Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    One of the ONLY things (possibly THE only thing) I liked about Bendis’ Avengers Disembowelled story was that it demonstrated exactly why they usually keep a full-powered Strange the f**k away from most team books. Because he makes everyone else irrelevant.

Seriously, Wanda tore the Avengers a new arsehole for an entire story arc of terrible writing (“Not like this! If the Avengers has to be ended and relaunched... not like this!”), then Strange just swoops in at the end and says “There, there. It’s alright. Uncle Stephen’s here now.” and it’s done.

Earth’s Mightiest Heroes my arse.
    Then Bendis nerfed him.

*sighs*

Well, he's back somewhere around his Classic Levels supposedly, though we're not likely to get the feats anymore thanks to him being a secondary character in Strange Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    During the classic Avengers-Defenders War, the Defenders clearly won, with 5 wins and 1 stalemate.
    ...did the stalemate involve Captain America?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I'm reading it now. Hilariously, it starts off with the Avengers trying to get into the Black Knight's castle - protected by a shield put up by Strange - and the entire group of them (including Thor) can't manage it. ^_^ A good start.

*keeps reading* Good lord, the PIS is strong in this one.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Colossus once had a much better showing against non-WWH Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    During the classic Avengers-Defenders War, the Defenders clearly won, with 5 wins and 1 stalemate.
    Again, the four core members of the Classic Defenders are so over-powered that it made so much sense when they did that book The Order, when they were magicked and just took over the world because “Screw you - you can’t stop me.”

Valkyrie, Nighthawk and Hellcat were mostly reduced to impotent observers.

Because by comparison, they were.

OG Defenders were also the OP Defenders.

There’s only ever been a couple of teams that are that degree of broken in Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Colossus once had a much better showing against non-WWH Hulk

This is the fight I was referencing. It's a good showing. Hulk isn't particularly damaged but Colossus is definitely showing decent skill. He doesn't always.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Again, the four core members of the Classic Defenders are so over-powered that it made so much sense when they did that book The Order, when they were magicked and just took over the world because “Screw you - you can’t stop me.”

There’s only ever been a couple of teams that are that degree of broken in Marvel.
    Its telling when the weakest member of your team is freaking Namor.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The level of PIS in the Avengers-Defenders War - on BOTH sides - is utterly unbelievable. There's stuff in it like Hawkeye withstanding a sustained barrage from Iron Man's repulsors, Black Panther kicking around Strange, Thor getting captured and tied up by a bunch of mutated humans, Surfer having severe problems dealing with a volcano, etc.

But yeah, going by feats the original Defenders are a monster team. It really says something when Namor and Hulk are the weak links.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Its telling when the weakest member of your team is freaking Namor.
    Ninja'ed by Arby...
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Then Bendis nerfed him.

*sighs*
    Yup. Same guy that had him making the whole Avengers team irrelevant, had him being shanked by Hand ninja a handful of issues later.

I mean... I got nothin’.

Well, he's back somewhere around his Classic Levels supposedly, though we're not likely to get the feats anymore thanks to him being a secondary character in Strange Academy.
    That at least is a relief.

But yeah, going by feats the original Defenders are a monster team. It really says something when Namor and Hulk are the weak links.
    Only two teams I’ve ever seen in Marvel that are that level of nuts.

1. The Mighty Avengers team with Sentry, Wonder Man, Iron Man, Ms Marvel (Carol), Ares, Giant-Wasp (Janet) and... Black Widow to fetch coffee. I mean that’s mostly due to Sentry, but it’s still pretty nuts.

2. That frankly ludicrous version of the Guardians of the Galaxy that was Surfer, Gladiator, Beta Ray Bill, Quasar, Adam Warlock, Nova Prime, Phyla Vell, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Moondragon, Darkhawk, Groot and... Star Lord to fetch coffee.

Edit: Oh, there was the Galactic Guardians back in the 90s GotG series...
    Last edited by Beadle; 03-01-2021 at 12:18 PM.

1. The Mighty Avengers team with Sentry, Wonder Man, Iron Man, Ms Marvel (Carol), Ares, Giant-Wasp (Janet) and... Black Widow to fetch coffee. I mean that’s mostly due to Sentry, but it’s still pretty nuts.

2. That frankly ludicrous version of the Guardians of the Galaxy that was Surfer, Gladiator, Beta Ray Bill, Quasar, Adam Warlock, Nova Prime, Phyla Vell, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Moondragon, Darkhawk, Groot and... Star Lord to fetch coffee.

Yes. Consisting of: Phoenix IX, Firelord, Spirit of Vengeance, Replica, Hollywood, Mainframe and Martinex.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

The "Thanos Imperative (Initiative?)" was similarly ridiculous.

That class 100 attack squad of multiple Heralds that rolled up on Tyrant was also bonkers
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

The Annihilators were...

Surfer, Beta-Ray Bill, Ronan the Accuser, Gladiator and Quasar... right? Oh and a Spaceknight who I have no idea how powerful the Spaceknights are these days, and Cosmo the Spacedog as a mascot.

That's a very consistently high level team.

Basically there have been quite a few high-end teams. ^_^
    Why are we here?

The Host of Celestials that beat up Odin is the most powerful super hero team. ;P

Dont @ me with that "Those definitely aren't super heroes" talk
    - big_adventure