Default Infinite Frontier series rundown: thoughts & opinions

Someone in a thread I was reading mentioned we have no Infinite Frontier thread to just talk about our thoughts and opinions on the series so far, I guess I just thought I would correct that and make one big page if that was alright. Basically very simple just talk about what you have read so far and what you would recommend or what you would not recommend, its ultimately up to you.

I'll try to go in a kind of ranked order for my choices.

1. Swamp Thing, I was not sure how this would go since its a completely new character but to me this is my absolute favorite of the bunch. Ram V and Mike Perkins do a great job building a good first issue that draws you into a good horror mystery.

2. Next Batman: Second Son, I'm genuinely interested in Jace as Batman so I read the digital series as it is so far, and while we haven't seen Jace suit up Ridley does a good job building a family dynamic and showing Jace's competence. Of course there is also some Batwing stuff for action.

3. Batman #106, so I did not like Joker War. I have my reasons, I don't want to argue with people, I just didn't like it. However, this issue and I guess Infinite Frontier #0 made all of that worth it. It turns out that once Tynion took the time to establish a brand new status quo with the Batfamily, Oracle, and Ghost-maker all working alongside Bruce that I had a good time. I guess I feel like someone who tried to watch a show online but his friends told him get to season 2 and it gets better, and I guess thats true for me here.

4. Superman #29, I liked how Johnson tried to deal with Clark and Jon's relationship. Really have to see how this all plays out after the first two parter.

5. Suicide Squad #1, it's good, seriously I mean that, but right now its classic suicide squad with grand dreams that it has to live up to. Team members died, people recruited, and Waller schemes, I had fun but it will really depend on how the rest of the next couple issues go before I am in for the long ride. However, it and a few other titles I have seen seem to make me think that the suicide squad will have a big role in various titles throughout, but that remains to be seen.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Since we already have the INFINITE FRONTIER #0 DISCUSSION/SPOILERS thread, I guess you're really going for the books in series that follow issue #0 and have that "Infinite Frontier" banner on the top.

Is it really necessary to have read Infinite Frontier #0 to understand these books that seem to be piggy-backing on to it? (I haven't bought / read any of them myself.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Since we already have the INFINITE FRONTIER #0 DISCUSSION/SPOILERS thread, I guess you're really going for the books in series that follow issue #0 and have that "Infinite Frontier" banner on the top.

Is it really necessary to have read Infinite Frontier #0 to understand these books that seem to be piggy-backing on to it? (I haven't bought / read any of them myself.)
    Yeah, I’m going the ongoings and minis that happen after #0. As for whether it’s necessary, not really as most stories are either continuing or brand new. The only thing that you really need to know is what happened to Arkham for the Batman books.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

New week, new books, of course I did not read them all I only read two, one I really liked as soon it was announced and one I was curious about.

1. Nightwing, I mean for me its my favorite DC writer on my favorite DC character establishing a new/restored status quo. Just a well told Nightwing start issue after the last few years we have had.

2. Justice League, it's Bendis' first issue and its okay. He doesn't do anything bad, some of the characters have good voices, and the art looks good. Worst part really is just the main villains voice, he just sounds wrong from how he looks. Justice League Dark is great though, good follow up from the end of Ram V's run and gets us ready for a big Merlin story.
    Words to live by.

1. Wonder Woman #770: A truly fresh direction that uses the set-up of Death Metal well. I'm pretty sure that Diana in the Gods' Sphere isn't something that would have otherwise happened. I'm also looking forward to a more committed creative team that stays on for quite some time. It seems as if DC is aiming at that with Future State as a whole. I'm very excited to see how Cloonan's and Conrad's story unfolds.

2. Catwoman #25: Nothing truly new to say here simply because Ram V and Fernando Blanco have been great ever since they took over with #25. Selina is really channeling that femme fatal while she is in her "crime persona", and I love that the tone shifts a bit the second she dons the Catwoman costume. Blanco's Gotham feels incredibly alive. His establishing panels are great.

3. Nightwing #78: A good showcase of who Dick is. The details make it. The bad thing is that when stepping away from those details, it feels a lot like the start of Rebirth with better art but without the excitement that Raptor ignited and the reassurance Seeley brought that the Grayson elements wouldn't be thrown away immediately. It's Blüdhaven, Blockbuster, and Barbara as the helping hand all over again. It's even "back in black and blue". Still can't believe they put that as a slogan on the promotion. I think it's a cool Issue on its own. But it doesn't have that Infinite Frontier potential yet.

Wonder Woman #770 I have recommended to all my friends because of how friendly it is for new readers. It's hard getting friends to read comics because the numbers intimidate a lot of people.

It's also just a good issue.

I've liked or loved almost everything they've published since Infinite Frontier began. The only exceptions have been Superman, which was pretty boring, and Justice League, which was only okay. Otherwise this new direction has worked wonderfully for me.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

While I like the atmosphere and direction they're going for the writing quality and stories themselves have been mostly lackluster for me.

Superman was kind of ok. Not a great debut for a brand new writer. I'm hoping after this Golden age story it really kicks into gear.

Justice League was boring and pointless but it's Bendis so what else is new. The JLD backup was decent though.

Swamp Thing is a bit slow and I havent quite gotten into the new character. But I'll give it another issue or so to pick up.

Suicide Squad and Nightwing are great so far. Nothing brand new or ground breaking but solid writing and great art so far.

I know it's not officially part of IF but Superman Red and Blue was garbage and really left a bad taste for me today. Thankfully Nightwing came out today as well and gave me back some hope.

Hopefully Action comics and Batman/Superman will be good next week. And the week after that my most anticipated comic, The Flash, starring Wally West.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake