Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

HMMMM....Let me guess?

Another JJ Abrams mystery box movie that will go nowhere and would be all style no substance?

First Paramount, then Disney, now WB. What is it about JJ that this studios like so much, I think of him as a kind of a shallow director who just likes to attach himself to big franchises because it makes him look cool.

Let's forget he ran star wars and star trek to the ground

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    We have other Superman from other multi-verses who were black and not Clark Kent.

Maybe it's Calvin Ellis?

Superman is an alien and being a white person isn't essential to the character. However, an alien that looked like a black kid that grew up in Smallville Kansas, would have significantly different experience than a white kid who grew up there.
    The rumor I've read is that this will not be associated with any known version of the character but rather a newly created character that's named SUPERMAN.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    WB/DC wouldn't necessarily handle this the same way as Into the Spider-Verse and its success have been handled with Peter and Miles. Marvel and Disney love Peter and will never move away from him and are capable of finding ways to capitalize on both him and Miles to the benefit of many different fans. Everyone's happy.

WB just do not seem have that kind of "relationship" with Clark as of late. The only character they really treat that way is Batman currently. if they would find a way to still make money off the Superman brand but get rid of the character himself (even if by gradually phasing him out), the concern is they might actually attempt to take it.
    I’ve read rumors that the company wants to make Tyler Hoeclin the prime Clark for the DC Multiverse and they want to phase Cavil. We’ll see how true those rumors are.

Yes, I would feel terrible for the crap the actor would face. Even if I'd be pissed at a Calvin Ellis or Val Zod movie after wanting Clark, there is never any need to get that pissed or **** on the actor. For any reason, let alone a terrible one like that.

With the way things are though, I imagine certain groups would crap on a Calvin or Val-Zod actor even if Clark was also in the movie.
    Maybe but it wouldn’t be anywhere near the same level of vitriol as if you cast a black actor to only play Clark.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The rumor I've read is that this will not be associated with any known version of the character but rather a newly created character that's named SUPERMAN.
    Source for this?

Not that I don't find it easy to believe that WB wouldn't even use the alternate black Supermen they already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Maybe but it wouldn’t be anywhere near the same level of vitriol as if you cast a black actor to only play Clark.
    Yeah, probably not wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    If the thing that makes you skip this new Superman is that it might, potentially, POSSIBLY, theoretically star a black man playing the role of a fucking alien from outer space, there's the door lol. Such vitriol when we know nothing and there isn't any confirmation. But all y'all crying know you're going to watch it anyway, even if just to criticize. So...enjoy your negativity and don't forget, we have plenty of movies with the alabaster faced "alien" and many shows and the new Superman and Lois AND the Snydercut which will undoubtedly still have lily white faced resurrected Supes completely trounce the other League members. Y'all want that white man power fantasy, you're still getting it. Just because this one particular project THAT MAY NOT EVEN ACTUALLY HAVE A BLACK SUPERMAN exists doesn't mean it's erasing your beloved white Superman.
    Because comics is a visual medium, people tend to want movies about their favorite comic characters to star people who look somewhat like their favorite comic book characters. If DC did a spinoff with a black Superman (ex: Calvin Ellis) I think people would be happier than with WB calling it "reboot."

Not that I don't find it easy to believe that WB wouldn't even use the alternate black Supermen they already have.
    They may not want the baggage of a "super president" regardless of race. TBH, it does kind of negate the "everyman in his secret ID" appeal of the character.

I been a superhero and comic book fan for a large majority of my life. I am also black and I never really cared about the race of the heroes I really liked or admire Spider Man is the main one I gravitated to in my early years. Then as I got older, I saw more heroes that looked like me and thought it was very cool ( Blade, Static Shock, Luke Cage, Black Panther etc).

It's always disheartening when SOME fellow comic book fans take issue with minority characters or even just multiverse/ alternate characters of very popular characters. Like when Miles Morales was first introduced in 2011, as a Spider Man fan and being African American I was stoked. Sure, I still love Peter and he would always be the OG, but I didn't see the harm in an multiverse spider man that was non white. As long as the OG characters are in the mainline what is the harm is my question. Spider man's race never plays a role into who he is, he literally could be anyone under the mask. Hell, there is even a moment in the comics from a few years ago where Peter/ Spider Man says this to some racist thugs.

Anyway, I do like Super Man and I think Henry Cavill SHOULD stay on as the main Super Man in DC cinematic universe. I don't see the harm in introducing elseworlds stories in the DC universe like Joker and the upcoming Matt Reeves Batman film that can feature different takes on iconic characters. So I would be down for a Elseworlds Superman movie with a black Superman.

This isn't about race to me. I want Superman to look like Superman. I don't want a black Superman anymore than i want a midget Superman, an incredibly fat Superman, or a red haired Superman with a prosthetic hand and a glass eye.

