Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default ‘Superman’ Reboot Being Produced By JJ Abrams With Ta-Nehisi Coates Writing

Superman’ Reboot In The Works At Warner Bros With Ta-Nehisi Coates Writing, J.J. Abrams Producing

It’s said to feature a black Superman.

Could be Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod. It’s unclear if the original Clark Kent character will be black.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-26-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

So President Superman?

I saw Superman reboot and thought to myself. "Maybe. It certainly couldn't do any worse than the last few movies."

Then I saw Black Superman, and that killed any interest I had.

Why can't they let Superman just be Superman?

Oh great, DC fucking things up again.

Incredible Member

If the thing that makes you skip this new Superman is that it might, potentially, POSSIBLY, theoretically star a black man playing the role of a fucking alien from outer space, there's the door lol. Such vitriol when we know nothing and there isn't any confirmation. But all y'all crying know you're going to watch it anyway, even if just to criticize. So...enjoy your negativity and don't forget, we have plenty of movies with the alabaster faced "alien" and many shows and the new Superman and Lois AND the Snydercut which will undoubtedly still have lily white faced resurrected Supes completely trounce the other League members. Y'all want that white man power fantasy, you're still getting it. Just because this one particular project THAT MAY NOT EVEN ACTUALLY HAVE A BLACK SUPERMAN exists doesn't mean it's erasing your beloved white Superman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    If the thing that makes you skip this new Superman is that it might, potentially, POSSIBLY, theoretically star a black man playing the role of a fucking alien from outer space, there's the door lol. Such vitriol when we know nothing and there isn't any confirmation. But all y'all crying know you're going to watch it anyway, even if just to criticize. So...enjoy your negativity and don't forget, we have plenty of movies with the alabaster faced "alien" and many shows and the new Superman and Lois AND the Snydercut which will undoubtedly still have lily white faced resurrected Supes completely trounce the other League members. Y'all want that white man power fantasy, you're still getting it. Just because this one particular project THAT MAY NOT EVEN ACTUALLY HAVE A BLACK SUPERMAN exists doesn't mean it's erasing your beloved white Superman.
    I think the issue for some is less that it may be a black Clark Kent, and more that it may not be Clark at all but another character.

Some can deal with the former. If we had a black actor playing Clark but he embodied the character well and the writing was good, I would be open to give it a shot before saying anything was ruined. The possibility of the latter option as a replacement after WB has barely hid their ambivalence for the character after all these years but still want to make money off his brand is more concerning.

Very cool if they actually do a black Superman. Superman is a character for all people, not just the honkies.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I don't get where people are saying DC doesn't care about Clark. we literally JUST got a new show based around him and he's still the main Superman in the comics/animation. They may not be doing what some fans want with the character but that isn't the same as not caring.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think the issue for some is less that it may be a black Clark Kent, and more that it may not be Clark at all but another character.

Some can deal with the former. If we had a black actor playing Clark but he embodied the character well and the writing was good, I would be open to give it a shot before saying anything was ruined. The possibility of the latter option as a replacement after WB has barely hid their ambivalence for the character after all these years but still want to make money off his brand is more concerning.
    I see where you’re coming from, but I have to disagree. I think the issue for many precisely has to do with a black actor being cast. Even if a black actor cast was Kent - no matter how good they are for the role, and how much they embody the part they will still face major backlash because “they don’t look like the character”(which is code for not being white).
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-26-2021 at 12:35 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I think this is disingenuous. I think the issue for many precisely has to do with a black actor being cast. Even if a black actor cast was Kent - no matter how good they are for the role, and how much they embody the part they will still face major backlash because “they don’t look like the character”(which is code for not being white).
    I said it was an issue for "Some". There are certainly those who are going to be pissed if Clark is black and not give it a chance period.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    We already have 3 (maybe 4) black Superman out there.

I think most would like those guys to get a shot more than a racebent Clark Kent.

Because you open the door for more options as we saw with Into the Spiderverse.

It also (or should) FORCE DC to start using Val or Calvin or Sunshine Superman more.

Since we are seeing Jace Fox, John Stewart and Nubia being used more. Not at the expense of white heroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I said it was an issue for "Some". There are certainly those who are going to be pissed if Clark is black and not give it a chance period.
    That cuts to the core of the issue for me. I’m not as worried about those fans who might take umbrage of having a Superman-on-film who isn’t Clark Kent as much as I am for the people who will take issue with the idea of a non-white actor play Superman period. No matter which version. Because those ones are the most loudest and most toxic of them all. I pity the poor POC actor who could potentially get cast in the role and having to deal with all that noise. I would hope they stay out of social media.

Personally I would prefer Clark to remain white and it to be another character but I can see them taking either route.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-26-2021 at 12:57 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We already have 3 (maybe 4) black Superman out there.

I think most would like those guys to get a shot more than a racebent Clark Kent.

Because you open the door for more options as we saw with Into the Spiderverse.

It also (or should) FORCE DC to start using Val or Calvin or Sunshine Superman more.

Since we are seeing Jace Fox, John Stewart and Nubia being used more. Not at the expense of white heroes.
    WB/DC wouldn't necessarily handle this the same way as Into the Spider-Verse and its success have been handled with Peter and Miles. Marvel and Disney love Peter and will never move away from him and are capable of finding ways to capitalize on both him and Miles to the benefit of many different fans. Everyone's happy.

WB just do not seem have that kind of "relationship" with Clark as of late. The only character they really treat that way is Batman currently. if they would find a way to still make money off the Superman brand but get rid of the character himself (even if by gradually phasing him out), the concern is they might actually attempt to take it.

Race bending Clark but otherwise keeping the character intact is the preferable option. They don't garner enough trust to handle a Spider-Verse scenario. if Disney did it, it would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    That cuts to the core of the issue for me. I’m not as worried about those fans who might take umbrage of having a Superman-on-film who isn’t Clark Kent as much as I am for the people who will take issue with the idea of a non-white actor play Superman period. No matter which version. Because those ones are the most loudest and most toxic of them all. I pity the poor actor who gets cast in the role and having to deal with all that noise.

Personally I would prefer Clark to remain white and it to be another character but I can see them going either route.
    Yes, I would feel terrible for the crap the actor would face. Even if I'd be pissed at a Calvin Ellis or Val Zod movie after wanting Clark, there is never any need to get that pissed or **** on the actor. For any reason, let alone a terrible one like that.

With the way things are though, I imagine certain groups would crap on a Calvin or Val-Zod actor even if Clark was also in the movie.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 02-26-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The race of the actor cast in the role doesn't bother me whatsoever.

The rumor that this will not be Clark Kent/Metropolis/Smallville/Daily Planet-centric movie but a completely new character with the SUPERMAN name, however, will definitely spark my ire.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The race of the actor cast in the role doesn't bother me whatsoever.

The rumor that this will not be Clark Kent/Metropolis/Smallville/Daily Planet-centric movie but a completely new character with the SUPERMAN name, however, will definitely spark my ire.
    We have other Superman from other multi-verses who were black and not Clark Kent.

Maybe it's Calvin Ellis?

Superman is an alien and being a white person isn't essential to the character. However, an alien that looked like a black kid that grew up in Smallville Kansas, would have significantly different experience than a white kid who grew up there.