Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I'm still excited and I don't see there being a Lois. I imagine it will be his universes Wonder Woman.
    Well then that’s phenomenally stupid and a complete wasted opportunity. Wonder Woman and Lois do not take up the same space in narratives and there’s value, specifically, in creating some kind of Lois analogue to be cherished and adored who, in the words of that piece “can save herself but is also worth saving” that Wonder Woman doesn’t fulfill in a narrative. Especially in a cultural landscape that is so resistant to using Black women as “until the end of time” love interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Superman is definitely going to be black in this reboot. It makes sense since WB has had no idea how to use the character as he normally is portrayed. So making him black is an easy fix and a way to generate buzz for their studio. I’m sure the success of Miles Morales’ movie, all but sealed the deal. I hope they take a page from Marvel and don’t just change the character’s race. I’m really hoping it’s Val Zod or Calvin Ellis.

I guess I’m too “traditional” because this news doesn’t excite me. I’ve been hoping for a fun well made Superman movie where he finally fights Brainiac. I’m tired of the attempts at deep introspective movies about Superman’s hardships, what the symbol represents, etc. Making Superman black will no doubt lead to the movie exploring heavily the issue of race in America (and the world). What happens when the most powerful man in the world is black? I think it’s an interesting idea to explore, but it’s not something I want to be the basis of a new Superman franchise.
    Tbh we still don't know that. What if they make a Superman movie dealing with all those issues. But Honestly I'm tired of that sh*t. Give us a fun Superman movie.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Calvin Ellis's Wonder Woman is confirmed to be Nubia, a WW character. Who he doesn't seem to have anything but a work/friend relationship with.

It'd be easy to write in a black Lois as his love interest, she just may not be named Lois. He's not named "Clark," so she might have a similar but different LL name and be the equivalent of main Earth Lois.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Man, I'm sorry you guys had to put up with that.
    We've all endured rough runs for our favorites, but this one (at least hearing all this second hand) sounds especially rough.
    We were told we were HORRIBLE fans for not liking it and we had to endure TROLLING by a variety of folks. Some who loved what Coates was doing and others who hated Black Panther to begin with. John Stewart fans know what that feels like.

The spinoffs BP Crew & WOW were about OTHER folks. Which is okay if they were promoted that way but they were NOT. Both got axed after issue 2.

He wanted to do a STORM book (the main folks who defended his run) and expect the next writer to keep it the same way Coates leaves it.

As for the Black Panther stuff, that’s fucking pathetic. I can’t believe reviews were heralding that run as special.
    Notice how many of those reviews came out MONTHS before the book. I can understand that for a novel but not a comic that can change within 3-6 months.

I'm just perplexed why this company keep hiring people that do NOT understand the character? Like at all.
    Sometimes it comes down to a NAME. The name on the package is more important that the contents.

Folks wonder why DC goes after YA writers or why Marvel hired Coates-they are names in industries that normally IGNORE comics.

If WB had hired say Danny Strong (Buffy & co-creator of Empire)-the black media would not care. Along with some other outlets.

Coates-guess who is talking and paying attention (never mind some them were the same ones who IGNORED Static Shock and bashed Milestone).

I SUSPECT they hope while hardcore Superman fans jump ship-the ones who follow a Coates will fill in the holes. Along with regular movie fans.

Now the other issue with this is-how many folks are going to get called RACIST if they say they are not interested in the film or have LEGIT concerns?

Because right now-the usual suspects have ammo to scream diversity hire that will drown out all the legit concerns.

Extraordinary Member

Calvin Ellis's Wonder Woman is confirmed to be Nubia, a WW character. Who he doesn't seem to have anything but a work/friend relationship with.

It'd be easy to write in a black Lois as his love interest, she just may not be named Lois. He's not named "Clark," so she might have a similar but different LL name and be the equivalent of main Earth Lois.
    But Calvin is President of the USA. You can’t exactly date as President. If anything, he should have already been married. I wonder who is love interest is.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You’re winning me over. Giving Jon a black LI like you hypothesized could definitely be a way to line things up. If it the new writer is black, consider me a convert to your theory. I’m still hoping for Calvin because I think he would suit Coates best, and I’ll always be rooting for Morrison’s stuff to get used.

But who would the writer be I wonder? Easton maybe? Thomas would be my first choice given what a great Superman he wrote in his one off MoT issue.
    Priest is a long shot, but he'd absolutely KILL IT. The man got me to read Deathstroke for YEARS. That's a got damn superhuman feat. And on top of that he can write the hell out of not just young adult heroes, but also set a book up so where it's easily adapted. And he's got a Superman story in him that he says people likely wouldn't go for mainstream. Wonder if that changes if it's not Clark? He's doing two books for other publishers right now but nothing exclusive, and he's a guy that'll settle in for a long run.

