Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Crime Syndicate #1 Preview

Crime Syndicate #1 Preview
    Writer: Andy Schmidt
    Artist: Kieran McKeown

I feel like if we didn’t see the crime syndicate in Future State this would just be a random miniseries but I have a feeling we will be seeing more of these characters in the foreseeable future.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Honestly pretty excited to actually see Sea King in action

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I feel like if we didn’t see the crime syndicate in Future State this would just be a random miniseries but I have a feeling we will be seeing more of these characters in the foreseeable future.
    Maybe it wall be in Infinete Frontier

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"The DC Multiverse is reborn, and with it a new Earth-3!" continues DC's description. "Witness the true origins of the malevolent makers of mayhem known as the Crime Syndicate as a common foe unites them! But how long can alliances last between villains like these?"

"Kieran and I were given a once-a-lifetime opportunity to build a world from the ground up," says Schmidt. "We're establishing the Crime Syndicate's origin story for the first time—how and why they came together. And we're not taking it lightly. You'll find that you've entered a fully realized world—this is the story of the Crime Syndicate, but it's also the story of Earth-3 and it moves fast and pulls no punches.”

Okay. Good. They straight up said that this is a brand new Crime Syndicate with a new origin.
    This is not the Crime Syndicate that died in Forever Evil and Darkseid War, brought back then kidnapped and terrorized Jon Kent.
    This is not the Owlman that's obsessed with Dick Grayson, took over Metron's Chair, killed by Manhattan, revived, and in the end, died to troll Perpetua.
    That Earth-3 is gone and this is a new one, reborn with the Omniverse.

Extraordinary Member

I'm disappointed that they changed Emerald Knight from being a black Hal Jordan, like was in the original announcement, to John Stewart. Cancel culture strikes again.

(this is a joke).

How was the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I'm disappointed that they changed Emerald Knight from being a black Hal Jordan, like was in the original announcement, to John Stewart. Cancel culture strikes again.

(this is a joke).
    I think the bigger joke is they didn't even try to hide how obvious it is the character was originally meant to be Hal. John operates in Coast City, his ring taunts him about being a coward for not using lethal force with less hesitation, they even show him flying between 2 fighter jets at one point. They just changed the character's name and look and that was it. I hope the Emerald Knight back-up story goes into a better detail about the character, but the book itself while having a pretty good art didn't really grab me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    How was the book?
    Fine. It's not a bad read but if you're not a Crime Syndicate fan already I don't think there's anything here to really hook you.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    "The DC Multiverse is reborn, and with it a new Earth-3!" continues DC's description. "Witness the true origins of the malevolent makers of mayhem known as the Crime Syndicate as a common foe unites them! But how long can alliances last between villains like these?"

"Kieran and I were given a once-a-lifetime opportunity to build a world from the ground up," says Schmidt. "We're establishing the Crime Syndicate's origin story for the first time—how and why they came together. And we're not taking it lightly. You'll find that you've entered a fully realized world—this is the story of the Crime Syndicate, but it's also the story of Earth-3 and it moves fast and pulls no punches.”

Okay. Good. They straight up said that this is a brand new Crime Syndicate with a new origin.
    This is not the Crime Syndicate that died in Forever Evil and Darkseid War, brought back then kidnapped and terrorized Jon Kent.
    This is not the Owlman that's obsessed with Dick Grayson, took over Metron's Chair, killed by Manhattan, revived, and in the end, died to troll Perpetua.
    That Earth-3 is gone and this is a new one, reborn with the Omniverse.
    With this being a Brand New Crime Syndicate, I really want each character to be more than a parody of an "evil trait". I want each of them to be shown in depth and truly how powerful each is in their own right (which is the same or better than their hero counterparts).
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think the bigger joke is they didn't even try to hide how obvious it is the character was originally meant to be Hal. John operates in Coast City, his ring taunts him about being a coward for not using lethal force with less hesitation, they even show him flying between 2 fighter jets at one point. They just changed the character's name and look and that was it. I hope the Emerald Knight back-up story goes into a better detail about the character, but the book itself while having a pretty good art didn't really grab me.
    I know they're really promoting John hard now, but would anyone have really minded if Earth-3 Power Ring was still Harold?

No, I would not mind it being Harold, but I liked Harold's personality as he first appeared. He was mean, merciless and was not a coward. He fought Superman without flinching.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    How was the book?
    Solid first issue. It’s got a bunch of funny moments to it that I enjoyed. Going to keep reading.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Always Rakzo

This was kinda average. Nothing really bad but nothing really great either and I'm pretty sure it will fall into the pool of the many forgotten interpretations of the Crime Syndicate (the use of Trump phrases won't help to make it age any better either).

Decent art at least.

Astonishing Member

While I would have liked it a little more if like, there was maybe a slavish devotion to almost recreating The Brave and the Bold # 28, and only then adding the Earth-3-isms on top of those interactions, I thought this was fun. It's the first 20 pages of a series and at least works fast enough to give us a dash of who the core group are here (barring the mysterious additions later) and why they're cads but fun to watch and giving us Starro the Conqueror attacking The Wrong Earth premise. So I liked it. I agree the scenes set so far were a bit average and the dialogue a bit trite. Certainly the way I read it I felt like if I was watching actors say that dialogue they'd really be able to ham it up and bring like some level of campy-cringy excellence to it but reading it wasn't too interesting. But we'll see if it gets compelling. I liked Owlman. I really liked his victory speech during Death Metal too when he realized that Earth-3's luck has had it get killed off brutally in like every crisis but that the universe keeps Rebirthing it every time fresh and he took that to mean cosmic victorious destiny. So even though that Owlman ... "Rebirth Owlman" is already dead, maybe through Infinite Frontier "I can kind of remember various timelines" holistic integration he'll have some of that ridiculous swagger. It's almost like it could be old school, or "high-watermark" Matt Groening comedy, with the self-aware humor of it, the edginess of a Comics Super-Team aware of having been rebooted more times than even the Mainline Earth-0 variations. Like I feel like at this point in the next Crisis on Earth-3 JLA crossover you get Owlman and Batman in a room and after they invariably have to work together to foil a greater menace you know Owlman's gonna be like "You got rebooted three times? Yeah I've been rebooted SIX times."
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com