Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I make no pretensions: I’m not enthusiastic about this. I didn’t want Superman to be black and I don’t think this is going to be good because that same writer also wrote terrible Black Panther and Cap runs. Coates being able to pump out good essays doesn’t mean he’s a good fit for Superman, if anything his work makes me look at him as a terrible fit for Superman. Coates was all about deconstructing the characters of BP and Cap, both idealistic and optimistic characters at their core, and I’m really just not in the mood for another “but what does Superman mean?” thoughtpiece.

Still this is a step up from Snyder. I wanted just a dumb fun Aquaman type blockbuster, not a Joker type period piece Elseworld, but I guess I don’t really object to them doing this. At best it’s a success we get a new Superman trilogy, maybe some other Golden Age Superman content (sure would be nice if it meant the end of evil Superman stories but I digress), hopefully they’ll push Calvin on the comics side to coincide with this. At worst it flops or underperforms like Superman Returns and BoP did and then they put Superman away for a decade or more and the next person to come along manages to finally crack him. I’d be fine with S&L and the animated side being where Superman gets positive rep.

So: I’ll wait. Can’t trust the trailers after I got burned by Snyder for MoS but I’ll go see it if one of my friends whose opinions I trust signs off on it. I’m neither excited nor angry, just wary for now.
    We can agree that this is a step up from Snyder. I think there's 0 chance this movie will be worse than MOS.

I make no pretensions: I’m not enthusiastic about this. I didn’t want Superman to be black and I don’t think this is going to be good because that same writer also wrote terrible Black Panther and Cap runs. Coates being able to pump out good essays doesn’t mean he’s a good fit for Superman, if anything his work makes me look at him as a terrible fit for Superman. Coates was all about deconstructing the characters of BP and Cap, both idealistic and optimistic characters at their core, and I’m really just not in the mood for another “but what does Superman mean?” thoughtpiece.

Still this is a step up from Snyder. I wanted just a dumb fun Aquaman type blockbuster, not a Joker type period piece Elseworld, but I guess I don’t really object to them doing this. At best it’s a success we get a new Superman trilogy, maybe some other Golden Age Superman content (sure would be nice if it meant the end of evil Superman stories but I digress), hopefully they’ll push Calvin on the comics side to coincide with this. At worst it flops or underperforms like Superman Returns and BoP did and then they put Superman away for a decade or more and the next person to come along manages to finally crack him. I’d be fine with S&L and the animated side being where Superman gets positive rep.

So: I’ll wait. Can’t trust the trailers after I got burned by Snyder for MoS but I’ll go see it if one of my friends whose opinions I trust signs off on it. I’m neither excited nor angry, just wary for now.
    How does one put gifs here man? I forgot. I want to post the Shia applauding one.

Astonishing Member

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...-henry-cavill/

So this and a couple of other articles suggest that WB still wants to keep the door open when it comes to Henry Cavill's Superman. Or maybe they haven't made up their minds and need to soon.

Either way, I don't see them race-bending Clark Kent if they want to keep the white Clark Kent around on the big screen. Which does seem a point in favor of Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod.

That really doesn't say much we don't already know though. To me its more a clickbait-y headline based on a false equivalency. That by this Superman being an alternate universe's Superman, that means Cavill is still on the table. While techincally that could be true, in the sense that the idea of utilizing a multiverse allows for it, in practical purposes every move WB has made since JL still strongly suggests he is done and there really is no internal struggle about it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...-henry-cavill/

So this and a couple of other articles suggest that WB still wants to keep the door open when it comes to Henry Cavill's Superman. Or maybe they haven't made up their minds and need to soon.

