Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Put down another one for Calvin Ellis!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Black Panther wasn't exactly a Superman-level character before his movie, and the results speak for themselves.

But Marvel also had a strong shared universe that boosted all the IPs, and WB doesn't have that due to their own incompetence. Even without it, if they used Vixen or Black Lightning in a movie, it could still do very well.

Extraordinary Member

Black Superman and Latina Supergirl?

Cousins?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Black Panther wasn't exactly a Superman-level character before his movie, and the results speak for themselves.

But Marvel also had a strong shared universe that boosted all the IPs, and WB doesn't have that due to their own incompetence. Even without it, if they used Vixen or Black Lightning in a movie, it could still do very well.
    Yeah many of Marvel's heroes were unknown to the genral public, at this point they could make anyone a star off the MCU branding alone, which is basically what they are doing imo

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Steel never called himself Superman. He refused to do that and at one point refused to wear the logo out of respect of living up to that legacy.

Yes there is a Static movie in the works and at least one actor has said he is trying to for it Skylar Brooks (from Dark Minds movie).

They can't use that excuse.

Nubia has a top selling book and how much usage has SHE gotten in 45 years?
    Star Girl has a SHOW
    Naomi is getting a PILOT
    Yar Flores was in the running for a pilot before she got a book appearance
    Doom Patrol has a show
    Legend of Tomorrow has the Z list of DC in it.
    Vixen had a show
    They took a shot with a tv show starring STATIC after he was created 7 years prior. He got a show that lasted 4 years.

All they have done is taken RISKS.
    You’d think Black Panther would be proof that right now no character is “too risky” if done well, but if there’s one thing WB knows how to do it’s be complete goddamn idiots
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Did they learn NOTHING from Star Trek and Star Wars? Talk about failing up!
    Assassinate Putin!

BP definitely had the foundation of the MCU at that point to fall back on, but at the same time you ask 10 people on the street before that film who Black Panther was, I'd be confident in saying 8 would have no clue. They marketed it well, they advertised, and it became a sensation. WB could do the same with their library of black superheroes. Again I understand they wouldn't have the backing of a successful cinematic verse behind it to help, but in the end being part of the MCU wasn't what made Black Panther special to people.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-26-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I want a traditional Superman movie well done before we get to Val or Calvin. And you need Clark Kent for Val anyway.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    If the guy who ruined Star Wars is involved, I'm almost hoping they don't use Clark.
    I agree. However many would argue that Synder has already taken care of that
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Superman View Post
    Yeah many of Marvel's heroes were unknown to the genral public, at this point they could make anyone a star off the MCU branding alone, which is basically what they are doing imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    BP definitely had the foundation of the MCU at that point to fall back on, but at the same time you ask 10 people on the street before that film who Black Panther was, I'd be confident in saying 8 would have no clue. They marketed it well, they advertised, and it became a sensation. WB could do the same with their library of black superheroes. Again I understand they wouldn't have the backing of a successful cinematic verse behind it to help, but in the end being part of the MCU wasn't what made Black Panther special to people.
    What SK said. BP had the advantage of the MCU, but that isn't all he had going for him.

It's good that a Static movie is in the works and I imagine it will be received and do well if it is well made, without a big cinematic brand attached to it. Same with Blue Beetle. Vixen or Icon would be in the same league.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The race of the actor cast in the role doesn't bother me whatsoever.

The rumor that this will not be Clark Kent/Metropolis/Smallville/Daily Planet-centric movie, however, will definitely spark my ire.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I want a traditional Superman movie well done before we get to Val or Calvin. And you need Clark Kent for Val anyway.
    Clark is basically dead on the big screen for the foreseeable future. If this succeeds he may never get another shot at a big film. Of course I’m sure they’ll bring him back for an Injustice movie lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I still remember JJ's horrible pitch for the Superman movie he wanted to make. Having him involved in any way after reading that pile of garbage does not bode well at all.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Hey. Hi. What's up? Just popped in to say.....

*holds in giggles*

What if it's Jon?

Like, what if Flashpoint teases this Superman reboot with a Hispanic Kara and by proxy a Hispanic Clark? But then Lois is Black.

Thus you've just shamelessly ripped off Miles if you make Jon the Superman in question. The fact of the matter is, WB has asked 3 major Black famous people to play Clark Kent since 1978. Ali in 78, Will Smith for in the early 2000s, and MBJ recently. All said no. Smith famously said "you can't take Superman away from White folks", and MBJ said "I don't think I'd want to play Clark Kent. I think I'd play Calvin Ellis".

The thing is, Jordan's suggestion to play Ellis left Oprah (the one interviewing him) with a glazed over look in her eyes because she had no got damn idea who that was. I mean, who would? And how could you possibly pitch that to a studio? Had he said "I'd play Superman's son" she'd have gotten that even if she has no earthly idea who Jon Kent was. Moreover, Lois was almost played by Zoe Saldana in MOS, and the only reason she didn't was just because Adams won out. And based on how cool they were with switching Perry White, actors coming on don't seem to be as turned off by the potential backlash of changing Lois' race or the races of supporting characters.

So, Clark can be Hispanic but essentially White passing, or just White if they studio gets cold feet on that end (Kara's mom being Hispanic rather than her dad), and Jon would be biracial (piggybacking off the Momoa "hybrid in more ways than one deal") but primarily Black as far as the limited view of a studio is concerned.

Would explain why Jon is *still* being pushed in the comics as hard as he is (with little to no sign of Calvin or Val). 5G was rumored to be intended for adaptions to outside media, and I suspect that still holds true because they're holding onto Jace as Batman, Jon as Superman, and Yara as Wonder Woman for dear life. Yara even coming within spitting distance of a TV show a few months ago.

This would also work as the counter point to S&L.

All this to say "hey look Superman has a biracial son, and he's the new Superman" The Movie is a marketing lock over Val or Calvin.

Go on. Do it. Lie to me and say this doesn't make at least SOME sense

This is in part to troll, but you know good and damn well it makes some sense.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

If this movie is live-action, I wonder who they would cast to play Black Jor-El...Idris Elba?