I also wouldn't mind Thomas. Still need to check out Aquaman to see how much I like him.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm not really concerned with the love interested right now. I'm more infuriating by the fact that they wanna make a Superman movie without Superman in it produced by a guy that drove Star Wars to the ground and written by a guy who has never read anything Superman.

I'd say get Marc Bernardin to write a Black Superman story.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

That scene makes me laugh now because I just think of the old lady from Mars Attacks!

"They blew up Congress! HAHA"
    Man, the Mars Attacks lady is now permanently burned in my mind for this scene. If nothing else it adds an extra layer of unintended hilarity
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

So the guy not only strongly dislikes Superman and DC in general, and by the sounds of it wrote some, let's call it questionable BP material, all of a sudden gets the keys to this car? I wonder if he made a pitch or they just approached him. I mean, what the heck would have his pitch looked like? Now that's a troll job...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The thing with Coates, imo, is that he usually mean what he says in interviews. Before his Black Panther run started, Coates said he didn't liked how T'Challa was a super efficient two-steps ahead type of hero, and wanted to write him as a character that relied more on others and didn't solved everything.
    And boy, he did that.

Too much actually, his BP spended more time thinking about how shity he was as a king, hero, husband, etc, than doing anything else. In the end T'Challa would just make some crap speech that was basically just him admiting his detractors were right and asking them to help him anyway, then Storm would save the day.

So if he says he don't like Superman he probably doesn't.

The worst thing is, Ridley is there already.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 02-26-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I'm still excited and I don't see there being a Lois. I imagine it will be his universes Wonder Woman.
    Whatever Superman we get is definitely going to have a love interest and strong female figure in his life because that's where Coates' real passion is in writing fiction.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The thing with Coates, imo, is that he usually mean what he says in interviews. Before his Black Panther run started, Coates said he didn't liked how T'Challa was a super efficient two-steps ahead type of hero, and wanted to write him as a character that relied more on others and didn't solved everything.
    And boy, he did that.

Too much actually, his BP spended more time thinking about how shity he was as a king, hero, husband, etc, than doing anything else. In the end T'Challa would just make some crap speech that was basically just him admiting his detractors were right and asking them to help him anyway, then Storm would save the day.

THIS and he is not the only one.

I mean what could that pitch have been?

And folks are NOT going to settle on Lois saving the day or being worshipped like Storm has.

Talk about opening the door to the trolls.

I wish they had gotten Greg Pak instead man.

Took some time to think about this, and oddly my gut reaction was more positive than how I feel now. The short version is this feels like a repeat of the Snyder mistakes to me. You have a script writer who is on record as not really liking Superman. You have Abrams who made a mess of Star Wars and Star Trek. You have the insane toxicity this is going to breed, from people mad about the racebending, from Snyder fans, from comic book fans, from Twitter, etc. You have WB and their idiotic mandates, and their obsession with chasing the MCU. I’m not excited for this, but I’m also not too bothered by it. Long as S&L keeps going so we still get Clark Kent rep, then I don’t really care about the movies. If this is awful, hey, at least it’s not “my” Superman, and it keeps Snyder from doing his evil Superman bs with “my” Superman.

Just wait until people start digging into Coates though, all those articles he wrote are the perfect fuel for culture wars especially that 9/11 bit. If WB thinks they can leave the toxicity of the Snyder years behind they’ve got another thing coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Priest is a long shot, but he'd absolutely KILL IT. The man got me to read Deathstroke for YEARS. That's a got damn superhuman feat. And on top of that he can write the hell out of not just young adult heroes, but also set a book up so where it's easily adapted. And he's got a Superman story in him that he says people likely wouldn't go for mainstream. Wonder if that changes if it's not Clark? He's doing two books for other publishers right now but nothing exclusive, and he's a guy that'll settle in for a long run.

I also wouldn't mind Thomas. Still need to check out Aquaman to see how much I like him.
    Priest won’t get it. He’s been gone since Deathstroke & JL wrapped up. Shame because I did enjoy the brief glimpse we got of his Superman in both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I'm not really concerned with the love interested right now. I'm more infuriating by the fact that they wanna make a Superman movie without Superman in it produced by a guy that drove Star Wars to the ground and written by a guy who has never read anything Superman.
    WB’s incompetence is nothing new. But honestly this is probably going to flop. I’m getting major Snyder/Terrio vibes so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    And boy, he did that.

Yeah I would have picked Ridley over Coates in a heartbeat.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/