Either way, I don't see them race-bending Clark Kent if they want to keep the white Clark Kent around on the big screen. Which does seem a point in favor of Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod.
    WGTC has zero inside knowledge, they literally make articles up for clicks. That said THR and Variety did say that Cavill and WB were talking. If that’s true I assume it’s the same offer they had before, which Cavill isn’t happy with: to cameo/be a side character in other peoples movies with no chance of a solo movie. Basically they’re cool with Cavill showing up in Shazam or get his ass best in Black Adam, but they’re never going to give him another solo movie, hence why the talks have gone nowhere and the latest word is that Cavill along with Affleck and Fisher are done.

Also at this point I don’t see why you guys are still clinging to this being anything other than what it patently is: a black Clark Kent/Kal-El. If they’re drawing on the GA/“original” Superman, that’s Clark. It will be Clark, or a “Calvin” with Clark’s status quo and backstory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That really doesn't say much we don't already know though. To me its more a clickbait-y headline based on a false equivalency. That by this Superman being an alternate universe's Superman, that means Cavill is still on the table. While techincally that could be true, in the sense that the idea of utilizing a multiverse allows for it, in practical purposes every move WB has made since JL still strongly suggests he is done and there really is no internal struggle about it.
    Releasing on a new article about him being replaced on Cavill’s birthday, while probably not deliberate, pretty clearly demonstrates how WB views his role in their future plans lol. I don’t care, I welcome Cavill and what he represents being swept aside, just not sure that the new guys will be any better than the old ones.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

WGTC has zero inside knowledge, they literally make articles up for clicks. That said THR and Variety did say that Cavill and WB were talking. If that’s true I assume it’s the same offer they had before, which Cavill isn’t happy with: to cameo/be a side character in other peoples movies with no chance of a solo movie. Basically they’re cool with Cavill showing up in Shazam or get his ass best in Black Adam, but they’re never going to give him another solo movie, hence why the talks have gone nowhere and the latest word is that Cavill along with Affleck and Fisher are done.

Also at this point I don’t see why you guys are still clinging to this being anything other than what it patently is: a black Clark Kent/Kal-El. If they’re drawing on the GA/“original” Superman, that’s Clark. It will be Clark, or a “Calvin” with Clark’s status quo and backstory.

Releasing on a new article about him being replaced on Cavill’s birthday, while probably not deliberate, pretty clearly demonstrates how WB views his role in their future plans lol. I don’t care, I welcome Cavill and what he represents being swept aside, just not sure that the new guys will be any better than the old ones.
    Good Lord...WB has no shame man. I just remembered they did this again. What a bunch of #@$#@

I see people still can't tell the difference between mind controlled and evil Superman. The idea that this willstop evil Superman from being made is pretty rich given what appears to be happening with that Suicide Squad game. The more I read about reactions to this, the more I see plenty of petty, toxic views among the Superman fandom unbecoming of what is supposed to be a character that supposedly represents the best of humanity.

My response to this news is neutral. I'll wait and see how it goes.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The more I read about reactions to this, the more I see plenty of petty, toxic views among the Superman fandom unbecoming of what is supposed to be a character that supposedly represents the best of humanity.
    Superman ain't our lord and savior.Just because superman is touted as "Best of humanity" or whatever as some writer.Doesn't mean i have to live by the character's rules.Simply put.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I see people still can't tell the difference between mind controlled and evil Superman. The idea that this willstop evil Superman from being made is pretty rich given what appears to be happening with that Suicide Squad game. The more I read about reactions to this, the more I see plenty of petty, toxic views among the Superman fandom unbecoming of what is supposed to be a character that supposedly represents the best of humanity.
    Z you’re splitting hairs, the general audience doesn’t care about the difference, why should I? Evil Superman is Evil Superman, I just want it to be over regardless of the finer details.

