Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 562
  1. #436
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Hmmm, the list of directors sounds interesting. More concerned with casting and writing. Not surprised at all they are going with Clark. Val Zod and Calvin Ellis were pipedreams I think. (as was Cavill and a restored "Snyderverse" honestly) SuperObama was never going to fly, and Val Zod is way to complicated. I think there are definitely aspects of the myth that can lend itself to exploration of race, but there is always been an element of "passing" inherent in the character - Yang has discussed it a few times - that gets lost here. But, I'm intrigued for now. See what else develops.

    And the period piece aspect is odd, though they say "20th Century" which can entail anything from the 40's through the 90's. So who knows.
    They say “Golden Age” so I’m assuming it would be set in the 30s around the time of Superman’s real world debut like It’s Superman! was.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  2. #437
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    13,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh boy Jim Lee being asked about Superman, I’m sure that will go well lmao. If they were asking Morrison, Yang, Ridley, or Busiek I’d feel more confident but Lee is... basic at best.
    They all fall in the "consultants" category I mentioned. If it's Golden Age/new52 inspired, they'll ask Morrison for advices, I guess.

    I totally agree that Jon is a holdover from the previous regime, which is why it’s odd they don’t just dump that like they’re dumping Wally going evil. I don’t agree that the new guard isn’t interested in this, they wouldn’t be giving it to Taylor, their current golden boy, if they weren’t at least hoping he’d be able to make it more palatable.
    It's not like they have anything better to do with SM or Jon. So why not try this for a couple of years?

    Maybe they’re thinking about this in terms of what will be done with the “mainstream” Superman since this reboot doesn’t seem to be set on “Earth 1”? Have Jon take over for Supergirl? I’m just spitballing.
    Look no further than CW, what Jon-related they though had potential for adaptions it's likely serve as inspiration over there in the immediate future.

    WB has no long term plans set in stone. For the foreseeable future, they'll focus on the black Superman, Latina Supergirl, and white Superman's cameos.

  3. #438
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,285

    Default

    In regards to the Cavill thing...honestly I think the b-day thing is just happenstance. I mean, this is probably not news to him anyway. Hell its not even news to us. Regardless of who the actual character was going to be, we've all pretty much known for some time now that WB was done with Cavill's version or any standard version.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "ďYour boos mean nothing, Iíve seen what makes you cheer!Ē

  4. #439
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In regards to the Cavill thing...honestly I think the b-day thing is just happenstance. I mean, this is probably not news to him anyway. Hell its not even news to us. Regardless of who the actual character was going to be, we've all pretty much known for some time now that WB was done with Cavill's version or any standard version.
    Probably but it’s funny to imagine a suit sending this out as a f*** you to Cavill for not agreeing to be Captain Cameo. He still seemed to believe that the cape was “in his closet” at one point though, so I don’t think he ever completely gave up hope.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  5. #440

    Default

    The reason why those Marvel Now characters like Sam, Jane, Amaedeus Cho are more likely to succeed than say Jon, that Fox son guy, Yara etc is the nature of the MCU. those phase one characters like Tony? They have their arc, their actors want to move on while the universe continues. Makes sense we see Sam as Cap, and Kate Bishop Hawkeye. But dc? they give their characters a few movies then reboot. Thats why Ben Affleck became Batman not Joseph Gordon Levitt. With Wonder Girl not taking off, I'm not counting on much of this future state stuff breaking out.

  6. #441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    The reason why those Marvel Now characters like Sam, Jane, Amaedeus Cho are more likely to succeed than say Jon, that Fox son guy, Yara etc is the nature of the MCU. those phase one characters like Tony? They have their arc, their actors want to move on while the universe continues. Makes sense we see Sam as Cap, and Kate Bishop Hawkeye. But dc? they give their characters a few movies then reboot. Thats why Ben Affleck became Batman not Joseph Gordon Levitt. With Wonder Girl not taking off, I'm not counting on much of this future state stuff breaking out.
    As a kid I watched Batman Beyond and Superman and Lois has a teen Jon ready to go. Even Yara's Future State issues felt seperate from Future State. So I don't think introducing them is that hard.

  7. #442
    Mighty Member Godzilla2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    To me Cavil is easily the best Superman since Reeve. He has the essence of Superman. Nobody at WB had the idea of a sequel with Brainiac?

    I'd also love to have seen a Batfleck Sequel too. Especially reading that Arkham Asylum like script.

    Reboot after reboot is just lazy.

