Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm on board for this, if only because Abrams has a real knack for casting and Coates pretty much ensures that it'll be a take on Superman that doesn't steer clear of politics.

I think Val Zod is pretty dull, but I'm all about Calvin Ellis.

I also think there's a strong possibility that we'll see a Latino Clark or they'll take a more traditional approach. I don't think anything is set in stone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't think anything is set in stone yet.
    I kind of disagree - I think it is set in stone; WB execs know what they want and for good or ill are going to get it. The decision has most likely been made. We however do not know what that decision is. Could be anything. But there's a difference between not knowing what has been set, and it not being set.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I kind of disagree - I think it is set in stone; WB execs know what they want and for good or ill are going to get it. The decision has most likely been made. We however do not know what that decision is. Could be anything. But there's a difference between not knowing what has been set, and it not being set.
    I wouldn't be too sure of that. Things can change in Hollywood pretty fast.

You might be right, pretty much everyone is hating on this.

I’m curious to see where this leads the character. If this movie is successful and there is at least a trilogy, Superman will be seen as a black man for the next 15 years or so and that will be the version of Superman for a whole generation of fans. I’m curious if they will ever be able to change his race back after this. Will it be seen as racist and a step backwards to make him white again? Well that’ll be like 20 years from now so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    You might be right, pretty much everyone is hating on this.
    I’ve personally seen mostly positive. Ive only seen negativity on Facebook comments sections and those are always full of vitriol and hatred.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-27-2021 at 04:02 AM.

Idk where you been but here it's been controversial, youtube, reddit, 4chan, comic book movies, not everyone is liking it.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Idk where you been but here it's been controversial, youtube, reddit, 4chan, comic book movies, not everyone is liking it.
    Oh no not 4chan.

True, and I kind of have my fingers crossed that either the rumor of a black Superman is false, or it really is Val or Calvin and not a racebent Clark.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

What don't those assholes complain about?

Incredible Member

If they do use Calvin or Val I Kinda prefer Val..

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I don't know what you guys saw in Val. Please sell me on his character because all I remember is a bland Superman who was given a mangled Power Girl as a love interest that they quickly abandoned because they handled it poorly. Perhaps it's because that period was very bad for Karen that I associate Val with a particularly unfun reading experience (as I do most New 52 Earth-2) but seriously, what's the appeal over Calvin who has a lot more going for him as a character.

I just read the OP again, where does it mention that he's going to be black? Please don't tell me all the fuss is over a rumour.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

So, Coates will be writing the script based off a outline done by Abrams, right? Why would JJ tunCoates as the writer and why would him acept the job? 3 things comes to my mind:

1) Black Superman;
    2) Very political Superman movie;
    3) A lot of money.

Or a combination of all 3. Obviously a lot of money is around this project, and I can't see a movie with a black Superman, be it Val, Calvin or a racebend Clark not be a politically charged movie.
    Now, what would surprise the hell out of me is if the Superman they go with is the traditional one, not only Clark but white.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    Yea, I don't think this team will be winning anyone over.

Still, could be interesting......as for concerns over Coates not being interested in Superman, sure...doesn't mean he won't be able to write a good movie (though his previous works don't inspire much confidence, it seems).
    Valid point. We're about to see something similar in the Green Lantern book where Geoffrey Thorne is very outspoken in his dislike of Hal. But at least Thorne has some GLs that he does like and is very excited about writing. I mean, is it really too much to ask to have someone work on a Superman movie project who actually likes the character?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I get the feeling that all Warner Brothers really wants to do is make Batman movies, unfortunately Marvel ruined that so they are forced to crank out these movies about characters that they don't really care about or understand.

I bet that they are pissed that Wonder Woman was a hit because now they have to make more LOL.

As for Abrams, this dude convinced Warner Brothers to give him 500 MILLION DOLLARS! This after the dude ran Star Trek into a ditch and gave us an uninspired Star Wars. Ask yourself this. If JJ is worth 500 million how much is Kevin Feige worth? Will he demand his own habitable planet?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest