Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
I make no pretensions: I’m not enthusiastic about this. I didn’t want Superman to be black and I don’t think this is going to be good because that same writer also wrote terrible Black Panther and Cap runs. Coates being able to pump out good essays doesn’t mean he’s a good fit for Superman, if anything his work makes me look at him as a terrible fit for Superman. Coates was all about deconstructing the characters of BP and Cap, both idealistic and optimistic characters at their core, and I’m really just not in the mood for another “but what does Superman mean?” thoughtpiece.

Still this is a step up from Snyder. I wanted just a dumb fun Aquaman type blockbuster, not a Joker type period piece Elseworld, but I guess I don’t really object to them doing this. At best it’s a success we get a new Superman trilogy, maybe some other Golden Age Superman content (sure would be nice if it meant the end of evil Superman stories but I digress), hopefully they’ll push Calvin on the comics side to coincide with this. At worst it flops or underperforms like Superman Returns and BoP did and then they put Superman away for a decade or more and the next person to come along manages to finally crack him. I’d be fine with S&L and the animated side being where Superman gets positive rep.

So: I’ll wait. Can’t trust the trailers after I got burned by Snyder for MoS but I’ll go see it if one of my friends whose opinions I trust signs off on it. I’m neither excited nor angry, just wary for now.
We can agree that this is a step up from Snyder. I think there's 0 chance this movie will be worse than MOS.