Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

After reading how Abrams "handled" the Star Wars sequels, I don't want him anywhere near Superman. No plan? Seriously? How does this guy keep getting work? Abrams career is proof that in Hollywood, it's not talent that gets you work, it's who you know.
    Assassinate Putin!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    After reading how Abrams "handled" the Star Wars sequels, I don't want him anywhere near Superman. No plan? Seriously? How does this guy keep getting work? Abrams career is proof that in Hollywood, it's not talent that gets you work, it's who you know.
    And after how he and his son handled *cough botched cough* their Spider-Man mini, I couldn't agree with you more. Keep that overrated hack far away from other high-profile properties.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

JJ is becoming the franchise killer, along with being King of Copy Cat Remakes.

Both the Star Trek and Star Wars IP have been damaged beyond repair. Disney has no plans for a Star Wars new movie until 2023, at the earliest. Star Trek hasn't had a movie since Star Trek Beyond flopped in 2016 and is unlikely to ever see the big screen again. Trek on TV/Stream (Discovery, Picard and Lower Decks) produced by Bad Robot (JJ's production company) and Secret Hideout (Abrams frequent collaborator Alex Kurtzman's production company) have struggled to bring in viewers and subscriptions for CBS All Access/Paramount+.

The only IP Abrams and Bad Robot haven't mucked up is Mission Impossible and that's because they are Tom Cruise vanity projects. He produces them and he lobbies to get them made.

Networking and failing upwards.

Like Geoff Johns, who got his start in Hollywood by knowing Richard Donner. Abrams got his start by knowing Kathleen Kennedy back in the early 2000s. Kennedy knows Lucas and Spielberg, who Abrams pirates the most of his work from and the rest is history.

It's remarkable to think that, Abrams and Bad Robot signed a $500 million dollar deal with WB for the production of movies and TV shows in 2019. So far, the only things they've been committed to doing is a Superman reboot. We've heard nothing about The Overlook series (from Stephen King's the Shining) TV show. Why this was pitched after Doctor Sleep (the Shining Sequel WB released in 2019) flopped at the BO. I have no idea. The reboot of the Duster TV series has had no movement either. The other big IP was the Justice League Dark series JJ and Bad Robot were supposed to put together. Nothing on that either.

Good job, WB. Money well spent.

Fun fact: Abrams and Bad Robot turned down a $1 billion dollar deal with Apple, to sign with WB instead. Apple wanted Bad Robot to create "original content" for their Apple TV streaming and movie service. You can guess why they signed with WB instead. Worst part about it is, they aren't doing anything with the IPs WB has that they could make successes out of.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Anyone else get the feeling that this is a joker type elseworlds film rather than a serious attempt at making a franchise?

And we all falsely assumed that this was a “reboot” rather than a standalone movie
    If the rumors about it being a period piece are true, then yeah it will probably be a standalone Elseworld. Getting Coates to try to start a new Superman franchise is jaw droppingly idiotic, he’s a huge figure of controversy as he admits himself in that interview, and his writing isn’t going to produce a family friendly adventure flick that will bring in a billion. Supergirl will probably be the main character of the next “franchise” and Coates Superman will be the Oscar bait flick about racism. Also probably boring as hell going off of his fiction work.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Just saw this the other day about Abrams's first Superman pitch back in the early 2000s...

https://www.cbr.com/abrams-superman-flyby-baffling/
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The one with the FBI/CIA agent Luthor? That was a stroke of genius!! (Read with an enthusiastic Homer Simpson voice).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The one with the FBI/CIA agent Luthor? That was a stroke of genius!! (Read with an enthusiastic Homer Simpson voice).
    Ha, I think Homer would have wholeheartedly approved of the Kryptonian ninjas.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

While it feels weird to sort of quasi defend Abrams (I think the guy is way overrated), the "story" that had been attributed to him supposedly "admitting" the Star Wars sequels had no plan was actually a quote about some new television project he was working on and he was asked whether or not it was better to have a plan or not to have a plan. Certain nerd based websites and internet personalities immediately declared that he was referencing Star Wars in his quote, which he never did,and splashed it all over as such,and other lazy websites then reported that "JJ Abrams admits he didn't have a plan for Star Wars" based on those other click bait articles and videos. Now,he may have been indirectly referencing his time on Star Wars, but he never said it was, at least in the interview that the quotes came from.

Also,as for Abrams "killing " Star Wars and Star Trek...the thing is neither franchise was particularly flourishing before he joined up with them. Star Trek was floundering before Abrams. The last two Next Gen movies bombed at the box office,and on the television front,ENTERPRISE was canceled 4 seasons into what was supposed to be a 7 season planned run and Star Trek left TV all together for the first time since 1986/87,and basically disappeared for a few years. Star Trek.was for all intents and purposes,dead.

