Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445 LastLast

Lois Lane is written with an Asian Actress in mind
    Hollywood's take on multiculturalism.

Extraordinary Member

Sounds as dreadful as I feared. They have literally no fresh ideas, just rehashes of older material they're trying to pretend is edgy and new. However, it will likely fail and that will be that.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    They have literally no fresh ideas, just rehashes of older material they're trying to pretend is edgy and new.
    when has that ever happened?They are literally doing donner rehashes most of the time.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Some quick thoughts about the rumors of the Coates script.

Conceptually, there's very little i dislike about what I'm reading here. Going back to the core roots of the character as a two fisted social crusader and having his powers mirror the early comics is something pretty bold for live action and is a take we haven't ever seen in live action. Having the Ultra humanite as the villain is also pretty great, especially that there seems to be no Zod or Luthor in sight. Basing Pa Kent on Jerry Siegel is also inspired and cuts to the characters secret origins and has new meaning to anyone who knows what tragedy inspired Siegel to think up a bulletproof man.

It will all come down to execution. I hope whomever becomes director is able to take these concepts and Coates script and zero in on the right feel and vibe for the material.

That all being said, i do hope that this is a one or two off like JOKER was and not going to be the actual replacement of Cavill and or a proper mainstream DCEU Superman. JOKER was a great movie but I wouldn't want that version to be the mainstream version just as I wouldn't want this to supplant a more traditional take. If they can't come to terms with Henry Cavill just recast or reboot with a recast. I hope that with the Discovery shake up the whole "let's get rid of Clark Kent and replace him with Kara " stuff that was supposed to be rolling out of Flash is undone.

Iwould not mind Kara being around but not to replace Kal-El. If they can't get Cavill to come back, just have Brandon Routh show up at the end of the Flash as the "new" Superman similar to how Keaton will apparently end up as the "new" Batman.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-25-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

This sounds unsurprisingly awful, if true. There are some good ideas in there but they're overwhelmed by Coates' agenda.

If Discovery really wants to make Superman a priority, all they have to do is find a writer/director who A) understands Superman and B) has an affinity for the character. That has to be there first and foremost. WB's philosophy has always been "filmmaker vision first," and it's overreliance on this in recent years (Nolan, Goyer, Snyder) that's led them to this impasse. Letting Coates and Abrams have carte blanche will only lead to another failure.

Sounds like a great take. My only notes would be to include x-ray & heat vision, but beyond that it's exactly what I hoped they'd start with. I hope they keep the t-shirt/jeans look and actually give Lois a significant role.

Not really sure where people are getting bent out of shape about the direction. Using Superman as an allegory for passing/race is pretty baked into the character. And Superman as an immigration allegory in the modern time would almost require someone non-white, so that's fine by me. Cast Rege-Jean Page to stick it to Johns for passing on him for Krypton.

I think if this were an animated movie or comic miniseries, these ideas would be OK. I have some concerns that Hollywood is capitulating and saying modern-day Superman is just too hard or uninteresting to write and modern audiences wouldn't like the character so they "have" to change the character. A lot of us like Morrison's T-shirt and jeans Superman, but not as a replacement. He's a part of a story arc. If they go this route for Superman in Hollywood, I want them to commit to making that part of the character's development, not the end state for the character.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 04-25-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think if this were an animated movie or comic miniseries, these ideas would be OK. I have some concerns that Hollywood is capitulating and saying modern-day Superman is just too hard or uninteresting to write and modern audiences wouldn't like the character so they "have" to change the character. A lot of us like Morrison's T-shirt and jeans Superman, but not as a replacement. He's a part of a story arc. If they go this route for Superman in Hollywood, I want them to commit to making that part of the character's development, not the end state for the character.
    If it's a one off prestige bait movie, I don't think it's that big of an issue to keep it at the initial Action power levels. If it becomes a series, and if it's successful it almost certainly will, I'd expect them to scale up as the series goes on. I'd be surprised if they don't at least hint at his expanded powerset even in the initial movie.

The fact that this mentions Dan Turpin will be like Jack Kirby makes me think this leak is a fake. They did that in Superman: TAS, so it sounds like something someone just included possibly thinking fans wouldn’t remember. Grain of salt and all.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Some quick thoughts about the rumors of the Coates script.

Conceptually, there's very little i dislike about what I'm reading here. Going back to the core roots of the character as a two fisted social crusader and having his powers mirror the early comics is something pretty bold for live action and is a take we haven't ever seen in live action. Having the Ultra humanite as the villain is also pretty great, especially that there seems to be no Zod or Luthor in sight. Basing Pa Kent on Jerry Siegel is also inspired and cuts to the characters secret origins and has new meaning to anyone who knows what tragedy inspired Siegel to think up a bulletproof man.

