Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Adding on to my previous statement about how WB botched this announcement, it comes right before the Snyder Cut is released. The DCEU has been polarizing to say the least, but Cavill’s Superman has a large contingent of fans who have been demanding a true sequel to MoS. This announcement disappoints a big portion of fanbase who will now be opposing this reboot at every turn.
    I'm not sure that fanbase is very big at all, to be honest. And I don't think the General Audience is gonna care at all.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I feel that's a fundamental misunderstanding of the character..
    There is no misunderstanding.There are multiple versions of superman.Not every version of the character will be written by writers with same moral compass.As long as,there isn't something despicable in terms of moral leanings coming through in writing.I am ok.The moses superman ain't jesus.He chooses sides.The fight in the movie was really two people who have chosen their sides .He has his people he fights for.It's not that he doesn't want to save everyone.As said,He is human.He ain't omnipotent or omniscient.He physically can't.As a human he needs to prioritise.Hope,you are doing the best for everyone not just your people.Moreover,i feel That's your moral wish fullfillment that you want superman to act upon.You want an ideal that can save everyone.That tries and at the end of the day is also able to beat zod,while saving the building.You want that.You don't want superman to answer this question.

That's cool.You do you.But,don't expect others to have your morality or to feel your wish fullfillment.I don't get a kick out of a guy giving himself moral pats for "trying" and stuff like that.I know people when they are really trying and when they are faking it.I hate fake people.When these guys write the "trying" thing.More often than not,it comes of as fake to me.Case it and point,superman flying with a building in justice league.Personally,i am ok with either of the predicament(superman not answering that or answering that question).As long it doesn't feel fake.My point really was regarding clark's whole shtick and better yet destruction.
    I don't care what you feel i am doing,making excuses for snyder or otherwise.I just want writers to have more room to try new things with superman.Personally,like the new annoucement in that regard as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-28-2021 at 02:39 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Adding on to my previous statement about how WB botched this announcement, it comes right before the Snyder Cut is released. The DCEU has been polarizing to say the least, but Cavill’s Superman has a large contingent of fans who have been demanding a true sequel to MoS. This announcement disappoints a big portion of fanbase who will now be opposing this reboot at every turn.
    This isn't a announcement though, this just a rumor a real announcement would have DC head honchos, the director and probably the actor going out there and talking about how much the love superman. This is a calculated released rumor imo that can be used as feedback to form a decision. Lets pretend DC is reading the forums what information are they walking away with? If you read through the replies you will see that Val Zod or Calvin Ellis would be acceptable by most fans who are on the fence . This is not botched this feels like DC letting this get out for feeback and to start get people use to idea.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This isn't a announcement though, this just a rumor a real announcement would have DC head honchos, the director and probably the actor going out there and talking about how much the love superman. This is a calculated released rumor imo that can be used as feedback to form a decision. Lets pretend DC is reading the forums what information are they walking away with? If you read through the replies you will see that Val Zod or Calvin Ellis would be acceptable by most fans who are on the fence . This is not botched this feels like DC letting this get out for feeback and to start get people use to idea.
    This isn't a rumor, there are even statements by both JJ Abrams and Coates in the articles reporting this.

I'm not sure that fanbase is very big at all, to be honest. And I don't think the General Audience is gonna care at all.
    When you are struggling to capture big audience every little bit matters.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This isn't a rumor, there are even statements by both JJ Abrams and Coates in the articles reporting this.
    Rumor was the wrong word. This is information that got to reporter by some method. The reporter did his due diligence and follow up on information and release a story which then was confirmed by a press release by the studio. The reason I refer to it as a rumor because there isn't any concrete info on the subject that most people are talking about. What is factual

1. Superman is being rebooted
    2. Coates is the screenwriter/ Bad Robot is production company

What isn't factual . It is just speculation is that is going to be black superman concept, This is not 100% confirmed. Which brings me back to what I was saying DC didn't mess up announcement because it was mostly acknowledgement that rumored some information a news story is true. They are aspects of the story release that is rumor or speculation is that more clear?

DC isn't messing things up because we don't know what it is, we don't know if Cavil is coming back, We don't know if they are casting a new white superman, we don't know if they are casting black superman. We don't know if the DC higher ups will like Coates screenplay and approve it, etc But for the point I was making it, if WB/DC see nothing but negative feedback right now, They can course adjust so nothing but good can from this information being released this is just the planning stage as far as we know.

What happened to you man? You use KILL PEOPLE SO DEATH. Noe you are all mellowed out :P

Jk. But IDK cause I've been pretty much reading for people wanting Cavill to come back. I think WB owes him this. He still has one more movie on his contract.