Star Wars was faring better,but the franchise was still struggling to overcome the stink of the prequels,with George' Lucas long gestating proposed Star Wars syndicated live action series all but dead in development due to lack of funds, with the only ongoing content The Clone wars cartoon and 3D re-releases of the Previous movies on the docket,the first of which (the 3D remaster of The Phantom Menace) doing very poorly. Aside from that,Lucas had little ambition to do any more Star Wars movies himself and only had "treatments " for a sequel trilogy he was using as a selling point as he was actively looking to sell Lucasfilm to another studio and retire. He had already put Kathleen Kennedy in charge of the day to day operations at Lucasfilm before he sold to Disney.

After Abrams there is apparently another Star Trek movie in the works and another couple new series in development,with the existing ones being renewed. in the case of Star Wars sequels were huge at the box office, the Mandalorian is the hottest thing going on streaming with plenty of more series and yes,movies on the way. I personally am luke warm on Abrams contributions to both, but he didn’t exactly kill Star Trek or Star Wars. If anything he helped get the ball rolling again with both after both franchises had ground to a halt. His stuff may not particularly be great works of art,but they were successful enough to allow both Franchises to exist again. He may not have saved them,but he certainly didn't kill them.

That being said, as I said earlier,I'm attempting to keep an open mind to what this Superman movie until we see something concrete other than speculation. It may be great or it may suck. Based on Abrams "Fly By" script...let's just say I'm glad he isn't writing the thing. Also if it is just a stand alone elseworlds tale,then other than his name and money, I doubt this film will have many if any of JJ Abrams tropes or fingerprints on the project.

I do wonder if he will also produce the next "proper" Superman movie after this. Meaning mainstream big screen continuity Superman. As long as he doesn't write the screenplay or the story and as long as he doesn't direct it, again I don't think we will have to worry too much about the usual JJ-isms.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-30-2021 at 03:21 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    While it feels weird to sort of quasi defend Abrams (I think the guy is way overrated), the "story" that had been attributed to him supposedly "admitting" the Star Wars sequels had no plan was actually a quote about some new television project he was working on and he was asked whether or not it was better to have a plan or not to have a plan. Certain nerd based websites and internet personalities immediately declared that he was referencing Star Wars in his quote, which he never did,and splashed it all over as such,and other lazy websites then reported that "JJ Abrams admits he didn't have a plan for Star Wars" based on those other click bait articles and videos. Now,he may have been indirectly referencing his time on Star Wars, but he never said it was, at least in the interview that the quotes came from.

Also,as for Abrams "killing " Star Wars and Star Trek...the thing is neither franchise was particularly flourishing before he joined up with them. Star Trek was floundering before Abrams. The last two Next Gen movies bombed at the box office,and on the television front,ENTERPRISE was canceled 4 seasons into what was supposed to be a 7 season planned run and Star Trek left TV all together for the first time since 1986/87,and basically disappeared for a few years. Star Trek.was for all intents and purposes,dead.

Star Wars was faring better,but the franchise was still struggling to overcome the stink of the prequels,with George' Lucas long gestating proposed Star Wars syndicated live action series all but dead in development due to lack of funds, with the only ongoing content The Clone wars cartoon and 3D re-releases of the Previous movies on the docket,the first of which (the 3D remaster of The Phantom Menace) doing very poorly. Aside from that,Lucas had little ambition to do any more Star Wars movies himself and only had "treatments " for a sequel trilogy he was using as a selling point as he was actively looking to sell Lucasfilm to another studio and retire. He had already put Kathleen Kennedy in charge of the day to day operations at Lucasfilm before he sold to Disney.

After Abrams there is apparently another Star Trek movie in the works and another couple new series in development,with the existing ones being renewed. in the case of Star Wars sequels were huge at the box office, the Mandalorian is the hottest thing going on streaming with plenty of more series and yes,movies on the way. I personally am luke warm on Abrams contributions to both, but he didn’t exactly kill Star Trek or Star Wars. If anything he helped get the ball rolling again with both after both franchises had ground to a halt. His stuff may not particularly be great works of art,but they were successful enough to allow both Franchises to exist again. He may not have saved them,but he certainly didn't kill them.

That being said, as I said earlier,I'm attempting to keep an open mind to what this Superman movie until we see something concrete other than speculation. It may be great or it may suck. Based on Abrams "Fly By" script...let's just say I'm glad he isn't writing the thing. Also if it is just a stand alone elseworlds tale,then other than his name and money, I doubt this film will have many if any of JJ Abrams tropes or fingerprints on the project.