It will all come down to execution. I hope whomever becomes director is able to take these concepts and Coates script and zero in on the right feel and vibe for the material.

That all being said, i do hope that this is a one or two off like JOKER was and not going to be the actual replacement of Cavill and or a proper mainstream DCEU Superman. JOKER was a great movie but I wouldn't want that version to be the mainstream version just as I wouldn't want this to supplant a more traditional take. If they can't come to terms with Henry Cavill just recast or reboot with a recast. I hope that with the Discovery shake up the whole "let's get rid of Clark Kent and replace him with Kara " stuff that was supposed to be rolling out of Flash is undone.

Iwould not mind Kara being around but not to replace Kal-El. If they can't get Cavill to come back, just have Brandon Routh show up at the end of the Flash as the "new" Superman similar to how Keaton will apparently end up as the "new" Batman.
    You’re still holding out hope for Cavill’s return? Barring Zaslov or some other Discovery exec ordering WB to bring Cavill back there is zero chance he is coming back. If this is a success then they’ll use Crisis to fold it in to the mainline universe.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Well uh it looks like some other insiders are calling this fake

Also they “plan to move away from the current iteration” the hell does that mean? Are they talking about Cavill or Coates?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Thoughts:

- I know a lot of people will be happy with going "back to basics" and emphasizing the Champion of the Oppressed, but that honestly seems too fanservice-y to be true .

- I'm not surprised they're going to a Golden Age powerset. I mean, it can definitely work in context and execution but I doubt they (especially Coates) wants to write Superman at his most powerful.

- Not surprised that they want to explore race through Superman.

- I wonder why we've suddenly latched onto Asian Lois. Like, I get it, American Alien and diversity, but it seems very specific. Is it because of her black hair? Are there any Asian major military generals? Not that that has to matter in fiction. Although I guess the look for diversity is less from a character perspective but because of the movies focus.

- Ultra-Humanite not being an albino gorilla is the most disappointing thing.

- They're keeping Jimmy white and Perry black? Huh.

- A Siegel and Shuster tribute sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Sounds like a great take. My only notes would be to include x-ray & heat vision, but beyond that it's exactly what I hoped they'd start with. I hope they keep the t-shirt/jeans look and actually give Lois a significant role.
    With Coates writing, I think we should be more worried about Lois doing more than Superman.
    Not really sure where people are getting bent out of shape about the direction. Using Superman as an allegory for passing/race is pretty baked into the character. And Superman as an immigration allegory in the modern time would almost require someone non-white, so that's fine by me. Cast Rege-Jean Page to stick it to Johns for passing on him for Krypton.
    Cameron Cuffe was a solid Seg-El. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With Coates writing, I think we should be more worried about Lois doing more than Superman.
    Don't threaten me with a good time!

Kidding aside, I don't think that's a real threat even if these leaks do turn out to be accurate. I'd hope Coates would balance things out and have a good handle on Lois. I'm curious as to how they'd play Clark Kent here too, whether they are rivals or what.

Cameron Cuffe was a solid Seg-El. Just sayin'...
    Oh, that wasn't intended to be any slight on Cameron Cuffe. He was awesome in the role. He'd make a solid Superman as well.

Since Walsh is the only “insider” standing up for all this I guess I’ll share something he said that I didn’t see shared here:

Apparently he heard a rumor they could use Cavill for this

Now I thought that was complete bullshit so I didn’t even see it as worth sharing and it’s why I also disagreed with manofsteel about Cavill potentially returning. But if these other guys are right and the leaks Last Son posted are fake, then I guess I’ll share an idea that’s just hit me: what if they’re potentially going to do to Cavill what’s happening in the comics? Superman “dies” and gets shuffled off to his own world, perhaps they’re considering the possibility of doing that here? The Flash movie cuts Superman off from the main Earth and he’s in his own Pocket Dimension where they soft reboot Cavill and then fold him back in with Crisis?

I don’t think it’s likely, I still cannot see Cavill being used if WBD decides to go forward with Coates script, but I guess I’ll just share that.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well uh it looks like some other insiders are calling this fake

Also they “plan to move away from the current iteration” the hell does that mean? Are they talking about Cavill or Coates?
    KC Walsh was backing up the rumors earlier (this is why I posted them) before being unsure after dcfilmsinsidergal (should I know who she is?) called them nonsense.

It feels like everybody are hearing conflicting rumors about this project to even doubt themselves. lol.