Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Does Universally mean both audience and critics? It isn't even a matter of like it is love for me lol! I love Norbit, Underworld, and Sister Act Back in the Habit.

I enjoy watching John Carter and Green Lantern - I don't get the dislike.

The dislike for Avatar is sooo weird to me that i hope it doesn't ruin my anticipation for the sequels.

SW Prequels. I will never understand the dislike because i was exposed to them when i was young and i have re-watched them more than the OT so anything said against them just fall on deaf ears lol
    The thing about Avatar is in 09 2010 people thought it was the best thing ever hear on CBR if you had anything bad to say about it you were gang up on and shot down but in 2011 2012 things changed like magic it was OR very few were big fans of it iv never seen such a fast turnaround.

3000 miles to Graceland

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Does Universally mean both audience and critics? It isn't even a matter of like it is love for me lol! I love Norbit, Underworld, and Sister Act Back in the Habit.

I enjoy watching John Carter and Green Lantern - I don't get the dislike.

The dislike for Avatar is sooo weird to me that i hope it doesn't ruin my anticipation for the sequels.

SW Prequels. I will never understand the dislike because i was exposed to them when i was young and i have re-watched them more than the OT so anything said against them just fall on deaf ears lol
    There was a backlash against Avatar like anything else very popular. I never got it either.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    The thing about Avatar is in 09 2010 people thought it was the best thing ever hear on CBR if you had anything bad to say about it you were gang up on and shot down but in 2011 2012 things changed like magic it was OR very few were big fans of it iv never seen such a fast turnaround.
    I think what changed for Avatar was people saw it at home on their TVs or even their phones. Or like my cousin who didn't like it, on a plane! This was a movie made to be seen in 3D at the theaters. An opinion based on seeing it shown on HBO or TNT is like someone telling you if a roller coaster is good or bad based on seeing a video of the ride on YouTube. If you didn't see it in 3D you did not see Avatar.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Avatar and Aquaman were two movies that never work on the small screen. I saw Aquaman in a rumble chair that moves and quakes and a high quality thx sound with perfect 3 D. Who the underwater scenes came I felt like in another world and thought it was a very great cinema experience. On the small screen the movie was just short above average, even with a good tv and a dolby surround system.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Avatar and Aquaman were two movies that never work on the small screen. I saw Aquaman in a rumble chair that moves and quakes and a high quality thx sound with perfect 3 D. Who the underwater scenes came I felt like in another world and thought it was a very great cinema experience. On the small screen the movie was just short above average, even with a good tv and a dolby surround system.
    As a person who only saw Aquaman on TV, and enjoyed it a lot, I can see that I missed some of the grandeur. For me the fight on the Italian Island is the best part. It could be the underwater scenes, which I did like, also need a big screen.
    As for 3D, I only like movies shot in 3D like Avatar, I have never liked post production 3D on any film.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think what changed for Avatar was people saw it at home on their TVs or even their phones. Or like my cousin who didn't like it, on a plane! This was a movie made to be seen in 3D at the theaters. An opinion based on seeing it shown on HBO or TNT is like someone telling you if a roller coaster is good or bad based on seeing a video of the ride on YouTube. If you didn't see it in 3D you did not see Avatar.
    Even when it was first released though there was a certain amount of backlash against the film. This was because a lot people thought it was a truly great sci-fi movie that would be hailed as a classic for years to come, whilst the rest of us thought it was a great tech demo, but an average sci-fi actioner. I was bored by the time it got to the final act. There is nothing like over-hype to make an audience turn on a film.