I do wonder if he will also produce the next "proper" Superman movie after this. Meaning mainstream big screen continuity Superman. As long as he doesn't write the screenplay or the story and as long as he doesn't direct it, again I don't think we will have to worry too much about the usual JJ-isms.
    Well said, my friend, well said.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't blame Abrams entirely. The man didn't hire himself. But there's a million different gatekeepers between the time an idea is proposed and the time it hits the screen. And anyone along that chain of command should have said "Gee, maybe fans will hate the idea of breaking up Han and Leia and turning their son into the villain. Maybe fans will hate the idea of making Luke some kind of hermit who resents being a Jedi". Some things really are just objectively bad ideas that anyone should be able to see. Otherwise you're just back to "Jar Jar is the key to all of this" again with one man's ego taking precedence over those around him who know better but aren't in a position to stop him. Lucas lost his mind in the early to mid-nineties and Fox should have stepped in the moment the first sketches of Jar Jar came out and said "this guy needs a handler". So, no, the failure of the Star Wars franchise isn't on one person. But that doesn't mean the chain of command didn't fail. The "one great man" theory needs to die.

As for Star Trek, it's obvious that the people left in charge were eager to throw out Roddenberry's vision of a perfect utopia a long time ago as far back as Deep Space Nine. But, again, when someone comes along and says "Let's retcon the original series and say it never happened", that might be a red flag you aren't taking the fans into consideration. There are ways to do it that don't require literally throwing out everything that came before. I get that there are a lot of armchair warriors out there who whine whenever the main character of a franchise is changed from a white man to literally anything else but that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate objections to some of this stuff. Discovery is also bad. I've seen the first three episodes and didn't want to see anymore. Not because the main character is a black woman but because it's just badly written. I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Picard without asking if the creators had even seen Star Trek before. Again, where is the chain of command?

I also have to wonder about what's going through Abrams mind himself when he thinks some of this stuff is a good idea. No one would support destroying the relationship between the original Star Wars characters but somehow Abrams thought he could sell it to fans? Really? Who thinks giving Kirk an abusive step father would be a good idea? Or having him steal a car that relies on a fuel source that would have been out of production for three centuries by that time? Is this a scientology thing? I know next to nothing about this Kathleen Kennedy. The only thing I know about her is that my step dad watches all these videos on YT that support comicsgate and whines about "SJW" so what little information I have is, shall we say, less than reliable. But, again, someone who can't see that you can't sell the fans on the idea of breaking the relationship between the three main characters and more or less ruining their lives, might not be the best fit for this franchise.
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I don't blame Abrams entirely. The man didn't hire himself. But there's a million different gatekeepers between the time an idea is proposed and the time it hits the screen. And anyone along that chain of command should have said "Gee, maybe fans will hate the idea of breaking up Han and Leia and turning their son into the villain. Maybe fans will hate the idea of making Luke some kind of hermit who resents being a Jedi". Some things really are just objectively bad ideas that anyone should be able to see. Otherwise you're just back to "Jar Jar is the key to all of this" again with one man's ego taking precedence over those around him who know better but aren't in a position to stop him. Lucas lost his mind in the early to mid-nineties and Fox should have stepped in the moment the first sketches of Jar Jar came out and said "this guy needs a handler". So, no, the failure of the Star Wars franchise isn't on one person. But that doesn't mean the chain of command didn't fail. The "one great man" theory needs to die.

As for Star Trek, it's obvious that the people left in charge were eager to throw out Roddenberry's vision of a perfect utopia a long time ago as far back as Deep Space Nine. But, again, when someone comes along and says "Let's retcon the original series and say it never happened", that might be a red flag you aren't taking the fans into consideration. There are ways to do it that don't require literally throwing out everything that came before. I get that there are a lot of armchair warriors out there who whine whenever the main character of a franchise is changed from a white man to literally anything else but that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate objections to some of this stuff. Discovery is also bad. I've seen the first three episodes and didn't want to see anymore. Not because the main character is a black woman but because it's just badly written. I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Picard without asking if the creators had even seen Star Trek before. Again, where is the chain of command?

