Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I hope it's lor-zod.I mean,that would fit with the new supergirl.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    A big film reboot featuring another Superman besides Clark would be a lot more concerning to me. I'd be more open to a black actor playing Clark than Calvin or Val-Zod being the starring character, though I'd be open to seeing both of them in team ups/spin offs.
    Agree. For me, Superman is a specific person, not a title.

Though I don't see much actual info and so it's necessarily a lot speculation here. I saw the writer has previously mentioned the idea of black writers being constrained to black characters and said they shouldn't be (article where he discussed writing Captain America). I haven't read Marvel in years, and never read Cap, so can't comment his work there.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-26-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Agree. For me, Superman is a specific person, not a title.

Though I don't see much actual info and so it's necessarily a lot speculation here.
    How reliable is that Tweet from the Hollywood reporter?

I agree that just because the script writer is black doesn't mean the actor who plays (hopefully) Clark needs to be black. He could write from multiple perspectives. Plus, this news is coming not long after we have a Latina casting for Supergirl. Maybe Clark will be played by a Latino or mixed race actor?

I agree that just because the script writer is black doesn't mean the actor who plays (hopefully) Clark needs to be black. He could write from multiple perspectives. Plus, this news is coming not long after we have a Latina casting for Supergirl. Maybe Clark will be played by a Latino or mixed race actor?
    I just edited to comment on that (after reading the article and doing a quick Google in the writer to see if he'd commented on the idea.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Ta-Nehisi Coates will write a black Superman because he wants to. He would walk away if WB was forcing him to make Superman black.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I just edited to comment on that (after reading the article and doing a quick Google in the writer to see if he'd commented on the idea.
    Oh yeah, that's interesting.

Clark's status as an alien passing for a human has drawn comparisons to non-white or mixed race people passing as "white," and it's one of the most interesting parallels that can be drawn about the character. His comments suggest that he might be a good writer to approach things from that perspective

BANNED

A Black actor cast as Superman sounds fantastic provided the right people are involved and I can’t say I think Abrams is the guy for that. I can’t say I’m very interested in a Superman movie that’s not about Clark Kent.

And Michael B. Jordan, though a wonderful actor, is completely wrong for the role. There are thousands of Black actors out there who would be perfect and it’s frustrating to see them repeatedly only use the same people as if there are only a few Black actors to choose from. They should do an open call.

So I wish them the best and, obviously this is super early, but I’m not sure I’m super interested in this. Which is fine.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-26-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Incredible Member

I've heard his comics stuff isn't that good. Is that true?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Eh, Cap and BP have some meandering. BP is really controversial for its sparing use of a good Tchalla.

Regardless of their comics, which I mostly like from what I've read between them, I think these two make a great team. Coates is highly intelligent and I think Abrams is a fun director. If we had Armie Hammer it'd be my dream team lol
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    Superman's going to be black and I'm here for it.

This is the most exciting Superman news in years.
    Are you referring to Clark Kent or Val-Zod/President Superman?

Regardless, my first priority is for them to get THE Superman, the "iconic mythic hero" right and everything else can come after.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    How reliable is that Tweet from the Hollywood reporter?

preciesly why i think they should give him the hernan guerra treatment.Superman doesn't need the name clark kent nor does he need to be the son of el.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Amazing Member

I have no interest in a superman other than clark in the comics will be no different in theaters .. But I will wait for more news before the conclusions
    Last edited by Superfamily; 02-26-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Zack Snyder's Superman crashed and burned so we could get Coates Superman.

After Wonder Woman 1984 I gave up on the DCEU but with this and the Supergirl news I'm back on board the hype train.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Eh, Cap and BP have some meandering. BP is really controversial for its sparing use of a good Tchalla.

Regardless of their comics, which I mostly like from what I've read between them, I think these two make a great team. Coates is highly intelligent and I think Abrams is a fun director. If we had Armie Hammer it'd be my dream team lol
    No Arimie Hammer unless the villain is going to be a cannibalistic white man.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Are you referring to Clark Kent or Val-Zod/President Superman?

Regardless, my first priority is for them to get THE Superman, the "iconic mythic hero" right and everything else can come after.
    Clark Kent.

We’re definitely getting a black Superman, no way would Coates be attached otherwise. Only question is if it’s Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod. Sucks that Clark Kent is basically dead on the big screen but at least we have Superman & Lois.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I've heard his comics stuff isn't that good. Is that true?
    Not at all a fan of his Black Panther run and his Cap run has just been meandering. Not really that enthusiastic about him being attached to be honest.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-26-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/