Extraordinary Member

As someone who never got to see Avatar in theaters and only saw it on a small screen, that did greatly effect what I got out of it. The world was still pretty, but the story and characters were very bland, and without the large-screen 3d experience there was no 'wow' moment. That said, I really want to see the Avatar land they built at Disneyworld's Animal Kingdom. I think that could provide the 'wow' factor I didn't get from the movie itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Even when it was first released though there was a certain amount of backlash against the film. This was because a lot people thought it was a truly great sci-fi movie that would be hailed as a classic for years to come, whilst the rest of us thought it was a great tech demo, but an average sci-fi actioner. I was bored by the time it got to the final act. There is nothing like over-hype to make an audience turn on a film.
    It got a lot of heat at the time for being a Fern Gully/Last Of The Mohicans knock-off with character designs apparently inspired by a 90s Amiga tech demo by a German furry. Which, to be fair, is precisely what it is - take away the 3D and there's not a reet lot to chew on.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Lol. There are only a handful of movies as wretched as this one. Its kind of an impressive feat, because laws of averages are against a filmmaker blowing it that badly.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    There was a backlash against Avatar like anything else very popular. I never got it either.
    Yes, I think we have to distinguish between "Genuinely unpopular"/ "It flopped at the box office" and what I will call "fabricated unpopularity" where it made a fortune but people that don't like it declare it a flop because they can get together with other people that don't like it despite the fact that it made a billion dollars so, clearly, there must be a few people out there who liked it and, gasp, there must be a lot more of them than the vocal people who didn't like it and have the amazing ability to string words together and write a blog or do a youtube video where they declare it a flop.

Avatar, Captain Marvel, Black Panther or almost any MCU movie, any of the new Star Wars movies (except "Solo" which really didn't meet the studio's expectations) and, to be fair, many of the DCEU movies which made a bundle.

In the world we currently live in, cognitive dissonance is pretty much the rule. But, while I get not liking a movie, I don't get this thing of making your own reality where it clearly was a massive success but, no, it was a flop because you didn't like it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Lol. There are only a handful of movies as wretched as this one. Its kind of an impressive feat, because laws of averages are against a filmmaker blowing it that badly.
    The only movie where I ever got up and walked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I saw it on the big theater screen but not in 3D. There were critics who recommended seeing it in 2D because 3D is just a distraction. I kind of agree. There was a real story there. Some say it was just a "Plight of indigenous people" story set on an alien world and it was but I thought there was a lot there I didn't want to be distracted from.

Retired

I saw SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEART'S CLUB BAND in the theatre and didn't think it was that bad. It was adorably awkward. It's like, how can we make a movie out of these random songs from the Beatle catalogue and how can we insert so many name actors and talents into the movie? That was the intellectual fascination of watching it. I find it more interesting than ACROSS THE UNIVERSE that set itself the same task, but did it in such a rational fashion that it's not as amusing.

The success of the SGT. PEPPER movie was the soundtrack. I know I bought it (but on cassette). There were some terrible covers, but there were also some great covers. There are many movies that were not so good, but they spawned popular soundtrack albums and this was one of them. I think it also gave a bump to sales of Beatles albums at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I saw SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEART'S CLUB BAND in the theatre and didn't think it was that bad. It was adorably awkward. It's like, how can we make a movie out of these random songs from the Beatle catalogue and how can we insert so many name actors and talents into the movie? That was the intellectual fascination of watching it. I find it more interesting than ACROSS THE UNIVERSE that set itself the same task, but did it in such a rational fashion that it's not as amusing.

The success of the SGT. PEPPER movie was the soundtrack. I know I bought it (but on cassette). There were some terrible covers, but there were also some great covers. There are many movies that were not so good, but they spawned popular soundtrack albums and this was one of them. I think it also gave a bump to sales of Beatles albums at the time.
    Across the Universe is a good comparison, in many ways. It had a couple of great song sequences - Let it Be, for instance. But the rest of that movie is way too on the nose with the people all being related to Beatles songs and the plot, such as it is, can be summed up as mundane and predictable.

Sgt. Pepper might be helped by some nostalgia if I were to watch it again now. But I doubt it. It was actually amazing how much marketing the movie had at the time, and that definitely fed into the disappointment I had with the film. It was soooooooo hyped.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.