Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

I hope this rumor is true. I have zero faith in JJ and Coates.

All these brain dead studio suits who “don’t get Superman”. Just make a fun superhero movie! You don’t need to deconstruct the character every time. Superman vs Brainiac. There, done. Make it happen.

He’s an altruistic man with amazing powers and he uses those powers to help people. How is that so hard for people to wrap their heads around?!?
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-21-2022 at 09:57 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

All these brain dead studio suits who “don’t get Superman”. Just make a fun superhero movie! You don’t need to deconstruct the character every time. Superman vs Brainiac. There, done. Make it happen.

He’s an altruistic man with amazing powers and he uses those powers to help people. How is that so hard for people to wrap their heads around?!?
    You don't typically get to having the kind of money to bankroll these kinds of projects by believing in those kinds of people, nor trying to help others.

The ultimate irony is that Superman's on-screen fate is controlled by people more like Luthor than him.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Is it just altruism though?.."he does it because he loves us all" doesn't seem like altruism or being just a man.My neighbour helps people out..I dont believe the guy would proclaim he loves humanity or something like that.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is it just altruism though?.."he does it because he loves us all" doesn't seem like altruism or being just a man.My neighbour helps people out..I dont believe the guy would proclaim he loves humanity or something like that.
    I actually agree with that. Clark having a deep appreciation for human life resonates. Him having aspirations for humanity also resonates. But "loving humanity" is fake, to me.

Getting back to the point, JJ Abrams is no genius as a storyteller, but he does know how to create a feeling as a director, and connect with a character. So I don't think he's a bad choice on that level.

And the concept of Calvin Ellis is straight up awesome. A superhero with the burden of being a politician (be it president or mayor). I think that's an easy sell. And Coates could probably do something interesting with that. But if they actually want to make a Val Zod movie, might as well throw it in the trash. Nothing good could come from that.
    Last edited by Alpha; 03-22-2022 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I actually agree with that. Clark having a deep appreciation for human life resonates. Him having aspirations for humanity also resonates. But "loving humanity" is fake, to me.
    I would say appreciation for life in general..not just human...my version of Clark has a deep connection to lions.

Given they’ve pushed their entire state back perhaps this is reading a little too much into a across the board delay. Who knows though. The success of The Batman would likely encourage them to reboot versus going crawling back to Cavill.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Just adapt Up in the Sky, Superman don't need to be relatable, he needs to have a relatable objectve, in that case rescue a litle girl who was kidnapped by aliens, he is the only one who can hepl her, so he goes. No burden, no powers, just wanting to help someone in need.
    John Wick isn't relatable as a person, but wanting revenge is. We don't need know how it is to be a superpowered alien, but as long as we understand what and why Superman want to do, we can relate in that instance.

Also, James Bond isn't relatable and he have 20+ movies.
    This would be a solid story to adapt. It's pretty episodic so would work on the small screen too. Either way, the emotional climax of when he finally rescues the girl has pretty great potential.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I would say appreciation for life in general..not just human...my version of Clark has a deep connection to lions.
    I liked his connection to animals, and all things living, in Birthright.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I'm hoping two things with this: First, I really hope the rumor that this reboot is in development hell is true. Nothing about this proposed reboot sounds good. Look, traditionally I'm not a fan of race bending characters, but "black Clark Kent" is so far down the list of red flags for this it's not even worth discussing; for all he might be good in magazines and newspapers and real world reporting, what I've heard of Coates' comic book work has been down right discouraging. Abrams is alright in reintroducing characters in big schlocky blockbuster explosions type films which is cool, but how the franchises have gone after has been...eh, no. Never mind plenty don't like those reintroduction takes anyways. Setting it in the past as a period piece feels like WB execs admitting they think Superman is an antiquated idea so it makes sense to set him in antiquity, which is not a view I like them espousing. Just, yeah, short of a really stellar trailer my enthusiasm for this whole proposed project has been underwhelmingly below zero.

But my second hope is, I just don't want Cavill Supes back. I like the actor alright enough, I think he could do a marvelous job if given better material with a script and director who gets Superman much better than Snyder ever did, and none of the bad things about his Superman portrayal was his decision or his fault, and much of what worked with his take I'd probably chalk up to him over the guys behind the camera. But I feel his take is coming from tainted stories/movies now with so much baggage that any film with him would be starting at a disadvantaged position with an uphill battle to climb, and would just feed the worst of the Snyderverse cult at this point. Cavill seems like a great guy I'd love to be friends with, I wish him luck, and he was done dirty by WB, but I just can't see a way forward with him. I still hope for a reboot, I just hope that reboot ain't the Abrams/Coates picture.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I was one of the few people around here to actually looking forward to the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Kinda wondered if I should make a thread but I guess we’ll just use this one. I’ve seen other “insiders” say they’re not hearing anything about the Coates project and it may be dead. No tears on my part if so. Perhaps the seeming inability of WB to come to a decision on Cavill is playing a part. If Cavill is actually planning to return then they may have decided to hold off on rebooting Superman. If Cavill does return I expect the Val-Zod project to also be cancelled or left to wither in dev hell. For now the only Super character moving forward seems to be Supergirl who is set to be the “face” of the franchise going forward regardless of whether or not Cavill returns or these other projects get made.
    I see Superman is not a priority for WB and Abrams. The former has many other movies with other DC characters in development, and the latter has the JLD projects already in pre-production unlike the SM project.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Just adapt Up in the Sky, Superman don't need to be relatable, he needs to have a relatable objectve, in that case rescue a litle girl who was kidnapped by aliens, he is the only one who can hepl her, so he goes. No burden, no powers, just wanting to help someone in need.
    John Wick isn't relatable as a person, but wanting revenge is. We don't need know how it is to be a superpowered alien, but as long as we understand what and why Superman want to do, we can relate in that instance.