On the film side it will, and that’s all that matters to me. I’ve long since abandoned all hope of Supes not getting treated like crap by NRS and the gaming side in general. And hey if this is a success, maybe WB will finally f****** green light a Superman game? They keep rejecting pitches, the SOBs, but if he succeeds on the film side maybe they’ll finally take a chance on the game side. Can’t hurt.
    My response to this news is neutral. I'll wait and see how it goes.
    At last we have walked so far apart from each other that we’ve circled back around and ended up in the same spot , we’re of the same mind for right now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

On the film side it will, and that’s all that matters to me. I’ve long since abandoned all hope of Supes not getting treated like crap by NRS and the gaming side in general. And hey if this is a success, maybe WB will finally f****** green light a Superman game? They keep rejecting pitches, the SOBs, but if he succeeds on the film side maybe they’ll finally take a chance on the game side. Can’t hurt.
    I think this is an unreasonable burden to place on this one movie. I hope it is good for its own sake and not so that it makes WB make a Superman game. If they didn't do that with Wonder Woman and Aquaman, I'd be surprised if they did it with Superman.

I just think that people should just hope for a competently made movie not something that forever changes how Superman is viewed by audiences and WB. Half the disappointment from Superman is fans' expectations. Superman can either be the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever. Nothing in-between is allowed apparently.

At last we have walked so far apart from each other that we’ve circled back around and ended up in the same spot , we’re of the same mind for right now.
    Glad there's something we can agree on I guess.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-10-2021 at 10:52 PM.

Wow, what a mess.

Lots of deletions and edits, so let's make a few things crystal clear:

1. The minute you make it personal, calling someone names or declaring people are crazy you've crossed the line and you will be banned.

2. Jumping into a thread just to declare how bad a thread is? Just don't.

3. Posting personal attacks and then reporting the replies while you continue to post responses to what you reported? Not only against the rules but also wasting my time and forcing me to cull and edit the mess you left behind.

So be civil, don't attack other people, don't be a jerk, and don't tell others how to post.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

You are now participating in the legacy of one of the most powerful superhero characters. What can you say about Superman and what the journey has been like for you thus far?

Ta-Nehisi Coates: Nothing I can say would be helpful here. Absolutely nothing. Nothing I can say will do anything to improve how this film is ultimately received. I got a big thing: I want people to have their own experience with the art, and I don’t want to step on it. I don’t want them to hear me. I don’t want them to see me. As much as possible, I really don’t want them to see me. I want them to see what we ultimately produce. And so what I’m trying to do is ... I’m not even being coy here.

We live in an era where people — because you have social media and can share so much — the instinct when you’re creating is to let fans in on the process, to let them see where you’re going. And I might could do that after. That might be an aftermath thing I would do, but I do worry about doing injustice to the art.

I just worry that you are, however unintentionally, seeding ideas in people’s head. Now, look, there’s a point where you have trailers and things where I’m going to have to talk about it, but if it were up to me, I wouldn’t say anything ever until it’d been out and seen and consumed and all of that. I don’t want to get in the way. I want Superman to have his chance.

Fair.

Ta-Nehisi Coates: I really want him to live. I want him to be greeted. I don’t want me and whatever baggage the narrative of me has to overshadow that. I’ve said things in the past when I was working on things, and I guess this is still true. When I got on Captain America, I wrote about taking on Captain America, and the thing I wrote was, “It’s an opportunity for me to speak, it’s an opportunity for Cap to speak, and it’s an opportunity for me to figure out what this experience is like.” And it’s the same thing here. As much as possible I really would like to recede and hopefully make something that folks feel is worthy.

Full interview: https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2...ates-interview

BANNED

Anyone else get the feeling that this is a joker type elseworlds film rather than a serious attempt at making a franchise?

And we all falsely assumed that this was a “reboot” rather than a standalone movie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Anyone else get the feeling that this is a joker type elseworlds film rather than a serious attempt at making a franchise?

And we all falsely assumed that this was a “reboot” rather than a standalone movie
    I think assuming anything at this point is a fool’s errand and his comments above make that more than clear.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post

At this point all I'm assuming is to not get my hopes up on anything live action Superman until after I've seen it with my own two eyes. I've been burned enough.