Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Scariest films involving animals

CBR has a list, which I'll link, but what do you think are the scariest films involving animals?

https://www.cbr.com/scariest-animals...#jurassic-park

10 Day Of The Animals
    09 Lake Placid
    08 The Grey (wolves)
    07 Backcountry (bear)
    06 Willard (rats)
    05 Arachnophobia (spiders)
    04 Cujo
    03 Jurassic Park
    02 The Birds
    01 Jaws

I just don't see Jaws as scary.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It terrified me as a kid. I love to swim but I wouldn't even get in a swimming pool for a year after watching Jaws.

Everybody's different.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It terrified me as a kid. I love to swim but I wouldn't even get in a swimming pool for a year after watching Jaws.

Everybody's different.
    Me too, it took me months not to be fearful in the ocean.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Wouldn't say they all scare me but here are some of the one's I've seen that haven't been mentioned.

The Pirahna films, Dogs (1976), Anaconda, Rats Night of Terror (Crazy Ending), Slugs, Shakma, Kingdom of the Spiders, Alligator (1980), Night of the Lepus, & The Swarm.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-28-2023 at 05:43 PM.

Do they have to be Earth animals?

And does the Blob count? 'Cause that one scene from the 80's (?) remake where the Blob comes down through the air vent in the ceiling had me weak forever. I was the older brother who slept on the top bunk, and the air vent was right in front of my face every night.

Hopefully this counts, but my choice would be...

Princess Mononoke
    (もののけ姫)

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-28-2023 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Do they have to be Earth animals?

And does the Blob count? 'Cause that one scene from the 80's (?) remake where the Blob comes down through the air vent in the ceiling had me weak forever. I was the older brother who slept on the top bunk, and the air vent was right in front of my face every night.
    As I recall Blob was a bioweapon created by the government, with their representative scaremongering the local town ignorant population about it being a transmissible disease (sounds familiar nowadays?) so it shouldn't count as a nature animal at all. It was even adopted by the end of the movie as an apocalyptic signal by an insane and traumatized by it religious fanatic.

This list can become a lot different if it allows native species outside of Earth (like the Thing and Slither's colony) but just for Earth creatures, the OP is a good enough template.
    Last edited by Wildling; 02-28-2023 at 10:21 PM.

Arachnophobia is the only one to give me the heebie jeebies.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Retired

You know, what immediately comes to my mind with this topic is all the animal movies where I'm scared for the animal. THE BEAR (1988) directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud is one of those. Set in the Rocky Mountains, in my home province of British Columbia, the movie was actually made in the Dolomites of Italy and Austria. That stings a bit; however, it's a reversal of all the times when Canada has stood in for other countries.

Crawl is a fairly new and fairly affective movie. It features people trapped in the crawl space of their house as it floods during a hurricane while their preyed upon bug large alligators.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    04 Cujo
    03 Jurassic Park
    02 The Birds
    01 Jaws
    CBR's list seems spot on and actually makes me realize that animal horror genre doesn't have a deep roster of great films, or even good films.

Jaws was scary when I first saw it, and it scares still as shark attacks (by different species of shark) are very real (even if most are non-fatal). I was vacationing in New England sorta near Martha's Vineyard and 2 locals gently warned me out of nowhere not to swim because of attacks and shark tagging databases that show sharks in the area. I was caught off guard, surprised. The sharks are drawn to seal populations in certain areas, and of course some humans get mistaken for seals.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-01-2023 at 08:43 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    As I recall Blob was a bioweapon created by the government, with their representative scaremongering the local town ignorant population about it being a transmissible disease (sounds familiar nowadays?) so it shouldn't count as a nature animal at all. It was even adopted by the end of the movie as an apocalyptic signal by an insane and traumatized by it religious fanatic.

This list can become a lot different if it allows native species outside of Earth (like the Thing and Slither's colony) but just for Earth creatures, the OP is a good enough template.
    The original Blob was of extraterrestrial origin.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It was as scary as a movie gets. I don't think a film needs a supernatural element to be scary. Also saw it as a kid -- and had to close my eyes twice. The first time when that disembodied head popped out of the hull of the sunken boat. And the second time when Quint was being eaten alive. Didn't see that scene if full until I was an adult!

Retired

The original JAWS holds up because of Spielberg's great direction and the fear of the unseen horror. Somewhere out there is this thing and it is coming for us, but we can't see it.