Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    That wasn't the argument being made. So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
    I'll put it to you this way.

Hollywood is a very risk-averse town. Superman has been in our collective consciousness for over eighty years.

The Black Panther phenomenon has been a drop in the bucket compared to the Superman phenomenon.

So comes: Black Superman movie.

And if successful, one should expect other black superhero films to come down the pipeline.
    Last edited by Common Writer; 03-05-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    If there is a black Superman, do you suppose Black Panther might have had something to do with it, and that black Superman might move the target even closer?
    Yes and no.

What we are talking about is the classic-if you SUPPORT this, it MAY get you THAT concept.

Why should I have to support Black Panther for Dc to try a black lead movie?

Excluding Black Lightning-who else has ANYTHING close to what Panther has? Panther has over 190 comics to get material from. A black Superman has to be used because DC choose NOT to invest in black characters?

What if that Black Panther movie was a failure? Why should that be used as a weapon to say NO to Cyborg or Michael Holt or Vixen? Whose budgets (maybe not Cyborg) would be lower than Panthers?

What about Blade who had 3 movies and 2 tv shows? You already had a successful black hero movie.

We had 4 years of Static Shock. We are now 15 years later and no other black DC/Marvel hero got a cartoon series.

Storm can't SNIFF a solo or mini (again) and some folks will scream black female lead books DO NOT SELL OR LAST BEYOND ISSUE 6.

Princeless has 10 volumes., Moon Girl has 9 volumes. Goldie Vance has 5 with 2 novels. The top selling book for teens is Nubia's the Real One. Riri has almost 30 solo issues. Far Sector is doing well. Aliens minis at Dark Horse had a black female lead. Shuri has over 30 solo issues and 3-4 novels.

When we have success there is always an EXCUSE to not try.

When you allow OTHERS to tell you what to do or WHEN to do you set yourself up for failure.

DC wants a black superman.... You want him NOW AFTER

Black Panther
    Miles Morales
    Luke Cage
    Falcon
    have shown up
    with Blade and War Machine right behind them.
    Oh lets not forget Static (who DC does not own), Kwanza's Black, Goldie Vance, Millar's Prodigy at Netflix, Image's Bitter Root and Spawn. That is who we KNOW of.

DC wants a black Superman-you make him BEFORE your competition tries anything.

What makes you convinced that black Superman will automatically mean heavy handed activism?
    A writer with a background of political activism; I have not read his recent comic industry entries with Captain America or Black Panther but so far I already heard that he had done both characters a disservice. And the heavy rumor pandering (that is if it has not been confirmed by now) of a black Superman itself in context of the current climate plus lots of fans still wanting Cavill given a fair chance which, so far, he did not had. Excluding the bits in theatrical Justice League in which he was finally allowed to show a few more facets which did not helped much 'cause several other unpopular choices and cuts on the movie. If we had a stable DCEU by now I actually would embrace the announcement of a Ellis or Val-Zod movie; even bemoaned back than that they missed the served on a silver platter opportunity of a STEEL movie out of the events in BvS. But we don't. These incompetent buffoons had not even be able to do a Cyborg movie. And now they want to make a Superman reboot with a black Superman? They don't give a crap about black superheroes; they just want to fling poo. And if its that apparent that they don't give a crap; why should I about what they say they want to do given their embarrassing track-record of failures in that regard?

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    Has it ever occurred to you that a Black Superman movie could open up the door for other black superhero movies?
    Maybe done right; but they already failed in the foundation.
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 03-05-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Isn't this the origin of BP's adopted older brother Hunter? That isn't a good example because xenophobic Wakandans viewed him with fear and suspicion.
    Once again it is fiction, my only purpose in giving an example is to show how completely out-of-place things could be made to fit in. With fiction, I can control the Wakandans' hate enough the allow the scenario to happen. I can do another one, the King finds a girl(white), She is raised as the queen servant, The King's son and sole heir fall in love with her and they run away. Long story short she has a kid who is a blood heir.

My only point was I can create a rational reason to create a scenario where a white person can play Black panther. In a world where they are plenty of representation, I would not mind seeing a take like that and a person out of place succeeding is an interesting story. Fiction gives you some level of creative license besides they are real stories of an adopted slave become a Sultan or a certain emperor becoming the ruler of Rome without being the blood heir. Used sparingly a little liberal creative license is fine
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-05-2021 at 11:50 PM.

What do you think the chances are that this new Superman movie is set in the reality where the new Batman movie takes place?

I mean, The Batman seems to be pretty clearly its own universe. But what if that acts as a launching pad for new crossover material without the baggage of the SnyderVerse. It made sound weird, but I think DC has every intention of winding down the original SnyderVerse after the Aquaman and Wonder Woman sequels. I think they are still unclear about the story moving forward with the Flash. If it works, great--another standalone franchise. If not, no worries--they'll reboot it in the new universe.

