Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    KC Walsh was backing up the rumors earlier (this is why I posted them) before being unsure after dcfilmsinsidergal (should I know who she is?) called them nonsense.

It feels like everybody are hearing conflicting rumors about this project to even doubt themselves. lol.
    Yeah I know. Her I know too, she never explicitly “leaks” anything but she teases and confirms/denies stuff and is always right from what I’ve seen. KC treats her as legit and she feeds him info too. If she says something is fake there’s a very good chance it is. Oh fuck it man I’m so tired of this bullshit.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Since Walsh is the only “insider” standing up for all this I guess I’ll share something he said that I didn’t see shared here:

Apparently he heard a rumor they could use Cavill for this

Now I thought that was complete bullshit so I didn’t even see it as worth sharing and it’s why I also disagreed with manofsteel about Cavill potentially returning. But if these other guys are right and the leaks Last Son posted are fake, then I guess I’ll share an idea that’s just hit me: what if they’re potentially going to do to Cavill what’s happening in the comics? Superman “dies” and gets shuffled off to his own world, perhaps they’re considering the possibility of doing that here? The Flash movie cuts Superman off from the main Earth and he’s in his own Pocket Dimension where they soft reboot Cavill and then fold him back in with Crisis?

I don’t think it’s likely, I still cannot see Cavill being used if WBD decides to go forward with Coates script, but I guess I’ll just share that.
    This is the kind of conflicting rumors that were also around Gunn's SS and Reeves's BM. The former was rumored to be an hard-reboot and even the producers described it as such. The latter was a Batfleck vs Deathstroke movie, Batfleck prequel, reboot, etc. They have many options and possible directions for these new movies, so everything you hear might be true at the early stages of development.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I know. Her I know too, she never explicitly “leaks” anything but she teases and confirms/denies stuff and is always right from what I’ve seen. KC treats her as legit and she feeds him info too. If she says something is fake there’s a very good chance it is. Oh fuck it man I’m so tired of this bullshit.
    Oh, ok.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 04-25-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Hard pass. Reboot or don't but this seems like a needless diversion.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

Making Lois an Asian just seems random. To me, she reads best as Latina. Imagine Ariana DeBose.

Lana Lang seems like the character who should be Asian.

I would have liked a movie set in the 1930s/1940s, paying homage to Siegel and Shuster. You could still have diversity in that world, without it seeming forced. Rita Hayworth was of Romani and Spanish heritage. Merle Oberon had a mix of Sinhalese, Maori and British in her family tree.

An African-American wouldn't be the editor of the Daily Planet in those days. And Perry White or George Taylor shouldn't really be the representative of diversity. He's the old school contrast to the young diverse characters. It makes more sense for him to represent the white, male authority. If the society is perfectly open and progressive, then where's the dramatic tension?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Don't threaten me with a good time!

Kidding aside, I don't think that's a real threat even if these leaks do turn out to be accurate. I'd hope Coates would balance things out and have a good handle on Lois. I'm curious as to how they'd play Clark Kent here too, whether they are rivals or what.
    I would hope as much as well, I just know with Coates' history of Superhero fiction that he tends to elevate the female characters in the narrative over the male lead. But maybe someone will give another go over on the script or he gets a co-writer or something that can make sure Supes is handled serviceable.
    Oh, that wasn't intended to be any slight on Cameron Cuffe. He was awesome in the role. He'd make a solid Superman as well.
    Same here .

Casting Lois as Asian bothers me because of Hollywood's history of insisting on pairing Asian females with Caucasian males. Blogger Phil Yu once posted a funny joke about what a momentous and historic occasion it was when Lucy Liu kissed an Asian dude on screen. That was back in 2008, and things have changed a helluva lot since then, but 15 years ago you had to think really, really hard of a time when an Asian-American woman kissed an honest-to-God Asian man on primetime network TV, and probably most people wouldn't be able to come up with such an instance.

Casting an Asian woman to play Lois should be considered a victory of sorts for multiculturalism. POC actors generally have a hard time getting big roles, and landing the Lois role for a movie would normally be good for representation. On the other hand, it feels hollow because of s**t like the Dragonball Evolution movie where the producers acknowledged the inherent Asian-ness of the Dragonball franchise, but absolutely chickened out of casting an Asian guy to play Goku. Like, it's OK if side characters Master Roshi, Goku's Grandpa, or Yamcha are Asian guys, but you can't have an Asian leading man kiss the Asian leading woman. You combine this with the so-called "Asian proximity to whiteness" and the oversexualization of Asian women in movies and TV, and casting Lois as Asian doesn't feel good unless, as Vordan pointed out, you also cast Superman as Asian (though I wouldn't do that unless it were something like the Kenan Kong version). Furthermore, since it was Max Landis' idea to make Lois Asian, I can't help but feel cynically about the idea and hope it vanishes like a fart in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Casting Lois as Asian bothers me because of Hollywood's history of insisting on pairing Asian females with Caucasian males.
    ...except for the fact that this Clark Kent won't be white.

..and also these rumors are probably false.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Saw the updates that the rumors are probably not valid. I'll just point out that even though it was Coates' proposal, the (likely false) rumors said Superman casting would "color blind" but the push for Lois was going to be Asian. For the reasons I posted above, I'll probably never warm up to the idea.

Saw the updates that the rumors are probably not valid. I'll just point out that even though it was Coates' proposal, the (likely false) rumors said Superman casting would "color blind" but the push for Lois was going to be Asian. For the reasons I posted above, I'll probably never warm up to the idea.
    Eh, I still think that Asian Lois or not it's still gonna be a black Clark. So don't see the need to worry about the white guy Asian girl thing happening here.

Lois being Asian should’ve tipped us off that it was likely bs, quite frankly I don’t see Lois not being made black as well, although I suppose they could keep her white. Jimmy is also 100% being racebent, no way are they keeping him white as funny as it would be.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Furthermore, since it was Max Landis' idea to make Lois Asian, I can't help but feel cynically about the idea and hope it vanishes like a fart in the wind.
    I've never listened to any of Landis' videos on Superman that I can recall, but was it Landis or was it Jae Lee that made Lois Asian in American Alien? I'm assuming Jae Lee designed her since he was the artist on the issue she first appeared in, and Francis Manapul utilized the design in the following issue. But it's not like her being Asian was ever a plot point or even mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I've never listened to any of Landis' videos on Superman that I can recall, but was it Landis or was it Jae Lee that made Lois Asian in American Alien? I'm assuming Jae Lee designed her since he was the artist on the issue she first appeared in, and Francis Manapul utilized the design in the following issue. But it's not like her being Asian was ever a plot point or even mentioned
    Thanks for calling out the correction/distinction.

Incidentally, I remember the Superman Homepage had an article back in 2004 or so on how Beyonce was considered for the Lois Lane role. I was against it then since I'm generally against racebending comic characters, but it's unlikely she would've been worse than the Boz.

Eh, I still think that Asian Lois or not it's still gonna be a black Clark. So don't see the need to worry about the white guy Asian girl thing happening here.
    Guess I should've clarified that Hollywood's general tendency was to favor casting white actors, so when it was time to pair an Asian woman with a man, it was almost always going to be a white guy. I have further feelings on the issue, but if I get too deep I'm probably going to say something that'll rub a lot of people the wrong way if explained poorly, so I'll ease off the gas pedal...
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 04-25-2022 at 02:16 PM.

BANNED

I think if this were an animated movie or comic miniseries, these ideas would be OK. I have some concerns that Hollywood is capitulating and saying modern-day Superman is just too hard or uninteresting to write and modern audiences wouldn't like the character so they "have" to change the character. A lot of us like Morrison's T-shirt and jeans Superman, but not as a replacement. He's a part of a story arc. If they go this route for Superman in Hollywood, I want them to commit to making that part of the character's development, not the end state for the character.
    WB has notoriously disliked Superman since the 70s. Kevin Smith talked at length about how much disdain there was for the character on the part of the execs when he was working on Superman Lives. More recently, an exec was quoted (haven't been able to hunt down the link yet) as saying that "Superman is a problem character." It's highly frustrating to those of us who love Superman because it should not be difficult at all to make a Superman film that will break records. The character is far more than just a big Boy Scout flying around and getting cats in trees. The science fiction elements alone have vast potential for action and adventure, which Zack Snyder interpreted as a homage to 9-11. Couple the potential of Superman's richness as a character (Clark, Superman, Kal-El) with a great script and casting and a villain that truly deserves the big screen treatment (Brainiac!) and you'd have a movie that would move people in the way The First Avenger and even The Avengers did. Spectacle with heart and humor and, God forbid, FUN. Add in a healthy dose of inspiration from the superhero known for doing the right thing even when it's the hardest thing to do and you have a huge hit.
    Last edited by Kirk Brent; 04-26-2022 at 05:10 PM.

We don't know that actually. Nothing is official and given the recent Discovery purchase they might even scrap this as well.