Also, James Bond isn't relatable and he have 20+ movies.
    More than relatable, the audience needs to find a movie with Superman fun and entertaining enough.

Lives or dies probably on Flashpoint probably.
    She doesn't seem a one-and-done character. I recall the search for the right actress to play Supergirl being compared to Gal being cast as WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I was one of the few people around here to actually looking forward to the project.

I see Superman is not a priority for WB and Abrams. The former has many other movies with other DC characters in development, and the latter has the JLD projects already in pre-production unlike the SM project.
    I was not, I left Star Wars after TFA, and I thought Coates BP & Cap runs sucked. Nothing about this creative team or their pitch sounded like something I wanted.

Yeah for now Superman is on the back burner, but whether that’s because they’re pushing Supergirl, have decided to let S&L run it’s course since it’s a success for HBO Max thus far per THR, think Coates script sucked, or are in negotiations with Cavill again is yet another question mark. I don’t really care to be honest, I hope they just green light the Smallville animated continuation and put out a theatrical animated Superman film on par with Spider-Verse, then 10 years down the road they can try another reboot. If we don’t hearing anything by next year Feb, which will be Black history month and Superman’s 85th, then I think we can consider this project quietly cancelled just like MoS2 was.
    More than relatable, the audience needs to find a movie with Superman fun and entertaining enough.

She doesn't seem a one-and-done character. I recall the search for the right actress to play Supergirl being compared to Gal being cast as WW.
    Gaius is referring to future plans for Supergirl. Right now she is supposed to replace Cavill on the JL and be in future JL films, she’s also supposed to get her own solo film. If Flash flops however that could all get cancelled.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I was not, I left Star Wars after TFA, and I thought Coates BP & Cap runs sucked. Nothing about this creative team or their pitch sounded like something I wanted.
    I haven't read Coates comics. Whatever Coates' flaws as writer are, a director would've made the project his/her own anyway.

Yeah for now Superman is on the back burner, but whether that’s because they’re pushing Supergirl, have decided to let S&L run it’s course since it’s a success for HBO Max thus far per THR, think Coates script sucked, or are in negotiations with Cavill again is yet another question mark. I don’t really care to be honest, I hope they just green light the Smallville animated continuation and put out a theatrical animated Superman film on par with Spider-Verse, then 10 years down the road they can try another reboot. If we don’t hearing anything by next year Feb, which will be Black history month and Superman’s 85th, then I think we can consider this project quietly cancelled just like MoS2 was.
    There is still hope for a SM movie coming out for his 90th anniversary.

Gaius is referring to future plans for Supergirl. Right now she is supposed to replace Cavill on the JL and be in future JL films, she’s also supposed to get her own solo film. If Flash flops however that could all get cancelled.
    I can see WB moving ahead with the Supergirl solo even if Flash flop (assuming Sasha doesn't end up being disliked in the role). Same for eventual JL movies. But they'll not give another chance to Barry instead.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    I just feel like i'm on crazy pills sometimes. It seems so obvious to me that everyone not only loves Cavill as Superman, but Cavill in general. How does WB not see this? Are they really that divorced from reality?
    My understanding is that WB was less-than-thrilled with the reception and box office of MAN OF STEEL, which led to drastic changes in turning the sequel into a Justice League prequel that prominently featured Batman. Additionally, they asked Cavill to come back in a couple of different ways, mostly as a cameo or supporting role, but allegedly he wants a certain amount of money, creative control, and a promise of another feature film, so WB has remained frozen with what to do.

I wish we would have gotten a proper sequel to MAN OF STEEL with a better story and script, but I think the time has passed. Even if they got a script in place by the end of the year, it'll be 2024 or 2025 at the earliest before it's released. Cavill will be in his 40's, while Amy Adams will be in her early 50's. Not saying it can't be done but it just seems really unlikely.

The only option at this point is a reboot, with a good script and a plot that really gets Superman. I liked MoS but it felt like Snyder was trying to convey too much a world with Superman in it than Superman himself.

I'd again point out that WB really could've ended this circus by just replacing Cavill. I mean, it's not like every hockey fan in Alberta, Canada refused to watch Edmonton Oilers games just because they traded Wayne Gretzky. I mean, I liked Cavill as Superman, but the blame to me is on WB. If the hired hand isn't willing to cooperate, REPLACE THE DUDE.

I think i will be comfortable with cavill have creative rights to superman for the big screen than wb..Their track record with any property other than batman is not great.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    My understanding is that WB was less-than-thrilled with the reception and box office of MAN OF STEEL, which led to drastic changes in turning the sequel into a Justice League prequel that prominently featured Batman. Additionally, they asked Cavill to come back in a couple of different ways, mostly as a cameo or supporting role, but allegedly he wants a certain amount of money, creative control, and a promise of another feature film, so WB has remained frozen with what to do.

I wish we would have gotten a proper sequel to MAN OF STEEL with a better story and script, but I think the time has passed. Even if they got a script in place by the end of the year, it'll be 2024 or 2025 at the earliest before it's released. Cavill will be in his 40's, while Amy Adams will be in her early 50's. Not saying it can't be done but it just seems really unlikely.

The only option at this point is a reboot, with a good script and a plot that really gets Superman. I liked MoS but it felt like Snyder was trying to convey too much a world with Superman in it than Superman himself.
    It will be a decade next year. It's time to move on from Cavill.

You can absolutely love him forever and say he's your Superman like I do with Reeve, but the films just have to move on from him.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.