Just something I thought about. What do you all think?
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    What do you think the chances are that this new Superman movie is set in the reality where the new Batman movie takes place?

I mean, The Batman seems to be pretty clearly its own universe. But what if that acts as a launching pad for new crossover material without the baggage of the SnyderVerse. It made sound weird, but I think DC has every intention of winding down the original SnyderVerse after the Aquaman and Wonder Woman sequels. I think they are still unclear about the story moving forward with the Flash. If it works, great--another standalone franchise. If not, no worries--they'll reboot it in the new universe.

Just because I don't want them to try and build a second cinematic universe onto this thing - God I pray not!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post

Highly doubt it. Even tho the casual viewer probably doesn't know the difference between the Snyderverse and this new Bats movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Highly doubt it. Even tho the casual viewer probably doesn't know the difference between the Snyderverse and this new Bats movie.
    There's no difference to know about yet. There's a guy in a Batman suit that looks a lot like that awful Snyder version that doesn't even include a bat emblem on his chest, just some word fat pointy and arbitrary shape. Otherwise it's a guy dressed in black, in a black background, lit in black.

Extraordinary Member

There's no difference to know about yet. There's a guy in a Batman suit that looks a lot like that awful Snyder version that doesn't even include a bat emblem on his chest, just some word fat pointy and arbitrary shape. Otherwise it's a guy dressed in black, in a black background, lit in black.
    Well it's not Batfleck and a different Commish Gordon so that's 2 differences. Snyder Bats is the best btw...

Um...no? The costumes are clearly different (Affleck's isn't even that black, he's got the gray/dark gray body suit), the actors have very different builds (Affleck is huge compared to Pattinson), their ages are different, their Batmobiles are different.

You can say that you dislike both - that is fair. You can say that they both have a similar overly dark/grim/violent tone you don't care for, that's also fair. But you really can't say that they look a lot alike. They're visually very, very different Batmen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Um...no? The costumes are clearly different (Affleck's isn't even that black, he's got the gray/dark gray body suit), the actors have very different builds (Affleck is huge compared to Pattinson), their ages are different, their Batmobiles are different.

You can say that you dislike both - that is fair. You can say that they both have a similar overly dark/grim/violent tone you don't care for, that's also fair. But you really can't say that they look a lot alike. They're visually very, very different Batmen.
    All I'm saying is, in response to the previous post, you'd have a hard time convincing the average movie goer of that. By your definition, Nolan Batman doesn't look the same from one movie to the next either, but I think everyone assumed they were the same guy. Given the Whedon cut comment about wind up penguins, was the average movie goer supposed to assume this was Burton Batman?

Extraordinary Member

All I'm saying is, in response to the previous post, you'd have a hard time convincing the average movie goer of that. By your definition, Nolan Batman doesn't look the same from one movie to the next either, but I think everyone assumed they were the same guy. Given the Whedon cut comment about wind up penguins, was the average movie goer supposed to assume this was Burton Batman?
    We didn't assume it was the same guy in the Nolan movies. It was the same guy lol.

Um...the Nolan Batman was the same guy though. Same actor, TDK started with the same batsuit then moved onto the new one, same continuity, same director, same visual cues and aesthetics. I really don't get this part of your argument? Of course everyone assumed they were the same guy, for the reasons that they did look a like, which is the opposite of the Batfleck/Battinson situation).

Why would anyone assume that from a one off funny line? That's not a good reason...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Um...the Nolan Batman was the same guy though. Same actor, TDK started with the same batsuit then moved onto the new one, same continuity, same director, same visual cues and aesthetics. I really don't get this part of your argument? Of course everyone assumed they were the same guy, for the reasons that they did look a like, which is the opposite of the Batfleck/Battinson situation).

Why would anyone assume that from a one off funny line? That's not a good reason...
    I suppose the argument is Nolan Batman 1 and 2 looked a lot different than these latest two. It really doesn't matter if there's the same actor under the suit playing two different versions of the character, or two actors playing the same version. Hollywood does it all the time.

I suppose the argument is Nolan Batman 1 and 2 looked a lot different than these latest two. It really doesn't matter if there's the same actor under the suit playing two different versions of the character, or two actors playing the same version. Hollywood does it all the time.
    But with Nolan/Bale, it was the same actor playing the same version of the character, not different versions. Only the suits were different. And even on that account, I disagree that they "looked a lot different than these latest two" - personally I think Batfleck's more The Dark Knight Returns-inspired suit vs The Batman one are much more different from another, although Batman Begins suit was still substantially different from The Dark Knight suits, which may be why the Begins suit was still used for the intro of The Dark Knight to help establish yes this is the same Batman.

If anything I'd argue The Batman suit looks more similar to The Dark Knight suit than it does the Snyderverse suit.