Mighty Member

Why not give Icon a chance instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Because comics is a visual medium, people tend to want movies about their favorite comic characters to star people who look somewhat like their favorite comic book characters. If DC did a spinoff with a black Superman (ex: Calvin Ellis) I think people would be happier than with WB calling it "reboot."
    I have had MANY debates over the last few years with folks who use the argument that they want the characters "to look comic book accurate". But what I found is that they mean is leave white heroes white and that's it. But they don't mind side characters or villains being black or people of color. As long as the hero remains white they are fine. Because to them and I quote " no one really cares about the side characters or villains". If Superman is white and say Lex Luthor is black there wouldn't be nearly the same kind of outrage from internet fans who are mad about there maybe being a Black super man in a live action movie.

To me that is hypocritical. If you are a comic book purist, then you would want ALL the characters to be comic book accurate not just the white main hero. Granted this doesn't apply to everyone and not all fans are like this. But the ones that are like this, I find it to be pretty lame and kind of insulting.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 02-26-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    This isn't about race to me. I want Superman to look like Superman. I don't want a black Superman anymore than i want a midget Superman, an incredibly fat Superman, or a red haired Superman with a prosthetic hand and a glass eye.
    Not going to call you a racist or anything but I implore you to think more deeply about the post you just made. You want Superman to “look” like Superman...okay. What does that really mean intrinsically? Mixed race dark haired, Jason Momoa didn’t “look” like the blonde hair blue eyed Aquaman but Jason was able to in my(and many others) opinion capture the essence of the character from the comics and looked good in the costume. Now I understand you want to characters to resemble the comics, but with a lot of other characters race is terribly irrelevant. You can never convince me that Superman has to be played by a white guy anymore than you can convince me to that James Bond has to be played by one. Micheal Keaton is white but he still didn’t look like how Bruce Wayne was depicted in the comics up until that point either outside having blue eyes, but he’s still widely beloved in the role even more than people who look more like Batman from the comics like Ben Affleck or George Clooney. What outside the traditional physical appearance of the character is inherently Caucasian? Is looking like the character always just automatically mean just being the same race as the character? While a POC Superman would be a departure from what we’re used to, I don’t see how it would be this sacrilegious betrayal of character if they opted to reinvent the character racially. For myself, in order for someone to “look” like Superman they have a buff build, tall, and handsome and have dark hair. You don’t have to be white to be any of those things.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-26-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I have had MANY debates over the last few years with folks who use the argument that they want the characters "to look comic book accurate". But what I found is that they mean is leave white heroes white and that's it. But they don't mind side characters or villains to be black or people of color. As long as the hero remains white they are fine. Because to them and I quote " no one really cares about the side characters or villains". If Superman is white and say Lex Luthor is black there wouldn't be nearly the same kind of outrage from internet fans who are mad about there maybe being a Black super man in a live action movie.

To me that is hypocritical. If you are a comic book purist, then you would want ALL the characters to be comic book accurate not just the white main hero. Granted this doesn't apply to everyone and not all fans are like this. But the ones that are like this, I find it to be pretty lame and kind of insulting.
    I agree. I also want to add that this becomes an even bigger issue when a character is extremely popular and we know every aspect about them, people tend to create an internal bias and think the character should only be one way and never change.

WB needs to freaking start making and marketing elseworlds. Personally I think if they made Elseworlds a brand than their storytelling options become massively huge. Marketing and branding Elseworlds would allow them to tell stories that don't connect to the main universe with the audience fully understanding that upfront and being more open to seeing their favorite characters in ways and situations that isn't part of the established norm.

I would like to see a gotham by gaslight film or an injustice or a film about the crime syndicate with owlman qnd lois lane as superwoman. So many possible stories just not being told that should.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-26-2021 at 02:11 PM.

I was excited when I saw this could mean Calvin Ellis or Val Zod on the big screen then my heart sank, it'll be a J. J. Abrams production....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Let this project get pass the production phase before getting worked up about it. It has enough juice behind of it to be made but stuff like this die all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I agree. I also want to add that this becomes an even bigger issue when a character is extremely popular and we know every aspect about them, people tend to create an internal bias and think the character should only be one way and never change.

WB needs to freaking start making and marketing elseworlds. Personally I think if they made Elseworlds a brand than their storytelling options become massively huge. Marketing and branding Elseworlds would allow them to tell stories that don't connect to the main universe with the audience fully understanding that upfront and being more open to seeing their favorite characters in ways and situations that isn't part of the established norm.
    Same. I don't see the harm in an Elseworlds SuperMan movie starring a black lead as the character. Henry Cavill can stay as the main Super Man in the movie franchise as well. Warner Bros is already kinda of doing Elseworlds with 2019's Joker and Matt Reeves Batman film which isn't connected to the main DC movie universe.