Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'd prefer any Superman movie steer clear of an overtly political message that's a major turn-off for me as modern moviemakers know nothing about the art of subtlety.
    What we need right now is a fun Superman movie with tons of heart. Shazam is what a Superman movie should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I don't know if the problems with the Snyder films is that they 'explored what Superman meant'. I think their problem is that they think they did, but instead they're just the longest Linkin Park videos ever.

As far as what WB is thinking, they probably are trying to copy what Marvel did with Black Panther. This was the same studio who thought the response to BvS was negative because the film lacked MCU-style jokes and not because the script sucked ass. If they now all of a sudden think the way to revitalize Superman is to make his next film like BP's (but only in superficial ways duh), it would certainly fit their MO.
    Ironically the Black Panther movie had everything BP fans wishes Coates's BP run could be, but isn't.

It's too bad Aaron Coogler has too much on his plate.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No because even if the movie gets made, there will still be plenty of other content where Superman is white. Hopefully the S&L TV show will still be going so there will be that, Titans may still be ongoing so he’ll be white there if he makes an appearance, there will be the comics, the animated side will still keep a white Superman, and I’m sure the video games will still have a white Superman since they’ve got a hard-on for making him evil there. Oh we’ll get the usual groan-worthy thinkpieces about how “Superman works better as a black guy!” but they say that about every racebent character.
    Jesus, I'm really dreading these coming out of the wood work.

Worse if the movie isn't about a black but otherwise faithful adaptation of Clark but instead someone else, essentially meaning "the idea of Superman finally works, and it took getting rid of the character to do it! GIVE ME YOUR LIKES!!"

Meanwhile on the other side of the aisle, we'll have the toxic fringe groups who'd make a stink about the mere presence of any black character, never mind a black Superman himself. And making complete asses of themselves, ironically behaving in a way actual Superman would never approve of.

Meanwhile, in an alternate reality, the shared cinematic DCU actually took off and we'd have a traditional Clark getting films but also teaming up with Calvin Ellis across universes, Calvin leads an ensemble cast in a Multiversity movie, John Stewart co-leads a GL film with Hal and both alternate leading solo GL sequels and being on the League, the likes of Vixen, Black Lightning and Dr. Light get their own movies, Nubia gets a spin off film from Wonder Woman, Ryan Choi is at least a lab partner of Ray Palmer if not the actual lead, etc.

I'd prefer any Superman movie steer clear of an overtly political message that's a major turn-off for me as modern moviemakers know nothing about the art of subtlety.
    Trust me: You don’t get the guy who wrote “The Case for Reparations” for a non-political Superman film. That’s what fascinates me about all this. MoS didn’t meet their expectations so what are they expecting for this? A billion like BP? Can’t see a Coates flick bringing that in, he’s absolutely going to turn people off.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Man Of Steel did fine in the box office. WB were absolutely delusional if they thought it would make a billion after Superman Returns. But what really messed it up was Batman V Superman instead of giving Superman a proper sequel. Batman ultimately cause the death of the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    What we need right now is a fun Superman movie with tons of heart. Shazam is what a Superman movie should be.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Trust me: You don’t get the guy who wrote “The Case for Reparations” for a non-political Superman film. That’s what fascinates me about all this. MoS didn’t meet their expectations so what are they expecting for this? A billion like BP? Can’t see a Coates flick bringing that in, he’s absolutely going to turn people off.
    *Sigh* This might be a hard pass for me.

I liked the immigration message in Captain Marvel because it was a great use of allegory. I detest blunt messages in my sci-fi fiction or fantasy entertainment.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

*Sigh* This might be a hard pass for me.

I liked the immigration message in Captain Marvel because it was a great use of allegory. I detest blunt messages in my sci-fi fiction or fantasy entertainment.
    You know, there's something about a strongman who busts the wall in to smash someone's noggin for wife beating or stopping and ruining a train to save a child when he could just move the child that screams "I'm a subtle chap."

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You know, there's something about a strongman who busts the wall in to smash someone's noggin for wife beating or stopping and ruining a train to save a child when he could just move the child that screams "I'm a subtle chap."
    On my world, the S stands for subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Very funny, but that's not what I meant. What I meant is that a moral or political message that is too literal (or on the nose if you will) can ruin an otherwise good sci-fi or fantasy story. It is better to use a scalpel than a machete to perform surgery.

BANNED

As long as it’s not Clark Kent I don’t really care too much honestly. I’d be game to see Tangent Superman, Calvin or most preferably Val-Zod with tangent supes abilities

Very funny, but that's not what I meant. What I meant is that a moral or political message that is too literal (or on the nose if you will) can ruin an otherwise good sci-fi or fantasy story. It is better to use a scalpel than a machete to perform surgery.
    I agree.

Nobody wants to feel as if they are being lectured to for two hours. Not even the people who may agree with intended your message.

Let's take a tangent route. Let's say that they cast the traditional Superman...what exactly will it be about? Clark checking his white privilege or something? We literally have the perfect political origin story for Superman. Grant Morrison's first Action Arc is enough.

Let's take a tangent route. Let's say that they cast the traditional Superman...what exactly will it be about? Clark checking his white privilege or something? We literally have the perfect political origin story for Superman. Grant Morrison's first Action Arc is enough.
    I don't see Coates writing Morrison Superman, at least in personality.

Astonishing Member

I imagine the second a script writer in 2021 decides to work on a political Superman film, it will be somewhat inspired by Morrison's Action Comics no matter what. Even if we get a black actor as Superman, I would be surprised if no inspiration for the film comes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ironically the Black Panther movie had everything BP fans wishes Coates's BP run could be, but isn't.

It's too bad Aaron Coogler has too much on his plate.
    This. I haven't read Coates' run but the Black Panther film ironically had an anti-essentialist message. This film could potentially have the opposite and that would be a problem.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-27-2021 at 03:06 PM.