I also have to wonder about what's going through Abrams mind himself when he thinks some of this stuff is a good idea. No one would support destroying the relationship between the original Star Wars characters but somehow Abrams thought he could sell it to fans? Really? Who thinks giving Kirk an abusive step father would be a good idea? Or having him steal a car that relies on a fuel source that would have been out of production for three centuries by that time? Is this a scientology thing? I know next to nothing about this Kathleen Kennedy. The only thing I know about her is that my step dad watches all these videos on YT that support comicsgate and whines about "SJW" so what little information I have is, shall we say, less than reliable. But, again, someone who can't see that you can't sell the fans on the idea of breaking the relationship between the three main characters and more or less ruining their lives, might not be the best fit for this franchise.
    I don't completely disagree with most of what you are saying here. As I've said,I think Abrams is over rated and its astounding how many times he's been given keys to the kingdoms of various big tent pole franchises when he was only known a decade ago for being a producer of a few well received tv shows. I think he's good with actors and knows how to direct them (something George Lucas was never good at) and he knows how to cast roles generally well and deliver entertaining popcorn spectacles,but he is terrible with writing stories ,particularly endings and he is the ultimate Spielberg cover act. I think if he doesn't write the script or story and just cast the film and direct it,I think he would do a decent Superman movie. Just keep him out of story meetings and far away from the script in any capacity.

I'm a casual Star Trek fan. Loved and grew up with the original series reruns and the first six theatrical films. Liked The Next Generation but sort of lost interest in Star Trek after that. I for one liked the 09 film. It was a breath of fresh air even though I had my problems with it (Nero was a terrible villain and I wasn't a fan of making Kirk that much of a punk) I liked into Darkness until the last act,which ruined it for me and by the time Kirk dies the same way Spock did in II,I completely checked out. BEYOND I saw on DVD and ended up liking it. I've only seen a few episodes of Discovery and....its OK. My mom is an old school Trek fan and she likes that and Picard, so make of it what you will.

It is unfortunate that the comicsgate and Fandom Menace types have so dominated any critical discourse about Star Wars and Star Trek that it has drowned out any nuance of opinion and sort of forced Fandom to divide itself into such extremes. You either have to be slavishly devoted to defending the new Trek and New Star Wars or risk being confused with those that complain about both because of so called "wokeness", or if you even say anything positive about the new stuff,you are somehow a Disney/Paramount shill and are ready to overthrow the patriarchy or something. This politicization of nerd culture is troubling and while for the most part Superman Fandom has escaped that for now,I fear that will change for the worst very soon.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-30-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

It is unfortunate that the comicsgate and Fandom Menace types have so dominated any critical discourse about Star Wars and Star Trek that it has drowned out any nuance of opinion and sort of forced Fandom to divide itself into such extremes. You either have to be slavishly devoted to defending the new Trek and New Star Wars or risk being confused with those that complain about both because of so called "wokeness", or if you even say anything positive about the new stuff,you are somehow a Disney/Paramount shill and are ready to overthrow the patriarchy or something. This politicization of nerd culture is troubling and while for the most part Superman Fandom has escaped that for now,I fear that will change for the worst very soon.
    If someone immediately pigeon holes you into a camp like that, then they're not worth debating with. I've had plenty of good constructive conversations with other fans about Star Wars. You just need to filter your audience better.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Anyone else get the feeling that this is a joker type elseworlds film rather than a serious attempt at making a franchise?

And we all falsely assumed that this was a “reboot” rather than a standalone movie
    To be honest with you, I'd rather most these movies get made with the expectation that you get only one and only talk about more if it's a success. I don't want them to hold back and start planting seeds for arcs and plans that could change, or a director comes and upends them, or so many other things. Come in, tell a banger of a story and we'll see after that.

I'm unlikely to ever get what I want if Hollywood's trajectory is any indicator.

Ultimate Member

Well here is the thing with those groups-they do NOT watch or READ what they throw fits about.
    They go under the idea of NO ONE WILL READ OR WATCH THIS-so they can make up whatever they want.

Example-one of those types made at least 10 videos attacking Star Wars Last Jedi. Comparing it to 1986 Transformers and unloading a TON of misinformation. One of his viewers asked him this "you were on here BEGGING for money to get a haircut. How did you have money to see that movie?"
    The reply-"I never saw it, I only watched the TRAILERS."

Folks like that are mad and bitter.
    Most have their own stuff that NOBODY is supporting.
    Some are mad and bitter because you have franchises going after audiences that were ignored.

BANNED

Star Wars was going fine without abrams and episode 7 would have made 2 billion dollars regardless if it was decent

After abrams...it’s an open question whether or not an episode 10 would be anything other than a flop, or that Star Wars is even a viable franchise anymore with a lot of evidence pointing to a massive decline in interest

If you were to openly question episode 7’s box office potential, you would have been declared an idiot

If you say that episode 10 would be a flop regardless of what they do, you would mostly get agreement.

Star Trek was the dead franchise that abrams saved

Star Wars was the sleeping giant that abrams and rian johnson killed

Also...the source of all of the sequel trilogy’s bad ideas can be traced all the way to force awakens, the baby of jj abrams.

This movie might be the first Superman movie to straight up flop rather than underperform, and bury the prospect of another Superman movie for good

Source: Star Wars fan
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-06-2021 at 04:11 PM.