  8. #443
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Probably but it’s funny to imagine a suit sending this out as a f*** you to Cavill for not agreeing to be Captain Cameo. He still seemed to believe that the cape was “in his closet” at one point though, so I don’t think he ever completely gave up hope.
    If true, then I'm glad Cavill stood his ground. Or give me a movie or f*ck off

  9. #444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    As a kid I watched Batman Beyond and Superman and Lois has a teen Jon ready to go. Even Yara's Future State issues felt seperate from Future State. So I don't think introducing them is that hard.
    As far as replacing the "leads" goes, sure I'll give you Batman Beyond, but I doubt Tim Fox is going to get as lucky as Terry anytime soon. He's got a lot of competition against the other 20 or 30 potential Bat-heirs in the family. And again, wouldn't be surprised at all if we get a black Bruce Wayne before a Foxman. I'm kinda missing your point about Yara because I didn't read any her stuff yet. Or know much about her character, but if i were a betting man, when Gadot hangs up her tiara, they'll reboot and recast not pass the mantle. The Superman and Lois show is about Clark. Sure, Jon and his brother are important supporting characters, but Clark is the main character. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if this black Superman also happens to have a kid, like the last 4 or 5 live action Supermen ended up being Dads if you think about it. Doesn't matter, as the report says, it will be about a new version of Kal-El. Future State seems to be built around expecting dc media to have their own "phase 4" and lol we didn't even have a phase 2 before it fell apart.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-05-2021 at 08:49 PM.

  10. #445
    Astonishing Member HsssH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I totally agree that Jon is a holdover from the previous regime, which is why itís odd they donít just dump that like theyíre dumping Wally going evil.
    From what I remember Lobdell's mini about Wally turning into Flash/Metron hybrid happened under Didio. Or was he evil after that?

  11. #446
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    I'm a little sad about this just being a clark movie, after getting excited about the idea of a president superman movie. That would have been something truly new to the superhero movie genre. That being said, I'm glad Abrams isn't actually directing. I think he has great ideas, he just needs to let others actually execute them.

  12. #447

    Default

    Personally I think Abrams problem is that he lacks ideas, but can somehow still talented enough build a mostly competent movie around really shallow and derivative concepts.

  13. #448
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    From what I remember Lobdell's mini about Wally turning into Flash/Metron hybrid happened under Didio. Or was he evil after that?
    Yeah in Future State he was evil and killed all the Flash Family (he was possessed though). It sucked and I’m glad they’re staying far away from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    To me Cavil is easily the best Superman since Reeve. He has the essence of Superman. Nobody at WB had the idea of a sequel with Brainiac?

    I'd also love to have seen a Batfleck Sequel too. Especially reading that Arkham Asylum like script.

    Reboot after reboot is just lazy.
    Cavill got MacQuarrie (Mission Impossible director) on board for a sequel with that exact pitch. WB passed. Once that happened I knew he was done, to pass on that meant they had zero interest in continuing with Cavill at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Personally I think Abrams problem is that he lacks ideas, but can somehow still talented enough build a mostly competent movie around really shallow and derivative concepts.
    He’s the Tom Taylor of directors: Cheap fanservice and rehashed cliches with zero depth once you scratch past the surface.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  14. #449
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    5,266

    Default

    We shouldn't be surprised Cavill is done at least as far as more solo Superman movies or Justice League. The writing has been on the wall for years now really. It's a shame because the guy is a bonafide Superman fan and is probably the best live action embodiment of the character since Reeve. The most we can hope for now is a cameo in Shazam 2 or in Black Adam or maybe Aquaman 2 or Wonder Woman 3. He's still has one more appearance on his contract as far as we know.

    The rest with the Black Superman and its director...we'll see. It could be awesome or a complete pile of crap. We won't know until Coates turns in his script and we get an idea what the story/setting is going to be.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  15. #450
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with that and mind you, Cavill didn't say anything wrong and the reaction he got only proved his point. It was just poor taste that WB would drop this news on his bday. And there are PLENTY of actors who can't keep their bs to themselves.
    Woah, hold on there, this is not WB...this is The Hollywood Reporter that decided to publish the article.
    This has nothing to do with WB doing anything.

    This comes from the same THR people defended and praised a few weeks ago when they claimed without proof that WB wanted them to not publish an article.
    Hell its not even a 100% confirmed thing because its not from WB...its an article whos source is "A Insider".

    This "WB is the devil" whenever WB is even mentioned, is getting out of hand.
    Now even accusing WB to publish news on a specific day to spite an Actor they still have under contract, when that isnt the case?

    Anyway, thats not the topic.

    After thinking about this all for a while, im not sure about this to be honest.

    Look, im all for the idea that just because a comic book character was always white, doesnt mean he NEEDS to be it in live action too...unless his skin color is essential to the character.

    But i get the feeling WB is casting POC not because they are the best for the role.
    And now this, which of course may not be 100% real considering this is THR.

    But still, lets say it is.
    A black Superman in a period piece with a black director?
    And sure maybe something like this is needed especially in America these days considering how the deeply rooted racism is still so visible.
    Every Good message against Racism and to judge people by their skin color, is something i stand behind.

    But it feels at times not like WB does it for genuine reasons.
    Especially when we consider that they have many POC DC characters they could use but dont.

    Why not do a Calvin Ellis Superman movie in the present time?

    I was on board with a black Superman because i thought that his skin color wouldnt be the main focus, now with how this allegedly shapes up...his skin color might be the main point.
    Because why do a Period Piece otherwise if not to focus on the Racial Injustice?

    I dont know, im very unsure about this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •