Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

"We Were Eight Years In Power" is an unbelievable book and Ta-Nehisi Coates is a national treasure.
    Having said that, I am not sure what to think. I was following his Black Panther but I skipped Captain America.
    I hope it's Michael B. Jordan as Calvin Ellis and Henry Cavill as Clark Kent. I saw Man of Steel last night and that movie just gets better and better every year. I love the news!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Clark is basically dead on the big screen for the foreseeable future. If this succeeds he may never get another shot at a big film. Of course I’m sure they’ll bring him back for an Injustice movie lol.
    See that's one of the problems I have.

Thanks a lot Hack Snyder

I don't see Coates having much interest in writing a traditional Superman, let alone having much to say about Clark Kent. He would be more liable to write Superman as Lois Lane's sidekick than he would be to write Superman being Superman.

Heck, I wouldn't even expect a Coates Superman to be all that different from Cavill in execution.

Although whoever this Superman ends up being, they will probably be defined and driven mostly by the women in their life.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Hey. Hi. What's up? Just popped in to say.....

*holds in giggles*

What if it's Jon?

Like, what if Flashpoint teases this Superman reboot with a Hispanic Kara and by proxy a Hispanic Clark? But then Lois is Black.

Thus you've just shamelessly ripped off Miles if you make Jon the Superman in question. The fact of the matter is, WB has asked 3 major Black famous people to play Clark Kent since 1978. Ali in 78, Will Smith for in the early 2000s, and MBJ recently. All said no. Smith famously said "you can't take Superman away from White folks", and MBJ said "I don't think I'd want to play Clark Kent. I think I'd play Calvin Ellis".

The thing is, Jordan's suggestion to play Ellis left Oprah (the one interviewing him) with a glazed over look in her eyes because she had no got damn idea who that was. I mean, who would? And how could you possibly pitch that to a studio? Had he said "I'd play Superman's son" she'd have gotten that even if she has no earthly idea who Jon Kent was. Moreover, Lois was almost played by Zoe Saldana in MOS, and the only reason she didn't was just because Adams won out. And based on how cool they were with switching Perry White, actors coming on don't seem to be as turned off by the potential backlash of changing Lois' race or the races of supporting characters.

So, Clark can be Hispanic but essentially White passing, or just White if they studio gets cold feet on that end (Kara's mom being Hispanic rather than her dad), and Jon would be biracial (piggybacking off the Momoa "hybrid in more ways than one deal") but primarily Black as far as the limited view of a studio is concerned.

Would explain why Jon is *still* being pushed in the comics as hard as he is (with little to no sign of Calvin or Val). 5G was rumored to be intended for adaptions to outside media, and I suspect that still holds true because they're holding onto Jace as Batman, Jon as Superman, and Yara as Wonder Woman for dear life. Yara even coming within spitting distance of a TV show a few months ago.

This would also work as the counter point to S&L.

All this to say "hey look Superman has a biracial son, and he's the new Superman" The Movie is a marketing lock over Val or Calvin.

Go on. Do it. Lie to me and say this doesn't make at least SOME sense

This is in part to troll, but you know good and damn well it makes some sense.
    It's a pretty good partial troll job because it makes complete sense lol

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I see this as another shot across the bow of Cavill. Leaving the door open or his return but sending him the message that "even if you don't come back, we have a couple of replacements waiting in the wings". Don't make it Clark but let him be a replacement for Clark should Cavill not return. "Oh, this universe's Superman died, I guess I'll have to come over to his Earth and replace him."
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I see this as another shot across the bow of Cavill. Leaving the door open or his return but sending him the message that "even if you don't come back, we have a couple of replacements waiting in the wings". Don't make it Clark but let him be a replacement for Clark should Cavill not return. "Oh, this universe's Superman died, I guess I'll have to come over to his Earth and replace him."
    I feel like this new Superman will still be pretty similar to Cavill in approach with this creative team.

If I were Cavill at this point I’d just say “**** it” and ask Marvel if they need anyone to play Hyperion or Captain Britain.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Wait doesn't the article mention that Cavill might return? Wtf is even going on with Cavill?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's a pretty good partial troll job because it makes complete sense lol

I don't troll often. But when I do I want you to feel it in your very bones, and wring your hands in worry as each bit of info comes out.

Sure would be a strange coincidence if the writer taking over the Superman book that PKJ is leaving for just Action ended up being a Black writer, huh? Who was the primary focus of that book again? Oh right...Jon....

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Cavill isn't the issue. He's stated emphatically he's more than willing to reprise his role as Superman but not in a glorified cameo role. WB has made it clear that they will not make a sequel to Man of Steel especially with Cavill as the star, reportedly because they don't view him as a "leading actor" in film.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Cavill isn't the issue. He's stated emphatically he's more than willing to reprise his role as Superman but not in a glorified cameo role. WB has made it clear that they will not make a sequel to Man of Steel especially with Cavill as the star, reportedly because they don't view him as a "leading actor" in film.
    TBH then I don't blame Cavill for not wanting to play ball. F*ck WB and their retarded decisions. Seriously they can't do this but they give Harley Quinn another movie???

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This is in part to troll, but you know good and damn well it makes some sense.
    ...maybe? I mean they are pushing Jon pretty fiercely on the comic side instead of putting out a Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod book. They could racebend Jon but they’d have to racebend Lois or Clark too. Dispenser theorized it would be Clark or Jon still but I just don’t see them doing a racebent Clark or Jon over Calvin/Val.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My understanding was that he was asking for too much money and wanted a role in script writing. I'll be the first to admit I haven't been following the Snyder/WB drama but reading between the lines, it sounds like they want to "move on" from him. Which might mean replacing Cavill because he's not who they would have hired. Given that Snyder hired him in the first place. Don't know the whole backstory.
    Assassinate Putin!

Man this a far bigger escalation than a shot across the bow lol. This is WB telling Cavill “You should’ve taken the deal b**** now you get nothing”. Cavill and Affleck are both done after the Snyder Cut with Flashpoint just allowing Affleck a more dignified exit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see Coates having much interest in writing a traditional Superman, let alone having much to say about Clark Kent. He would be more liable to write Superman as Lois Lane's sidekick than he would be to write Superman being Superman.

Heck, I wouldn't even expect a Coates Superman to be all that different from Cavill in execution.

Although whoever this Superman ends up being, they will probably be defined and driven mostly by the women in their life.
    Yeah the irony is that Coates is as deconstructionist as they come. No way is he doing a traditional take which could mean this falls flat on its face. If he does to Superman what he did to BP there’s going to be massive backlash. Superman turning a blind eye to rape camps is going to cause a massive uproar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    See that's one of the problems I have.

Thanks a lot Hack Snyder
    His legacy will be killing Superman on screen and off.
    I have no clue what’s going on behind the scenes but Cavill apparently wants more money and more creative control in addition to not being reduced to cameo’d.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Looking at his last couple performances, I can't really blame them. But in his defense, I think he just acted how the character was written which....his hands were kinda tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah the irony is that Coates is as deconstructionist as they come. No way is he doing a traditional take which could mean this falls flat on its face. If he does to Superman what he did to BP there’s going to be massive backlash. Superman turning a blind eye to rape camps is going to cause a massive uproar.
    ...wait wha??
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 02-26-2021 at 01:29 PM.