Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    A Coates Superman movie isn't going to be about Val Zod or Ellis. He doesn't even know who those characters are.
    Yeah, Kal-El was the Superman named in the official announcement of the project. It has to be him.

It's possible that it's going to be connected to Pattison's BM. There are too many SM easter-eggs in the Reeve movie to not think it's going to be the start of new shared universe.

A Coates Superman movie isn't going to be about Val Zod or Ellis. He doesn't even know who those characters are.
    How do you know what he does and doesn't know about the Superman Mythos? No offense, but your post comes across as very pretentious.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    How do you know what he does and doesn't know about the Superman Mythos? No offense, but your post comes across as very pretentious.
    Even if he doesn’t know who these characters are now, there’s nothing that a quick, seconds long ‘Black Superman’ google search can’t solve.

That, and I’m sure others may have informed him of these characters. For myself, I think Clark is simply the more attractive character to use than either Val or Calvin as he’s the one with the iconic supporting cast and an actual rogues gallery. I’ve seen some compare using Calvin to using Miles instead of Peter but difference there is that Miles did have a strong supporting cast and at least some good material to draw upon for inspiration. Neither of the original black Superman characters have that, and never had their own comic runs to themselves. So if one were to use Val or Cal, you would essentially have a lot less to work with than if you simply with go with the classic Clark Kent character. Of course, it wouldn’t be impossible to make a Superman movie with either of those characters but I suspect it would be significantly harder to work with. If they make Clark black then I wouldn’t mind doing the same with Lois.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-28-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Because of what he's said in interviews. What he knows about DC comes from the Bruce Timm cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Yeah, Kal-El was the Superman named in the official announcement of the project. It has to be him.

It's possible that it's going to be connected to Pattison's BM. There are too many SM easter-eggs in the Reeve movie to not think it's going to be the start of new shared universe.
    He said this too.

I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America’s most iconic mythic hero.
    Val Zodd and Ellis aren't iconic. He's talking about Clark Kent.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Because of what he's said in interviews. What he knows about DC comes from the Bruce Timm cartoons.
    Do you expect him to not do any research for the movie? He's going to study a lot and talk to people who do know Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Do you expect him to not do any research for the movie? He's going to study a lot and talk to people who do know Superman.
    I hope so, because I'm not sure I see Coates understanding Superman well otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    He didn't sign on to write a movie about characters he hadn't heard about it.

He'll do research for the movie and will learn about Val and Ellis but he didn't pitch a movie about those characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The vocal Snyderverse stans on Twitter are just inexplicable, but at the same time I'm pleased to see all pushback on this idiotic idea from multiple avenues.
    At this point I’m just going to sit back and watch the monster Hamada and Emmerich created devour them. If it leads to them green lighting a Clark Kent Superman film cool, but otherwise
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

No, it's completely possible that outlet heard Superman and immediately thought they'd be casting Kal-El. With NDAs, why would they reveal in such early development that it's either Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis?

Astonishing Member

He said this too.

Val Zodd and Ellis aren't iconic. He's talking about Clark Kent.
    Or...perhaps he’s talking about making a major contribution to the iconic history of the character by creating an original black character inspired by him? Same way, Brian Micheal Bendis ‘added something meaningful to the iconic legacy of Spider-Man’ when he created Miles Morales. I hope Clark is used, but I’m not sure that quote you sampled here is really an indicator that he plans to use Clark. He could easily have meant he’s excited to create his own Superman that honors the iconic legacy of the original Superman. That statement is too vague to tell us definitively either way.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-28-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Attachment 106666
    I don’t think they’re very big either. But they’re loud. They’ve been vocally screaming their displeasure in all the comment sections of all the DC social media accounts. And given the Snyder Cut ends on cliffhanger that’s only going to encourage them to keep pushing.
    I'm glad WB gave them the Snyder Cut they wanted for HBO Max, but they're also aware that the General Audience wasn't really resonating with Snyder's vision. I doubt they'll take a chance on restarting the Snyderverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Truthfully, we know absolutely nothing for sure right now, except the strong, strong, strong inclination the character will be black. Beyond that, what Coates knows or doesn't know doesn't really suggest who that character will be, though indeed it is very likely he knows nothing about the mythos at all outside the obvious judging by past comments that he doesn't read DC. And yeah I used that excuse against the idea it being a black version of Jon but thinking it over that logic doesn't slam the door shut on anything. Its more than easy to imagine DC saying, "here, use this character, his name is such-and-such, go nuts". Or, they came to him and asked him to craft something completely from the ground-up. We just don't know. In this line of thinking, perhaps its even too soon to say its not just going to be a black Clark. But speaking of that...

My extreme pushback, and what I mean by idiotic is the idea of making a movie for what would be an addition to the mythos when the foundation of that mythos is unestablished. Marvel introduced Miles via Peter, the lynchpin of it all. Clark Kent/Kal-El is the lynchpin of the Super mythos. This would be a complete non-issue to me if Superman was established (in a successful line, not a dead venture the company's obviously done with) and they utilized that to introduce another version and springboard off it. If that is the case, that is my problem. If it isn't, obviously this is all moot.
    Clark Kent is established. You have Superman, Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Justice League, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Superboy, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, and Superman & Lois.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Clark Kent is established. You have Superman, Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Justice League, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Superboy, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, and Superman & Lois.
    None of which are part of a current ongoing established film series, which is what SK meant. Snyder Cut is for all intents and purposes Cavill's swan song, with nothing else after that.

Doing spin offs and ancillary characters in a film series before you have the real deal established doesn't make much sense. It's why we're not starting the Reeves/Pattinson Batman film continuity with Dick Grayson as Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    None of which are part of a current ongoing established film series, which is what SK meant.

Doing spin offs and ancillary characters in films before you have the real deal established doesn't make much sense. It's why we're not staring the Reeves/Pattinson Batman film continuity with Dick Grayson
    Yes, I find that to be irrelevant. Clark Kent is established in the public consciousness, there's no need to hold back from an alternate take on Superman. This isn't some case where the character hasn't gotten his due. Superman & Lois just started airing days ago.