, Yang, Ridley, or Busiek I’d feel more confident but Lee is... basic at best.

I totally agree that Jon is a holdover from the previous regime, which is why it’s odd they don’t just dump that like they’re dumping Wally going evil. I don’t agree that the new guard isn’t interested in this, they wouldn’t be giving it to Taylor, their current golden boy, if they weren’t at least hoping he’d be able to make it more palatable. Maybe they’re thinking about this in terms of what will be done with the “mainstream” Superman since this reboot doesn’t seem to be set on “Earth 1”? Have Jon take over for Supergirl? I’m just spitballing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean, not according to all the Jon/Damian shippers.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if Taylor tossed them a bone since he’s the king of pandering to Twitter/Reddit but as of right now Jon has only expressed interest in women.

All-New Member

This isn't an announcement from WB, it's a report from THR and who cares about how Cavill feels after his dumbass #MeToo comments.

It would be nice to have a Superman that isn't played by an actor who can't keep their BS to themselves.

No no no.

This won't be a blackface story. Superman will be black, not someone white using a machine to appear black.
    I like Henry Cavill, personally. So I care, for one... Pretty sure I'm not alone either. And yes you seem to be a little tone deaf on what others biggest fears are / are not. What made you so self aggrandising that you feel you can speak for everyone?
    Last edited by random82; 05-05-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Hmmm, the list of directors sounds interesting. More concerned with casting and writing. Not surprised at all they are going with Clark. Val Zod and Calvin Ellis were pipedreams I think. (as was Cavill and a restored "Snyderverse" honestly) SuperObama was never going to fly, and Val Zod is way to complicated. I think there are definitely aspects of the myth that can lend itself to exploration of race, but there is always been an element of "passing" inherent in the character - Yang has discussed it a few times - that gets lost here. But, I'm intrigued for now. See what else develops.

And the period piece aspect is odd, though they say "20th Century" which can entail anything from the 40's through the 90's. So who knows.

No no no.

What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with that and mind you, Cavill didn't say anything wrong and the reaction he got only proved his point. It was just poor taste that WB would drop this news on his bday. And there are PLENTY of actors who can't keep their bs to themselves.
    Last edited by Prime; 05-05-2021 at 02:41 PM.