Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think if this were an animated movie or comic miniseries, these ideas would be OK. I have some concerns that Hollywood is capitulating and saying modern-day Superman is just too hard or uninteresting to write and modern audiences wouldn't like the character so they "have" to change the character. A lot of us like Morrison's T-shirt and jeans Superman, but not as a replacement. He's a part of a story arc. If they go this route for Superman in Hollywood, I want them to commit to making that part of the character's development, not the end state for the character.
    See,that's my problem with the whole thing.Modern-day Superman is already established as the guy.No matter what,they will revert him to that.On the off chance they decide to make Something with superman in any lower media they will use the boyscout.They will do the john williams theme, crystal fortress thing(like in comics, cartoons,tv series in cw..etc).I mean,most origin stories since donner has superman clutching a helicopter.

I want a portrayal that doesn't see "Robin Hood" Superman as "Phase" that get's thrown to the wind cause the guy learned to float.to see it get's it's own representation in media.Not just Modern Superman monopolising everything Superman.I want that guy(The guy that leaps) as separate character.The character might have same beginning point.I want a divergence in "Evolution" and "End point" in a cultural sense rather than a flying jesus,boyscout or just a wise old man figure.what that might be?beats me.

Personally,Because i find something very troubling with a protagonist that proclaims "True Morality".It might be just me.But,reading superman gives me that.When i read a manga i haven't felt that ever.Their protagonist's are just people,not saviors from the sky.Even the one's with judeo-christian religious allegories used(Full metal alchemist,evangelion..etc).I despise the very concept of a savior.Maybe it's historical and social baggage.Saviors have cannotations and relavance even today(largely negative and atbest benign.Superman is just benign).I am however willing to accept a champion.And i don't think Superman as a savior is ever going to run right moving forward.it's an outdated concept that actually yanks people back,in my opinion.Why superman in particular when other superheroes are like that?Because superman is the most blunt one and so much so stories are built around that very shtick is majority.If someone in real life condescends to me the way many superman stories does,i would probably not even bother.

I am not against old wise father figures as protagonists in fiction(admittedly,not my bread and butter) either which superman is(if people can't see superman is metropolis's dad then i can't help them).It's just An old wise father figures need to earn that respect in stories.He needs to be cool.Not in some idiotic "Cool dad that plays guitar" kinda thing.He needs to be the og.Seeing as,I am ok and greatly enjoy allstar superman,authority,even pkj's stuff and donner stuff as different takes(Even if i think the allegories are blunt as eff)

I have my bread and butter in protagonist..Most of em wear hats for some odd reasons like the glasses guy.So somewhat old fashioned in that way.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-26-2022 at 06:12 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    We don't know that actually. Nothing is official and given the recent Discovery purchase they might even scrap this as well.
    If WB executives remain in any capacity, they made no bones about wanting to race bend Clark. Although Discovery axing this movie would be for the best (again, the race change is the least of this potential movie's problems).

Comic characters should look the same in all media interpretations, mostly when there are plenty of characters that can be used to take a swapped characters place easily.

I wouldn't mind a movie where he slowly grows in power and scope
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From Collider's Steven Weintraub:

"If you know me you know how much I love #superman. So when I saw @wbpictures Chairman Toby Emmerich tonight walked right up to him and asked about the next Superman movie. Won’t say what he said to me since it might have been off the record. But progress is being made. #Cinemacon"
    https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/s...62752241000448

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

"If you know me you know how much I love #superman. So when I saw @wbpictures Chairman Toby Emmerich tonight walked right up to him and asked about the next Superman movie. Won’t say what he said to me since it might have been off the record. But progress is being made. #Cinemacon"

Aha! the next superman will be of turtle race!!!
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Progress is...something, I guess?

But progress is being made.
    In this fast-paced business world, I'm all about SMART goals.

S - Specific
    M - Measurable
    A - Attainable
    R - Relevant
    T - Timely

What progress was made? How much was made? Is this progress toward an achievable goal? Does it match WB's long term goals (actually, who cares about this one)? When will these be enacted? Until we get some answers on these, we Superman fans shouldn't get excited.

[Clearly I'm having a slow work day...]

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

LOL

The progress is that they have a script almost done and will decide soon if greenlight the movie.

If it gets greenlit I’d say either an announcement will come around Juneteenth or at this year’s Fandome.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Looks like Discovery it's already having an effect

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Also this, lol: https://twitter.com/GeoPanda24/statu...28174191869954

Why it was even supported in the first place?
    Clicks. Precious, precious clicks.

BANNED

I wish they wouldn't go into this project with an agenda, mainly the rumored colorblind casting, which translates to "cast a minority at all costs" and not the best available actor who meets the physical requirements. To me, good casting is nailed by getting people who look like or otherwise embody the character. But if I'm being 100% honest, the visual look is pretty important to me, as I just don't think many of the people currently cast as superheroes have that special acting ability anyway. Chris Evans for example never really looked like Cap to me at all, and his acting ability is barely there. But there's no one to compare him to so people have decided he's the absolute best choice there could ever have been, and I guess he's close enough. The same with Michael Keaton, who despite his physical shortcoming kind of projects that haunted quality and masculinity of Batman. So I would never say "it must be a white guy," but that doesn't mean by any stretch they will comb through every actor imaginable to find the person closest.

True colorblind casting means getting someone who fulfills that "look" regardless of race. The best example I can think of is Dean Cain; Reeve came closer in his portrayal, but Cain just plain *looked* more like the comic character than anyone else who's played him, to me. Another is Michael Clark Duncan as The Kingpin; no one else comes close to the physical size and gravitas. D'Onfrio, good as he is, is just too old and not muscular enough to believe in the role whereas I thought Duncan could pop most of the cast's heads. So it isn't a race issue, unless the studio makes it one by purposely going against finding someone who captures the look best, in favor of closest within a specific requirement. Michael B. Jordan looks and acts absolutely nothing like Superman whatsoever other than people see him as a leading man and begin and end there.