Incredible Member

Default Why was Steve Howard killed?

I've never understood why Steve Howard (Trevor) was killed off in WW#248. He'd only been back a short while (and he wouldn't be gone for long), but the story in which he was killed off wasn't great and it seemed like an unceremonious ditching at the time, although he hadn't been exactly useful.

Was it editorial decree? Was Jack Harris just tired of him (although he wasn't on the title much longer)? Is there some other tea?

In my mind, the best thing to come out of the second death of Steve was the great cover to Adventure Comics #460:

Adventure_Comics_460.jpg

I've read almost the entire Earth 1 WW series this last year - just a few more to go before the Crisis reboot - and I wondered the same thing about Steve.
    There's a real love hate relationship it seems like with Steve and DC.
    He was killed off, then brought back as Steve Howard. Steve Howard wasn't even around as much as you would think as the title switched to WWII for awhile, and then they killed him pretty quickly after the title returned to the present.
    During that time he was brought back with the knowledge that WW was Diana Prince but I don't believe they ever even had a conversation about it. There was so much potential with that character and relationship that wasn't explored.
    And then a few years after killing him off again they replaced him with the alternate universe Steve.