Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

WB has never had a good motive for making Superman movies. Man of Steel was made so the Siegel family couldn't sue WB.

WB isn't giving a black Superman a chance out of the goodness of their heart, duh, but we take what we can get. No one cares about a studio's motive when they hire white actors and directors but as soon as WB starts moving forward with a black Superman, people start wringing their hands.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    WB has never had a good motive for making Superman movies. Man of Steel was made so the Siegel family couldn't sue WB.

WB isn't giving a black Superman a chance out of the goodness of their heart, duh, but we take what we can get. No one cares about a studio's motive when they hire white actors and directors but as soon as WB starts moving forward with a black Superman, people start wringing their hands.
    People don’t care as much about motive with white people because white people aren’t institutionally and constantly oppressed, used and crapped all over by an intensely racist system with a history of using Black bodies and Black culture for their own financial gain.

Do you care about Ray Fisher at all? Because he seems more than a little insulted by all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    People don’t care as much about motive with white people because white people aren’t institutionally and constantly oppressed, used and crapped all over by an intensely racist system with a history of using Black bodies and Black culture for their own financial gain.

Do you care about Ray Fisher at all? Because he seems more than a little insulted by all of this.
    You don't understand racism if you think white people writing, directing and starring in 80% of movies that are funded by big studios like WB isn't racist.

Do you think you know better than Ta-Nehisi Coates? I trust him to know better than anyone here.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

We know they don't make these movies out of the kindness of their own heart. However it just seem suspect that with all of the crap coming out about the whole Justice League situation percolating out there,they make this announcement while trying to cover up and downplay the situation regarding how they enabled a director to abuse his actors without any repercussions until literally years later...it does seem suspect in timing. At the very least it should raise questions and if anything, it should force WB to address the elephant in the room and clear the air,be open and honest about what occurred with JL,make the appropriate apologies and such and allow the focus on ensuring stuff like this doesn't happen in the future. Until they do, people are going to ask questions and rightfully so.

And,while I understand the sentiment that in regards to progress in opening the writing ,directing and acting duties of Superman and similar projects to people that aren't white,to "take what we can get. "....I'm just hoping for a good Superman movie. I don't care about the color of the skin of all those involved, I just want a win for the character and franchise of Superman on the big screen.

It's been 30-40 years since we've had a Superman movie that hasn't either been either an underperformer (Superman III,Superman Returns)divisive among the fandom (MOS and BvS) or an outright disaster (Superman IV,Justice League theatrical). As a fan of Superman my main concern is seeing the character do well again on the big screen. Given the ineptitude regarding cinematic Superman in general,it makes sense people are skeptical they can not only make something like the first major reemagining of one of the world's most well known pop culture icon work,but also be a good,entertaining movie as well. It's a needle that needs to be threaded here and while I think Coates and Abrams may have the talent to pull it off,I have little confidence WB won't ultimately badly fumble this.

We will see though. I'm hoping for the best.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-09-2021 at 05:30 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    We know they don't make these movies out of the kindness of their own heart. However it just seem suspect that with all of the crap coming out about the whole Justice League situation percolating out there,they make this announcement while trying to cover up and downplay the situation regarding how they enabled a director to abuse his actors without any repercussions until literally years later...it does seem suspect in timing. At the very least it should raise questions and if anything, it should force WB to address the elephant in the room and clear the air,be open and honest about what occurred with JL,make the appropriate apologies and such and allow the focus on ensuring stuff like this doesn't happen in the future. Until they do, people are going to ask questions and rightfully so.

And,while I understand the sentiment that in regards to progress in opening the writing ,directing and acting duties of Superman and similar projects to people that aren't white,to "take what we can get. "....I'm just hoping for a good Superman movie. I don't care about the color of the skin of all those involved, I just want a win for the character and franchise of Superman on the big screen. It's been 30-40 years since we've had a Superman movie that hasn't either been either an underperformer (Superman III,Superman Returns)divisive among the fandom (MOS and BvS) or an outright disaster (Superman IV,Justice League theatrical). As a fan of Superman my main concern is seeing the character do well again on the big screen. Given the ineptitude regarding cinematic Superman in general,it makes sense people are skeptical they can not only make something like the first major reemagining of one of the world's most well known pop culture icon work,but also be a good,entertaining movie as well. It's a needle that needs to be threaded here and while I think Coates and Abrams may have the talent to pull it off,I have little confidence WB won't ultimately badly fumble this.
    They are doing it for PR. A big studio like WB doesn't care about racial equality. They never have good motives. They do not deserve credit for this.

The people you have to count on are the writers, directors and cast. Ta-Nehisi Coates is sincere, he's not doing this for PR or to get the heat off WB.
    Last edited by Kara Danvers; 05-09-2021 at 05:19 AM.

BANNED

I know I may be banned anywhere for saying this, and I'm not free and allowed to claim this, but this is my democratical thought:

Create a new Black character being alien and having Superman's powers, and just change his name and costume.

Superman is Superman.

Anything else is a new character.

