Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

Lololol......and u actually think a white actor can be Black panther, king royality of a black African nation. This is like casting Voila Davis to play Queen Elizabeth. ROFL!!!!
    elon musk will take on the mantle of black panther since hes already in the MCU

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Was it really that hard to just green light an Icon movie? Especially when MBJ is producing a Static movie?
    MBJ is terrible casting to play Icon..... Dennis Haybert would be better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    Why? And who decides where the line has to be drawn?

I don't think anyone is claiming that the problem is with Superman's race (or what he comes across as anyways). Whatever happened with Cavill's Superman is WB's fault - with their constant meddling and all.

WB is doing this is to capture the BP market - also a clean slate (and remove the baggage associated with Cavill's Superman). For better or worse, they are simply going after the money (which is normal for studios anyways).

Keep in mind, Clark is not actually Caucasian. He's an Alien, so his skin color could be whatever an author wants it to be. No one is saying anything about race bending actual Caucasian characters (like say Bruce Wayne). Same with Cyborg - because he's actually a Black American.

Take Martian Manhunter for instance. He's an Alien as well (though unlike Clark, he has freedom to change his appearance and skin color at will). In either case, character's race isn't important, you can still capture the character's traits while changing their race.
    Original Superman Clark Kent is an alien,.... Yes.... A very caucasian-looking alien as it was shown on his planet that there were VERY earth- human looking in appearance without alien looking deformities.

There are also black and other earth race looking kryptonians.

Calvin Ellis is a PERFECT example.....why not use him instead?!?

MBJ is terrible casting to play Icon..... Dennis Haybert would be better.
    Maybe..... 20years ago. Even then I don't know if he's a star who can carry a film. MBJ a much better actor. He's a little shorter then what's ideal but if he gets in Killmonger Shape he can make it work. Trevante Rhodes is also a gooe choice.

Original Superman Clark Kent is an alien,.... Yes.... A very caucasian-looking alien as it was shown on his planet that there were VERY earth- human looking in appearance without alien looking deformities.

There are also black and other earth race looking kryptonians.

Calvin Ellis is a PERFECT example.....why not use him instead?!?
    Who says they aren't using Calvin or Val-Zod? Calvin makes the most sense.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The only problem with making him Calvin and not Clark is the wider audience doesn't know who Clavin is. Will they think that WB played a trick on them, calling this guy Superman who isn't the character they know from the other movies, TV and the comics they read as kids?
    The "wider audience" didn't know who black panther was either or Aquaman..... Both movies still made over $1bn.

EDIT:

Additionally, both BP and Aquaman did not have the platform of an insanely popular mantle or brand-name to carry and propagate their success like Calvin Ellis has with "SUPERMAN" .....Calvin Ellis situation is EXACTLY like Miles Morales. Both being alternate universe characters on an insanely hyper-popular brand-name/mantle.

If Morales can have the current level of success as a black spdierman, same can be done with Ellis as a black superman.
    Last edited by Besouro; 03-01-2021 at 03:39 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Who says they aren't using Calvin or Val-Zod? Calvin makes the most sense.
    Agreed and co-signed. That's exactly exactly what I support but there are folks in here pushing for race-swap of Clark Kent which would be nonsensical in my opinion.

Agreed and co-signed. That's exactly exactly what I support but there are folks in here pushing for race-swap of Clark Kent which would be nonsensical in my opinion.
    Yea I don't see the point in making him Clark. Superman is whats gonna bring the eyes. Nobody's who was gonna watch it is gonna change they're mind because he's isn't Clark Kent. I can respect the people saying don't make Clark Black,just use Calvin or Val-Zod. Because it just makes sense. Now making Icon instead doesn't. Because the Superman title is what's got name recognition. Also everything interesting you can do with a Black Superman. Issues you can tackle and such. You can do with Calvin Ellis no problem. Also you have way more creative freedom since 99.9% of people don't know Calvin Story. You can do something new or just ape Clark's story with a few tweaks. While I'm not gonna have a nervous breakdown if they make Clark Black like some people. I just think Calvin makes more sense.

If I'm being 100% honest I love Steel. Wish they would have gave Canvill a good sequel. Even soft reboot if they wanted and then brought Steel in. Shaq movie is great for a movie so bad it's fun. But that's not Steel. I'd love to see a more accurate version of the character. Plus you get Superman connection while introducing a Ironman esque character.

Yea I don't see the point in making him Clark. Superman is whats gonna bring the eyes. Nobody's who was gonna watch it is gonna change they're mind because he's isn't Clark Kent. I can respect the people saying don't make Clark Black,just use Calvin or Val-Zod. Because it just makes sense. Now making Icon instead doesn't. Because the Superman title is what's got name recognition. Also everything interesting you can do with a Black Superman. Issues you can tackle and such. You can do with Calvin Ellis no problem. Also you have way more creative freedom since 99.9% of people don't know Calvin Story. You can do something new or just ape Clark's story with a few tweaks. While I'm not gonna have a nervous breakdown if they make Clark Black like some people. I just think Calvin makes more sense.

