Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default G.I. Joe's Lady Jaye Is Getting A TV Series On Amazon

Hasbro’s G.I. Joe realm is quite obviously male-dominated, but there’s one team member who’s equally fierce whether she’s glamorously undercover in an evening gown or in full-on battle mode: Lady Jaye, who’ll soon get the spotlight in her own Amazon series.

This scoop comes from Deadline, which reports the character—around since 1984, but last seen in live action in 2013's G.I. Joe: Retaliation, played by Agents of SHIELD’s Adrianne Palicki—will be the focal point of a live-action series at Amazon, noting it will be “a standalone story centered around Jaye, which will also connect to the larger G.I. Joe universe.”

No word on who might don Lady Jaye’s tactical gear in this version of her story, but there’s already some promising behind-the-scenes talent: Erik Oleson (whose credits include Carnival Row, The Man in the High Castle, and Daredevil), who’s on board to create, showrun, and co-executive produce. We’ll bring you more on Hasbro’s plans for its G.I. Joe transmedia universe as we learn them.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/g-i-joes-lad...ies-1846355550

"Hasbro’s G.I. Joe realm is quite obviously male-dominated," - I mean, there's a lot of female Joes. I think it was kind of revolutionary how prominent the female Joes were in the original Sunbow cartoon, especially compared to Transformers.

I don't mind giving Lady Jaye some love even if it feels kind of random to focus on her, but I guess this will tie-in to the Snake Eyes movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Hasbro’s G.I. Joe realm is quite obviously male-dominated," - I mean, there's a lot of female Joes. I think it was kind of revolutionary how prominent the female Joes were in the original Sunbow cartoon, especially compared to Transformers.

I don't mind giving Lady Jaye some love even if it feels kind of random to focus on her, but I guess this will tie-in to the Snake Eyes movie?
    Admittedly, the only female Joes I recall are Cover Girl, Lady Jaye, Scarlett and Jinx. I'm not saying there aren't female Joes but I don't think it is inaccurate to say they are outnumbered by their male peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Admittedly, the only female Joes I recall are Cover Girl, Lady Jaye, Scarlett and Jinx. I'm not saying there aren't female Joes but I don't think it is inaccurate to say they are outnumbered by their male peers.
    I wonder if anyone has done a per episode count of use for the characters. While there were more men, were the women able to get more screentime? It has been a long time since I've seen any episodes, so I'm not sure.

Dang it all, I thought it was going to star Adrienne, now I'm not as interested.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I'm all for this

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You and I and I think damn near everyone else who WATCHED the show and its various incarnations know that...

Scarlet Jinx and Cover Girl = "Are we jokes to you?" or however that meme goes. lol

My only question is, which male character will they choose as the primary villain? My guess is Major Bludd.

I guess it depends on who the adversaries are (Cobra, Drednoks, Red Shadows, Iron Grenadiers) and how similar they are to their original appearances. A series where Lady Jaye faces off against some generic TV movie terrorists doesn't appeal to me. Nor would turning someone like Destro into just a regular business man in a suit. (Like Destro's appearance in the first Joe film or how the Chun Li solo movie ruined M. Bison.) Obviously, the Crimson Twins CAN be evil business men in suits, but they better have those cool Crimson Guardsmen uniformed troops backing them up!
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Who? Scarlett is really the only female Joe I'm familiar and I'm wondering why isn't she the one with the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Who? Scarlett is really the only female Joe I'm familiar and I'm wondering why isn't she the one with the show.
    Lady Jay was the heroine in the second live-action G.I. Joe movie, and in the cartoon was often seen opposite Flint. In fact I think the cartoon outright said they were in a relationship together. I think the idea was Flint and Lady Jay vs Destro and Baroness.

Cute scene with them together:

Extraordinary Member

How can you not know who Lady Jaye is if you followed the show?LOL. She was even in the live action movie. Thinking they're going with her because she had the more tactical uniform.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    How can you not know who Lady Jaye is if you followed the show?LOL. She was even in the live action movie. Thinking they're going with her because she had the more tactical uniform.
    I never watched the original show. GI Joe I seen were Sigma 6 and Renegades. I don't remember her showing up in those. I never got around to seeing the second movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I never watched the original show. GI Joe I seen were Sigma 6 and Renegades. I don't remember her showing up in those. I never got around to seeing the second movie.
    Lady Jaye was in Renegades. She was Duke's friend trying to keep Flint from catching them.

Astonishing Member

Interesting choice. Lady Jaye's specialty is Covert Ops, so that might have more interesting standalone stories than the other female joes. I think if you had a Scarlett show, everyone would be waiting for a Snake Eyes appearance, which they would want to avoid for now.

I wonder if they are going to keep the bit of her orgin that states that she and Destro are related.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    You and I and I think damn near everyone else who WATCHED the show and its various incarnations know that...
    It's Io9, expecting them to know what they are talking about is asking too much.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest