Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm hoping two things with this: First, I really hope the rumor that this reboot is in development hell is true. Nothing about this proposed reboot sounds good. Look, traditionally I'm not a fan of race bending characters, but "black Clark Kent" is so far down the list of red flags for this it's not even worth discussing; for all he might be good in magazines and newspapers and real world reporting, what I've heard of Coates' comic book work has been down right discouraging. Abrams is alright in reintroducing characters in big schlocky blockbuster explosions type films which is cool, but how the franchises have gone after has been...eh, no. Never mind plenty don't like those reintroduction takes anyways. Setting it in the past as a period piece feels like WB execs admitting they think Superman is an antiquated idea so it makes sense to set him in antiquity, which is not a view I like them espousing. Just, yeah, short of a really stellar trailer my enthusiasm for this whole proposed project has been underwhelmingly below zero.

But my second hope is, I just don't want Cavill Supes back. I like the actor alright enough, I think he could do a marvelous job if given better material with a script and director who gets Superman much better than Snyder ever did, and none of the bad things about his Superman portrayal was his decision or his fault, and much of what worked with his take I'd probably chalk up to him over the guys behind the camera. But I feel his take is coming from tainted stories/movies now with so much baggage that any film with him would be starting at a disadvantaged position with an uphill battle to climb, and would just feed the worst of the Snyderverse cult at this point. Cavill seems like a great guy I'd love to be friends with, I wish him luck, and he was done dirty by WB, but I just can't see a way forward with him. I still hope for a reboot, I just hope that reboot ain't the Abrams/Coates picture.
    I wouldn't mind a black Superman but not Clark Kent, just a whole different take.

A retro black Superman showing up in 1938 could really be interesting. But standard Superman as retro? As much as I personally would love a retro Golden Age take, I also cannot see the PTB doing that for any reason but thinking Superman is an outdated concept. Besides, Superman running around kidnapping crooked politicians and war profiteers? The same "Not muh Superman" and "Man of Murder" crowd that panned MoS would declare the original Superman not Superman.

I certainly would not rehash his origin again, just imply it's more or less the standard origin.

I also liked Cavill. But I cannot see using him yet making it clear it's a different take.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I wouldn't mind a black Superman but not Clark Kent, just a whole different take.
    That's were I'm at. I wouldn't mind a Calvin Ellis film, president Superman sounds like a fun film. And I'm actually interested in Michael B. Jordan's Val Zod Superman miniseries. But for some reason WB has apparently wanted a black Clark Kent for over a decade. Look at Marvel and how successful Miles Spider-Man is. DC could have that too, but no...

A retro black Superman showing up in 1938 could really be interesting. But standard Superman as retro? As much as I personally would love a retro Golden Age take, I also cannot see the PTB doing that for any reason but thinking Superman is an outdated concept. Besides, Superman running around kidnapping crooked politicians and war profiteers? The same "Not muh Superman" and "Man of Murder" crowd that panned MoS would declare the original Superman not Superman.
    Exactly! If they had a successful modern Superman and were doing this I wouldn't mind the setting so much, a retro Superman in the past totally works, Superman Smashes the Klan is one of my favorite Superman stories, maybe even my favorite. But with how badly WB has fumbled with him, it really feels like they actually believe that as a concept he's so outdated that he can only work in the past.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It looks that Coates will submit his script "soon" instead of the original deadline of Dec. 2021. Well, better late than never, I guess.

Source: https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/sta...65431545937924

We should know in the upcoming months if WB decides to go ahead with the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It looks that Coates will submit his script "soon" instead of the original deadline of Dec. 2021. Well, better late than never, I guess.

We should know in the upcoming months if WB decides to go ahead with the project.
    Eh, I still have zero interest in this, but as long as it doesn't prevent a traditional take from happening I'm fine with it.

...it's gonna prevent any other takes won't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I still have zero interest in this, but as long as it doesn't prevent a traditional take from happening I'm fine with it.

...it's gonna prevent any other takes won't it?
    Yes, if it happens I’m sure they will give Abrams and Coates sole control over Superman on the film side. They haven’t asked anyone else for a pitch since Abrams and they’ve rejected all of Cavill’s pitches, so this would basically be the only film side Superman unless Cavill came back for cameos (Hoechlin and MBJ are/would be streaming shows).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Oh cool!i hope it turns out awesome..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

The Coates/Abrams' project was originally intended to be a period piece set around the 60s, but there are rumors lately of it being changed in the current draft of the script: https://twitter.com/TheComixKid/stat...18828513841152

"1. while the project was originally intended to be a period piece, the final draft submitted by Coates recently is not a period piece

2. It's not about a black superman being a victim of racism, rather it uses Superman's alien heritage as a parallel to racism. They are, however going through with colorblind casting.

3. Superman is heavily nerfed, being taken back to his golden age roots. He can no longer fly, but he can instead "leap tall buildings in a single bound", He also lacks heat vision, frost breath and x-ray vision. He's also described as moving at Mach 7

4. They do have descriptions of the characters in the script which gives away their races.
    Lois Lane is written with an Asian Actress in mind
    Perry White is written as an African American man
    and Jimmy Olsen is described as a freckled redhead (no racebending with Jimmy)

5. The Film is currently utilizing The golden age version of The Ultra-Humanite as the main antagonist although this may change. At no point in the story does he use the Albino Gorilla body.

6. The script is rather long, clocking in at 165 pages. This may be due to the fact that the film is being written as an awards contender rather than a regular Superhero film. It portrays Superman as a champion of the opressed. The government hates him but the people love him.

7. The film is a love letter to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's original comics. It also has a dedication to them. Pa Kent's character is based off of Jerry Siegel. It actually has a dedication to a lot of writers such as Jack Kirby, who serves as the inspiration for Dan Turpin."

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 04-24-2022 at 10:13 PM.

The Coates/Abrams' project was originally intended to be a period piece set around the 60s, but there are rumors lately of it being changed in the current draft of the script: https://twitter.com/TheComixKid/stat...18828513841152

"1. while the project was originally intended to be a period piece, the final draft submitted by Coates recently is not a period piece

2. It's not about a black superman being a victim of racism, rather it uses Superman's alien heritage as a parallel to racism. They are, however going through with colorblind casting.

3. Superman is heavily nerfed, being taken back to his golden age roots. He can no longer fly, but he can instead "leap tall buildings in a single bound", He also lacks heat vision, frost breath and x-ray vision. He's also described as moving at Mach 7

4. They do have descriptions of the characters in the script which gives away their races.

5. The Film is currently utilizing The golden age version of The Ultra-Humanite as the main antagonist although this may change. At no point in the story does he use the Albino Gorilla body.

6. The script is rather long, clocking in at 165 pages. This may be due to the fact that the film is being written as an awards contender rather than a regular Superhero film. It portrays Superman as a champion of the opressed. The government hates him but the people love him.

7. The film is a love letter to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's original comics. It also has a dedication to them. Pa Kent's character is based off of Jerry Siegel. It actually has a dedication to a lot of writers such as Jack Kirby, who serves as the inspiration for Dan Turpin."

My man!!!finally!!i hope this is true..I am getting pumped.. Especially at the prospect of leaping tall buildings.. I also love dan turpin.. Hopefully,bibbo is in there as well...I so want this to work.The thing l like most is the dedication to the different writers.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-25-2022 at 12:00 AM.

Spectacular Member

This sounds horrible. If you're going to nerf Superman to the point where he's just the Hulk, then why bother? Also, we went through a decade of having a Superman not being able to fly with Smallville already. Do we really need more?

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    This sounds horrible. If you're going to nerf Superman to the point where he's just the Hulk, then why bother? Also, we went through a decade of having a Superman not being able to fly with Smallville already. Do we really need more?
    I need it..I don't like flying bricks..My superman clings on walls,runs on electric cables,races bullets and trains.. agility and acrobatics>> flight.
    Jump GOOD!!! all the way!!!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-24-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Sure sounds like a mix of Morrison Action, the Golden Age comics, and Superman Smashes The Klan. Would that I had any faith in Coates ability to mesh all of that together in a satisfactory way but I don’t. If they’re casting an Asian Lois (interesting that Lois will be Asian in this and in MAWS, American Alien really has had a pretty big impact) then **** it cast an Asian Clark as well. They’ll probably go black though if this gets greenlit. It’s submitted at least so we won’t have to wait long to see if it’s approved or not I suspect.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It's using dan turpin though..That's more of it's own take.I would prefer whomever is cast having a firey personality with lot's of charisma.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-25-2022 at 12:02 AM.

I love everything here. If this turned out to be true, i'll be over the moon. This sounds like a movie that Superman needs. Action that can be very exciting. Due to some reason many people didn't like the Dragonball style action of Man of Steel. Plus, this is something we haven't ever seen. Not even in cartoons.

Why is it so hard for these people to make a straightforward Superman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    My man!!!finally!!i hope this is true..I am getting pumped.. Especially at the prospect of leaping tall buildings.. I also love dan turpin.. Hopefully,bibbo is in there as well...I so want this to work.The thing l like most is the dedication to the different writers.
    Hehe, I knew you would've loved these rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    It's not uncommon to start a saga with the hero not fully formed. Like for Morrison's New52 Supes origin and Yang's Smashes the Klan, Clark will be eventually able to fly and get all the powers down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sure sounds like a mix of Morrison Action, the Golden Age comics, and Superman Smashes The Klan. Would that I had any faith in Coates ability to mesh all of that together in a satisfactory way but I don’t. If they’re casting an Asian Lois (interesting that Lois will be Asian in this and in MAWS, American Alien really has had a pretty big impact) then **** it cast an Asian Clark as well. They’ll probably go black though if this gets greenlit. It’s submitted at least so we won’t have to wait long to see if it’s approved or not I suspect.
    I'm not familiar with Coates' writing ability but I wouldn't worry about it. As soon as a director will be attached to the project, there'll be rewrites and adjustments to the screenplay.