Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

You should all be glad we didn't get the Tim Burton / Nick Cage Superman. That was going to be weird.

And yes, I saw the documentary.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Here is idle speculation. DC wants to do a Black Superhero pic. The biggest black superhero they have in media right now is Cyborg, but there is controversy around that character now due to Ray Fisher's allegations. So they shy away from a Cyborg movie and think outside the box. We get a Black Superman.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    The sad part is that this is very true. What I find crazy is that with WB/DC competing with Disney/Marvel is that they aren't playing to their own strengths which is taking risks and making elseworld stories. If this was marketed as an elseworld story about Calvin Ellis, which is not canon to the main universe, I think it wouldn't get bashed as much but would create more intrigue because we haven't seen that story on screen before and most people don't even know Calvin Ellis exists and has been Superman for years.
    I would worry about it being bashed anything different was going to be bashed plus we don't even know if it is going to be a black superman project, people seem to forget Coates was writing Captain America as well.

My general thoughts about a black superman project is in a world with Blue Marvel, Icon and Noble is there a need to kick the hornet nest with a black superman movie? I understand the Superman is a way more high profile project and that is the reason why you do it but a little part of me is annoyed that black original hero who fits what this is doing isn't being used but that said with nothing in the movie pipeline for black heroes other than black panther 2 and blade, I am perfectly fine with this being made If people don't like a character being changed or different character used support the hell out smaller character being used.

I will repeat this statement over and over the best to happen to minority characters is "racebending" because the only time comic fans talk about using new characters is when their old favorites are threatened with change. We sit here in the world after the black panther movie ton of money and nothing is production only recently Static, Blue Beetle, Naomi, and Wonder Woman were talked about but a peacemaker project can be greenlit and put in production with ease. This isn't what I want to see necessarily but the industry still isn't where it needs to be so this will have to do because we are not talking about a bunch of phantom projects production that could be made there is nothing. The just use "blank character" instead yeah the industry does not seem to be interested in that.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-26-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I would worry about it being bashed anything different was going to be bashed plus we don't even know if it is going to be a black superman project, people seem to forget Coates was writing Captain America as well.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

My general thoughts about a black superman project is in a world with Blue Marvel, Icon and Noble is there a need to kick the hornet nest with a black superman movie?
    I about screamed this when I read the headline....Gimme an Icon/Rocket movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The biggest black superhero they have in media right now is Cyborg.
    This fact is sad AF.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Extraordinary Member

Ha maybe this will get Feige to get off his ass and do a Blue Marvel movie. I'm down for a Calvin Ellis movie but Coates writing is worrisome. His BP run was not a good look.

Here is idle speculation. DC wants to do a Black Superhero pic. The biggest black superhero they have in media right now is Cyborg, but there is controversy around that character now due to Ray Fisher's allegations. So they shy away from a Cyborg movie and think outside the box. We get a Black Superman.
    John Stewart cryin in the club right now
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Remember when people were mad iron fist wasn't Asian evin tho iron fist ist Asian why was that okay but people not being a fan of this isn't? Anyway I don't really have a problem with this I'd just like Superman to look like he does in the comic's just like blade or Cage and really like James Bond I don't really see the point in a black veson.

Also I think everyone agrees please keep JJ away from all comic's startrack starwars etc he is not good at any of it!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    John Stewart cryin in the club right now
    John Stewart has little presence outside of comics. Besides the JL movie, Cyborg is in Doom Patrol, Teen Titans (all of them) Young Justice and more. He is the biggest DC Black superhero in media.

You should all be glad we didn't get the Tim Burton / Nick Cage Superman. That was going to be weird.

And yes, I saw the documentary.
    Please Do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Remember when people were mad iron fist wasn't Asian evin tho iron fist ist Asian why was that okay but people not being a fan of this isn't? Anyway I don't really have a problem with this I'd just like Superman to look like he does in the comic's just like blade or Cage and really like James Bond I don't really see the point in a black veson.
    done

done
    You know what I mean.......

Incredible Member

done
    If only we'd be so lucky. Seriously, we have how many awesome black Supermen? I think this is such an awesome way to open new storytelling avenues that haven't been explored on the big screen with such a big character.

The beauty of comics and fictional multiversal universes and the stories told within and about them is that the possibilities are endless.

I suspect many that argue they want Superman too look like he does in the comics is they want "their" specific version of Superman. Y'anno, their favorite version of him which is usually deeply rooted to the time period they where first exposed to him or starting reading his comics/watching his shows. Even within comics, he has varied greatly between different eras. Then you add in fans from tv show exposure or his movies and they don't necessarily overlap.

But the mythos is ripe and expansive and strong enough to be told through alternative perspectives and I think we could all damn well use a Black Superman character being super. Black Clark Kent, Val-Zod, Calvin Ellis, whoever. It can only strengthen his reputation and appeal and make bank if done well. I hope the project is allowed to fail or succeed on the basis of its artistic and creative merits.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    You know what I mean.......
    But, while he may not be your Superman, he is Superman. We're talking about comic book movies here lol. And if he gets this movie made and it's good, imagine the impact that could have on a new generation of fans.

That's not to say we're not going to get more white, cinematic Superman. This is a given. And I think those projects could coexist, especially if DC and WB really solidify their Elseworlds brand/franchises. "It's All Connected" becomes "It All Matters".

I'm not holding my breath, but it's a nice thought.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 02-26-2021 at 04:39 PM.