If I'm being 100% honest I love Steel. Wish they would have gave Canvill a good sequel. Even soft reboot if they wanted and then brought Steel in. Shaq movie is great for a movie so bad it's fun. But that's not Steel. I'd love to see a more accurate version of the character. Plus you get Superman connection while introducing a Ironman esque character.
    Being Clark lets you tell a familiar story and claim the one true superman title, Yes they will still be people who wont see him as Clark or their Superman but general it works I haven't seen anyone go Aquaman isn't my Aquaman as example. There is a reason to make him Clark but I am not saying it is the best idea.

The Icon argument is the Captain Marvel or Black Panther argument which is don't worry about how big it is in the comic world, In the movie world once you can tell a good story it will shine. Icon is about creating a new IP while giving a superman style character a shot.

Again my personal choice is for character like Icon to get a chance if we are talking superman like characters, Long term it is better for DC imo. Both Black Clark Kent and Val Zod/Ellis have an issue which is limited existence while the "real" superman is around. While Icon can run around with Superman existing and not step on his toes because they are differences.

Extraordinary Member

Any Icon movie is really going to be a POV Rocket movie anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i doubt there'll be a problem with interracial adoption or relationships really

A-Ha, and this is were more controversial issues will arise because I see some in the black community who will fairly ask, why they did not just make Lois lane black and must all black men be with a white woman to appeal to a bigger audience, I have seen this issue before with Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts and they were...are still big stars.

iirc the storm family was black in that and sue was a white adoption
    And this is what I am saying, the studio should have made both sue and johnny black in Fantastic 4 but this studio are scared that if there are too many black characters, it will easily be seen as a black movie and they don't want that.

Here is my take, if you want to really do a black superman, you have to do it all the way, not one leg in the door , and the other leg out.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-01-2021 at 08:36 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

14 pages of fun.

This is gonna be funny since JJ Abrams is a 50/50 chance of being good and Coates is a political activist who can barely write a superhero comic but we have him writing comic book movies now.

As long as they don't rehash Clark Kent's story, it should be good. They should use Lor-Zod's (from Gods and Monsters) a little.
    "Cable was right!"

While I really do want a proper traditional Superman. Snyders version just wasn't for me. So yea I wish we got another Superman Classic first. But there are so many more issues you can tackle with a Black Superman. So I'm really conflicted on this. Also funny seeing people be shitty about Coates calling him a hack cause they don't like what he did with Black Panther. Why they seem to think writing comics made him famous is beyond me. Him writing Black Panther was headline news because he had already blown up from his work. Anyway alot of crazy dynamics and issues you can tackle with a Black Superman. I would have saved it till after a well received Superman franchise was up and running.

You want to bring the toxic out of people announce a black version of a beloved character. Guessing it's half Snydercut people who mad his vision ain't going anywhere post Snydercut. And people who hate race bending. You know the people who cried about Fin being a balck storm trooper or Michale B Jordan playing Johnny Storm. Also might not even be racebending since sounds like he might be Calvin Elllis or Val-Zod
    I'm just wondering to myself if Abrams and Coates can deliver something that's not Snyder-esque.

I know Coates has made a name for himself with his articles and writing, but his Superhero fiction seems much more mixed in terms of reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Being Clark lets you tell a familiar story and claim the one true superman title, Yes they will still be people who wont see him as Clark or their Superman but general it works I haven't seen anyone go Aquaman isn't my Aquaman as example. There is a reason to make him Clark but I am not saying it is the best idea.

The Icon argument is the Captain Marvel or Black Panther argument which is don't worry about how big it is in the comic world, In the movie world once you can tell a good story it will shine. Icon is about creating a new IP while giving a superman style character a shot.

Again my personal choice is for character like Icon to get a chance if we are talking superman like characters, Long term it is better for DC imo. Both Black Clark Kent and Val Zod/Ellis have an issue which is limited existence while the "real" superman is around. While Icon can run around with Superman existing and not step on his toes because they are differences.
    Using Clark gets you Lois Lane, which honestly seems like the character Coates would rather write about than Superman.

If WB really understood why Black Panther was so huge, they would easily capitalize on the Milestone characters, as opposed to (presumably) "race swap" Superman. Static, Icon/Rocket and Hardware could all be HUGE with the black community and set them apart from Marvel's comic universe. Unfortunately, they clearly do not understand why BP made over $1 billion, so here we are.

Fantastic Member

That is the same Troy tv series that got bombarded for abuse of historical accuracy of characters .....it's like having a Chinese actor play Mandela.

Zeus and Greco-Romanians were white Caucasian people. There were actual REAL black Greco-Romans...why not use and develop them instead?!?

Just look at American Gods...... Anansi is played by a Blackman, British god, Russian god, Nordic gods played by whites, a Djinn played by an Arab, Indian god played by an Indian woman.....as it should be and it's marvellous.

Imagine that brilliantly legendary scene of Anansi in the slave ship talking to the enslaved blacks.... U think it was have been great or even made any luck of sense with a white actor as Anansi?!?

Lololol......and u actually think a white actor can be Black panther, king royality of a black African nation. This is like casting Voila Davis to play Queen Elizabeth. ROFL!!!!
    To be fair the white showrunners removed Anansi because Orlando jones who had written the dialogue for the character had gotten "to militant" including the slave ship scene...