Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

My only issue with a dogpile scenario is that they're dealing with a dude strong enough to ragdoll any of them he gets his mitts on. Which means while three of them are trying to coordinate attacking him, he may have grabbed Colossus or Rhino and be beating the others over the head with his victim's body. Or just be punting people away from him as fast as they come (Ares having the skill to avoid this, I figure, but I'm less sanguine on Ben or Piotr doing so against an enraged Class 100).

Not saying it's not possible, just saying it's a whole lot more difficult when the other guy is more than twice as strong than anyone else here and looking to put the hurt on anyone getting in his face.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    My only issue with a dogpile scenario is that they're dealing with a dude strong enough to ragdoll any of them he gets his mitts on. Which means while three of them are trying to coordinate attacking him, he may have grabbed Colossus or Rhino and be beating the others over the head with his victim's body. Or just be punting people away from him as fast as they come (Ares having the skill to avoid this, I figure, but I'm less sanguine on Ben or Piotr doing so against an enraged Class 100).

Not saying it's not possible, just saying it's a whole lot more difficult when the other guy is more than twice as strong than anyone else here and looking to put the hurt on anyone getting in his face.
    To be fair, being much more skilled at hand to hand combat, specifically with regards to Judo, is pretty much explicitly the only reason that Colossus ever lasts as long as he does against guys like Juggernaut and, IIRC, World War Hulk. It's kinda his *thing,* like how Ben's thing is raw determination.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    To be fair, being much more skilled at hand to hand combat, specifically with regards to Judo, is pretty much explicitly the only reason that Colossus ever lasts as long as he does against guys like Juggernaut and, IIRC, World War Hulk. It's kinda his *thing,* like how Ben's thing is raw determination.
    DOES Colossus last long against Juggs? He usually gets swatted and then comes back for more, doesn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    DOES Colossus last long against Juggs? He usually gets swatted and then comes back for more, doesn’t he?
    Its usually grit that keeps him hanging with Juggernaut.

He did however display awesome avoidance and judo like skills against Savage Hulk back when they had that fight in the mountains.

He was unable to hurt Hulk but was landing hits at will and stating his danger room training was paying off.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I'm cool with Piotr being pretty good with Judo, and yeah, he has used it against some heavy-hitters like Sasquatch.

He kinda gets murdered by WWH and Juggernaut, though. Seriously. He attacks WWH with the rest of the X-men, and basically punches him a whole bunch of times...accomplishing nothing. Hulk absently swats him away a couple of times, he comes back. They then lock grips, and Hulk bends him. Literally. And that's all for Colossus.

There's this great sequence back in the day where Colossus goes up against some guy in a bar after breaking up with Kitty. He's pissed, Logan sets him up to start a fight with this really big guy.

The really big guy (if nobody has guessed, it's Marko out of costume) beats all hell out of him. Rather easily. Without trying hard.

I've seen Colossus manage against people like Sasquatch by using Judo, but I don't recall him actually handling any legit class 100s with it.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

That seems a tad outside of what we've seen him do, in my opinion. O_o I could be wrong - haven't paid as much attention to the character in a while.
    Its possibly an outlier. Not certain myself. He didn't particularly hurt Nova.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

There are practically two Bens in Marvel Comics. As a member of the Fantastic Four, it is Ben's job to take a whupping from the bad guy just long enough for Reed to invent some gizmo to save the say. Away from the FF, Ben is a very tactical fighter who often makes effective use of his immediate environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    There are practically two Bens in Marvel Comics. As a member of the Fantastic Four, it is Ben's job to take a whupping from the bad guy just long enough for Reed to invent some gizmo to save the say. Away from the FF, Ben is a very tactical fighter who often makes effective use of his immediate environment.
    He’s almost Worf-like in that regard.

He’s almost Worf-like in that regard.
    You'll find this sort of character in any number of stories, I fear.

But yeah, Ben is a highly skilled boxer and wrestler in addition to his physical power.
    Why are we here?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Most of Thor's Avengers career is either solving some issue mostly off-panel that is way beyond all of the others, or getting messed up by the head baddie to prove what a badass he is.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Most of Thor's Avengers career is either solving some issue mostly off-panel that is way beyond all of the others, or getting messed up by the head baddie to prove what a badass he is.
    See also Sentry, The.

And Strange, Doctor.

See also Sentry, The.

And Strange, Doctor.
    As a Defender, Strange served different roles. Using the Eye of Agamotto and teleportation spells, Strange was crucial to moving the story along. He often used magic to keep the Hulk in line, and he was a master of shouty exposition to clarify even the weirdest situations.

As a Defender, Strange served different roles. Using the Eye of Agamotto and teleportation spells, Strange was crucial to moving the story along. He often used magic to keep the Hulk in line, and he was a master of shouty exposition to clarify even the weirdest situations.
    Did that last a lot in the old issues of DS:MotMA as well.
    Why are we here?

Did that last a lot in the old issues of DS:MotMA as well.
    One of the ONLY things (possibly THE only thing) I liked about Bendis’ Avengers Disembowelled story was that it demonstrated exactly why they usually keep a full-powered Strange the f**k away from most team books. Because he makes everyone else irrelevant.

Seriously, Wanda tore the Avengers a new arsehole for an entire story arc of terrible writing (“Not like this! If the Avengers has to be ended and relaunched... not like this!”), then Strange just swoops in at the end and says “There, there. It’s alright. Uncle Stephen’s here now.” and it’s done.

Earth’s Mightiest Heroes my arse.

One of the ONLY things (possibly THE only thing) I liked about Bendis’ Avengers Disembowelled story was that it demonstrated exactly why they usually keep a full-powered Strange the f**k away from most team books. Because he makes everyone else irrelevant.

Seriously, Wanda tore the Avengers a new arsehole for an entire story arc of terrible writing (“Not like this! If the Avengers has to be ended and relaunched... not like this!”), then Strange just swoops in at the end and says “There, there. It’s alright. Uncle Stephen’s here now.” and it’s done.

Earth’s Mightiest Heroes my arse.
    During the classic Avengers-Defenders War, the Defenders clearly won, with 5 wins and 1 stalemate.