Astonishing Member

I posted on the other thread about Superman's ethnicity as well - if they're going with a black Superman, I do not want it to be Kal-EL/Clark Kent. I'd much rather have Calvin Ellis.

If the goal is to do a DC version of Black Panther, Calvin Ellis is actually perfect. He's the President of the United States, in a reality where it seems like black people are the 'dominant' political power in America (not sure about that since I've read very little of Calvin Ellis...I certainly know that the League is all-black other than Batman). Hell, this world could very well be DC's "Wakanda" in a sense - a 'kingdom' who's sociopolitical dynamics they can explore, an imaginary 'world' that can gain wider pop-cultural resonance.

And one day, maybe a team-up between Calvin Ellis and Kal-El (played by Henry Cavill, hopefully...)

I definitely don't want them race-bending Clark. Leaving aside my personal preferences, doing that will pretty much turn this new Superman movie into a front in the ongoing 'culture war' (or is it the 'cold civil war') engulfing the United States right now. I think a Superman movie can live without the backlash, counter-backlash and endless toxicity that such a move would make.

One thing's for sure...even if they can convince Ta-Nehisi Coates to do a more traditional (and white) take on Superman, you can bet it'll be political.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    What happened to you man? You use KILL PEOPLE SO DEATH. Noe you are all mellowed out :P

Jk. But IDK cause I've been pretty much reading for people wanting Cavill to come back. I think WB owes him this. He still has one more movie on his contract.
    actually,he is very much in character.Atleast,his motive is.He is fighting the edgyness of postcrisis world.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post

WB doesn't owe him anything. He had his chance and blew it.

There are better actors.

I don't believe WB didn't take the Snyder fans into consideration, actually they probably announced it now in part because the Snyder Cut is so close.
    The Snyder fans are already trying to make #RestoreTheSnyderverse a thing, with people like Ray Fisher showing support. By announcing that they are rebooting Superman with JJ Abrams and Coates they let everyone know that they are moving away from the Snyderverse torwards something new, the conversation becomes about Cavill in or out? Superman black or white?
    The whole Zack Snyder verse loses relevance when the conversation migrates to "will Superman be Black" territory. It's no wonder Ray Fisher is mad about it.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    When you are struggling to capture big audience every little bit matters.
    Not if what that little bit wants is a turn off for the big audience.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Right, Snyder's Superman is supremely conscious of his environment. And yes, I hate DCAU Superman too, if that helps.

To be fair, he did turn around and looked concerned/have an "oh ****" look on his face after that explosion. And 90% of the destruction in the back half of the movie is down to Zod and his cronies. The attempt was to show him being out of his depth on essentially his first day on the job and hopefully learn from his experience. Which....eh.

DCAU Superman may get away with similar displays of power with people magically not getting hurt. But if we're suspending our disbelief for a flying alien powered by the sun that shoots lasers from his eyes, we can roll with that too. If Superman content decides not to focus on the realistic consequences of the action scenes, there's usually a pretty good reason for it: it opens a can of worms that needs to have actual work put into it to have satisfying resolutions, which we didn't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I dislike both DCAU JL Superman and Snyder Superman! STAS Superman is an ok take though.
    Caotes saying he was never into Superman but liked the DCAU is worrying. JLU isn't an ideal place to look for inspiration on how to do Superman IMO (Wonder Woman is even worse).

Hopefully he leans closer to STAS if anything. At least Superman was ok in that. Not great, but pretty good.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 02-28-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    To be fair, he did turn around and looked concerned/have an "oh ****" look on his face after that explosion. And 90% of the destruction in the back half of the movie is down to Zod and his cronies. The attempt was to show him being out of his depth on essentially his first day on the job and hopefully learn from his experience. Which....eh.

DCAU Superman may get away with similar displays of power with people magically not getting hurt. But if we're suspending our disbelief for a flying alien powered by the sun that shoots lasers from his eyes, we can roll with that too. If Superman content decides not to focus on the realistic consequences of the action scenes, there's usually a pretty good reason for it: it opens a can of worms that needs to have actual work put into it to have satisfying resolutions, which we didn't get.

Caotes saying he was never into Superman but liked the DCAU is worrying. JLU isn't an ideal place to look for inspiration on how to do Superman IMO (Wonder Woman is even worse).

Hopefully he leans closer to STAS if anything. At least Superman was ok in that. Not great, but pretty good.
    I try to stay very open minded but I am alarmed at someone writing a Superman movie saying they were never into Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    WB doesn't owe him anything. He had his chance and blew it.

There are better actors.
    He didn't "blew" anything. Everything went to sh*t because of Snyder AND WB.