Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I live 60 miles from where Kirk was hanging off that cliff. That ain't appearing anywhere in Iowa without a major geologic event over thousands of years.
    Well it is set thousands of years in the future right?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Well it is set thousands of years in the future right?
    Lol. No. Couple of hundred.

Lol. No. Couple of hundred.
    Really? Go figure I don't know much about startrack out side of the movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So, I am the only one who liked the Abrams' Star Treks?

I liked the first 2.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I liked the first 2.
    I thought the third was good enough, but it just felt like a long episode.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I thought the third was good enough, but it just felt like a long episode.
    Yeah it was kinda drawn out. Aside from that I like J.J as a director he's good at the action epic thing.

To be honest, I don't see this team delivering something much different from Cavill's Superman.

Is a black Superman any more different than a nebishy Jewish Barry Allen who isn't a tall blonde Police Scientist?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Is a black Superman any more different than a nebishy Jewish Barry Allen who isn't a tall blonde Police Scientist?
    I guess it depends on the kind of character they are.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    If the thing that makes you skip this new Superman is that it might, potentially, POSSIBLY, theoretically star a black man playing the role of a fucking alien from outer space, there's the door lol. Such vitriol when we know nothing and there isn't any confirmation. But all y'all crying know you're going to watch it anyway, even if just to criticize. So...enjoy your negativity and don't forget, we have plenty of movies with the alabaster faced "alien" and many shows and the new Superman and Lois AND the Snydercut which will undoubtedly still have lily white faced resurrected Supes completely trounce the other League members. Y'all want that white man power fantasy, you're still getting it. Just because this one particular project THAT MAY NOT EVEN ACTUALLY HAVE A BLACK SUPERMAN exists doesn't mean it's erasing your beloved white Superman.
    President Superman was cool in the comics. But people are getting over knee-jerk gender bending, gender neutral and/or swapping out a characters race etc. It's become heavy handed and stopped being novel years ago.

Now, if this is indeed for Calvin Ellis? Count me in. But if it is just Clark Kent being played by a POC? That would stink. So I expect the former rather than the latter on this.

Oh, Abrams is involved is he? Expect a beat for beat rip off of Superman 1978. Dude hasnt got a original idea in his head.

BANNED

Depends on whether Black Superman is a great character like Jewish Barry Allen, or a horrible character like Cavill Superman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I liked the first 2.
    The first one was decent. All he did was shift Star Trek so that it mirrored Star Wars as a space fantasy rather than the thoughtful thinking man's sci-fi it was (the charisma and chemistry of the cast helped sell it though).

But Into Darkness? Absolute ****. Just a rip off of a film that was a masterpiece the first time around. It was also incredibly lazy. Then Abrams pulled the same stunt with his Star Wars films that were just rip offs.

Dude hasnt got a original idea in his head. Is he a good director? Yes, he is. But he can't write to save himself and just copies other people's work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Superheroes can be anyone. Gender, race, sexual orientation no longer mean anything. There is no such thing as Canon in comics. Next up should be a gay Batman and Robin film.
    In elseworlds, yes. But some characters you just can't swap out. Would Black Panther work if they swapped the Africa stuff out for generic white guys? Absolutely not. Unless there is wriggle room, characters need to be respected and portrayed as intended. Ben Grimm always needs to have a Jewish background. Likewise Marc Spector. Luke Cage always needs to be african-american.

And a gay Batman and Robin film would just be a gimmick.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Now, if this is indeed for Calvin Ellis? Count me in. But if it is just Clark Kent being played by a POC? That would stink. So I expect the former rather than the latter on this.
    Let me quote this gentlemen here:

Depends on whether Black Superman is a great character like Jewish Barry Allen, or a horrible character like Cavill Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Oh, Abrams is involved is he? Expect a beat for beat rip off of Superman 1978. Dude hasnt got a original idea in his head.
    I would agree with you if J.J was directing this movie but he’s not, and likely will find another filmmaker to bring this vision of Superman to life and something tells me if he’s getting this writer who isn’t even a Superman fan, that you would never, ever guess in a million years he would be writing this film - that alone tells me this will be as far from a Donner homage as possible. J.J. comments on the news is rather telling. Here’s what he said about the project.

“There is a new, powerful and moving Superman story yet to be told. . “We couldn’t be more thrilled to be working with the brilliant Mr. Coates to help bring that story to the big screen, and we’re beyond thankful to the team at Warner Bros. for the opportunity.”
    From the sound of it this seems like this will be a radically different take on The Last Son Of Krypton. The likes of which we’ve never seen before. I’m more curious about it than excited for now. I will only psyched for this movie when they get a director that excites me.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-26-2021 at 10:08 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

So, I am the only one who liked the Abrams' Star Treks?
    I thought the first one was pretty good. The second one was a terrible quasi-remake of "TWoK" and the third was a decent, but stretched out, TV episode.