Astonishing Member

I am black, this is nothing more than a calculation based on the fact that WB/DC has

1. Been struggling since at least the early aughts on what to do with the franchise beyond low budget tv shows.

2. Recently have been embroiled in the Joss Whedon/ Ray Fischer fiasco

3. Cavil's position as an actor has improved since he first got the gig back in 2013

4. Disney showed that the multitude of black celebrities can do a lot of leg work when it comes to marketing a black character in a high position

WB is trying to kill many birds with one stone. Dump Cavil who's probably asking for more money and creative control, erase the stench of Whedon, figure out what to do with a character who's being shown up by evil versions of himself, all while putting out as little financial risk as feasible since at the very least there have been other successful black mains in the superhero genre. Really ask yourself, why didn't the go with an asian, indian, native american, or any other sort of non white casting? Beacuse they're unknown quantities in a big budget Superhero movies. We'll see what WB comes up with, I'm at least willing to give them a chance but just based on what I'm hearing the only thing that really impresses me is that it might be based around the golden age interpretation.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    I know I may be banned anywhere for saying this, and I'm not free and allowed to claim this, but this is my democratical thought:

Create a new Black character being alien and having Superman's powers, and just change his name and costume.

Superman is Superman.

Anything else is a new character.
    I think what the character embodies is more important than the color of the skin of the actor who plays him. As long as the character in question embodies all the basic qualities of what Superman has been,has more or less the same basic origin (doomed planet,Kindly couple,powers and abilities beyond those of mortal men,fights for truth and justice, etc) ,and wears a costume that's similar enough to the one we know,he's Superman.,
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I am black, this is nothing more than a calculation based on the fact that WB/DC has

1. Been struggling since at least the early aughts on what to do with the franchise beyond low budget tv shows.

2. Recently have been embroiled in the Joss Whedon/ Ray Fischer fiasco

3. Cavil's position as an actor has improved since he first got the gig back in 2013

4. Disney showed that the multitude of black celebrities can do a lot of leg work when it comes to marketing a black character in a high position

WB is trying to kill many birds with one stone. Dump Cavil who's probably asking for more money and creative control, erase the stench of Whedon, figure out what to do with a character who's being shown up by evil versions of himself, all while putting out as little financial risk as feasible since at the very least there have been other successful black mains in the superhero genre. Really ask yourself, why didn't the go with an asian, indian, native american, or any other sort of non white casting? Beacuse they're unknown quantities in a big budget Superhero movies. We'll see what WB comes up with, I'm at least willing to give them a chance but just based on what I'm hearing the only thing that really impresses me is that it might be based around the golden age interpretation.
    One thing I've been thinking about is that I wouldn't mind them adapting elements of the initial Grant Morrison arc of Action Comics in the new 52. The social crusading two fisted champion of the oppressed. Distrusted by the system,loved by most of the common people. Throw in some bits and pieces of Greg Pak's early issues of the Truth Storyline (the Kentville supporting cast) . Lean hard into the tshirt and jeans look. At least initially .No lex Luthor or Zod. Have Metallo be the main threat if you want a smaller scale threat, or even Brainiac if you want the scale to be bigger. Set it either in the 30s and 40s or even 60s or 70s. Draw from the early Siegel and Shuster stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    One thing I've been thinking about is that I wouldn't mind them adapting elements of the initial Grant Morrison arc of Action Comics in the new 52. The social crusading two fisted champion of the oppressed. Distrusted by the system,loved by most of the common people. Throw in some bits and pieces of Greg Pak's early issues of the Truth Storyline (the Kentville supporting cast) . Lean hard into the tshirt and jeans look. At least initially .No lex Luthor or Zod. Have Metallo be the main threat if you want a smaller scale threat, or even Brainiac if you want the scale to be bigger. Set it either in the 30s and 40s or even 60s or 70s. Draw from the early Siegel and Shuster stories.
    You know...I'd LOVE to see that. But I feel the ''black Superman'' narrative doesn't necessarily lend itself to this. If you want to redo Golden Age Superman of all versions, then he might as well look like the Golden Age Superman.

I'm okay with Calvin Ellis as the black President Superman. I'm okay with a white Clark Kent as Golden Age Superman. I'm a lot more skeptical about a race-bent black Clark Kent as the Golden Age Superman (or any Superman for that matter).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Do you think you know better than Ta-Nehisi Coates? I trust him to know better than anyone here.
    Go the Black Panther thread in the Marvel forum.

I don't think anyone there thinks he knows better than them on what was best for that character. And again, that's a character who was already created as black and has become a very important icon to the black community.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Go the Black Panther thread in the Marvel forum.

I don't think anyone there thinks he knows better than them on what was best for that character. And again, that's a character who was already created as black and has become a very important icon to the black community.
    Marvel fans don't know better than the man who wrote Between the World and Me.

People just going in circles to pretend that their main issue is WB "not caring" when the reality is just that you have a problem with a black man playing Superman. Same old same old no matter how people sugarcoat it. We have gone through this with literally every race-bent casting. Noothing new. But please don't pretend to be an ally for black people.

So I'm racist because I wanted Calvin or Val getting a movie instead of black Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So I'm racist because I wanted Calvin or Val getting a movie instead of black Clark?
    No but you shouldn't use that as a reason against this movie happening.