Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Ghost Rider was bad and almost universally panned by the critics but I actually liked it.

Same with Green Lantern. Not as bad as made out to be but still bad. But I liked it.

"The Man From Uncle" movie, to my surprise, was the biggest flop of it's year but I thought it was very good.

I liked the last FF movie until the last 20 minutes or so. Up until then, I kind of liked the weird, mundane style like they were almost doing a documentary on the daily lives of the characters. Then, in the last few minutes it was like, "Oh, we've got to contrive a big action/ fight scene to end this and it's got to come out of nowhere because we can't just have everybody say goodnight and go to bed for the ending".
    Man from Uncle was a pretty decent flick. I know it was a flop but I don't think its universally disliked.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    *Ones that really live up to the bad-mediocre rating:
    1. Batman Forever (of the two Schumacher movies, this one is worse)
    2. Batman & Robin
    3. Daredevil (Director's Cut. Theatrical version is even dumber and less pleasant to watch)
    4. Double Dragon
    5. Fantastic Four (Tim Story's films)
    6. Godzilla (1998)
    7. Knockoff (JCVD and Rob Schneider duo)
    8. Lionheart (1991)
    9. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
    10. Punisher War Zone
    11. Robocop II and III
    12. Street Fighter (JCVD and Raul Julia)
    13. Superman III
    14. Superman IV: Quest for Peace
    15. The Punisher (1989)
    16. The Quest (Another Van-Damme gem)
    17. Every live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie that is not the 1990 one, the only good movie using those characters without teaming them up with another dimension/city hero(es)
    18. X-Men: Apocalypse (title villain is not one of its problems)
    19. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (the main game from Ravensoft is good and fun, the other games have some right ideas too)

*Ones I legit think are good:
    1. Alien 3: Assembly Cut (it has its issues, but not enough to make it less than good)
    2. Dangerous Minds (1995)
    3. Escape Plan
    4. Hulk (it needed less whispering level of dialogue, beside that it's an underrated Ang Lee movie)
    5. Judge Dredd (even Rob Schneider is good in it, and I'm not a fan of his)
    6. Predator 2
    7. Predators (this one is more divisive than panned)
    8. Radio (Cuba Gooding jr and Ed Harris)
    9. Spider-Man 3
    10. The Amazing Spider-Man, both of them
    11. The Incredible Hulk (I place it somewhere in the middle of the ranks of the MCU)
    12. The Punisher (2004)
    13. X-Men III: The Last Stand (I thought it was disappointing in theater, but it is seriously better than what I keep reading about it)
    Wow. You think that Batman Forever is worse than Batman and Robin?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I think between those two, if you want bad-but-entertaingly-so, B&R is a better bet, particularly when Schwarzenegger unleashes the puns. Riddler kind of wound up being one of Carrey’s less interesting manic roles.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    John Carter, Alien 3 and both Hulks may not have been successful enough in a studios eyes but are legit good genre movies for their times.
    I second Daredevil, Elektra, Robocop II, judge Dredd and End of Days. The other movies are distant memories like tears in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I liked number 2, but Andrew Garfield was pretty bad as Spider-man. Half of his lines were just him laughing sheepishly and he was the cause of all of the trouble in the first one
    He only laughed in two scenes in both movies. And while that's true that he caused the trouble in the first movie I treat it like Tony and Bruce making Ultron; something done with good intention, but led to unexpected disaster.

You should watch the opening cutscene to the game tie-in for Amazing Spider-Man that has him being told three times what he needs to avoid, but still being the cause of chaos because he had the curiosity to be disobedient. Gwen had a hand in that too by not pushing him away and sneaking him into the lab when he should have stayed away as soon as Rhino charged his way.

Yeah. Both of them go way too crazy in stupid territory after the opening action scene, but the level of stupid in the opening action scene in Batman Forever is more grandiose, and Kilmer is overly stiff while Clooney was a little too chill despite the difficulty he experienced with the suit on, yet between the two Clooney still managed to play it closer to Batman.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    He only laughed in two scenes in both movies. And while that's true that he caused the trouble in the first movie I treat it like Tony and Bruce making Ultron; something done with good intention, but led to unexpected disaster.
    I've seen both films. Maybe you mistook his laugh for just heavy breathing but he did it a lot.

Frankly I didn't see many good intentions in there either. I know he didn't mean to rip that lady's shirt off and get into a fight in the subway but it wasn't fun to watch.

To each, their own.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think between those two, if you want bad-but-entertaingly-so, B&R is a better bet, particularly when Schwarzenegger unleashes the puns. Riddler kind of wound up being one of Carrey’s less interesting manic roles.
    I can't shake the idea that Riddler was Carrey's take on the Joker in a different costume.

----

Anyway, since Alien 3 was mentioned, I'll voice my support for it, too. Are there better Alien movies? You bet. But in hindsight, I feel like it's sometimes trashed a little too harshly.

My biggest complaint about the movie (aside from how badly they treated the Aliens cast) was that it's shot with the kind of lighting that grunge videos aimed for back in the day, with the amber lighting and tight corners, which made things hard to see -- I get that it was shot with a certain kind of depressive realism, but the aesthetics took it too far imo. Supposedly, the Assembly Cut is the better version, but I haven't seen it yet.

Looking back, it's pretty hilarious (and warm) that Cameron defended Fincher -- Cameron still trashed the movie but stood up for Fincher because he felt all the movie's shortcomings could be blamed on the producers and executive interference.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Superman IV: I loved this movie as a kid. A fight with another Superman with large claws that looked like He-Man. Even the statue of liberty got tossed around. I still enjoy it as an adult. I don't get why this movie gets heat. The only one I didn't like was Superman III

Star Trek V: It wasn't great but it certainly wasn't bad either. Overall, I was satisfied after watching it.

Green Lantern: Definitely room for improvement but I found it better than the first Thor Movie, Iron Man 2 and 3

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Green Lantern[/B]: Definitely room for improvement but I found it better than the first Thor Movie, Iron Man 2 and 3
    My man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!

Also wanna add GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra and Alien Vs Predator.

Keeping in mind that this is movies we liked- even if we knew they were bad- I actually liked Batman and Robin.

Oh, I knew it was stupid even while watching it. But I liked the return to a more campy Batman. Granted, the problem was that it was trying to be both campy and serious. The writer who wrote the animated story where Mr. Freeze has a wife that was murdered said he thought the problem was that they were trying to pay homage to his story and sort of declare that the wife is now forever a part of the Mr. Freeze origin BUT they were also trying to pay homage to the Adam West Batman, both respectable goals but rather mutually exclusive.

At the time, it seemed even more stupid as part of the Tim Burton continuity. But, recently going back and watching the two Burton movies, they may have seemed very serious at the time but now they seem incredibly campy in a dark sort of way.

All that aside, I loved Arnold as Freeze. I thought Clooney made a great Bruce Wayne though a not so great Batman. But any actor, having to say those lines, would have been dubbed a bad Batman. That's hardly his fault.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I love all 4 of the original Superman movies. Haven't seen Supergirl yet though I have high expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Keeping in mind that this is movies we liked- even if we knew they were bad- I actually liked Batman and Robin.

Oh, I knew it was stupid even while watching it. But I liked the return to a more campy Batman. Granted, the problem was that it was trying to be both campy and serious. The writer who wrote the animated story where Mr. Freeze has a wife that was murdered said he thought the problem was that they were trying to pay homage to his story and sort of declare that the wife is now forever a part of the Mr. Freeze origin BUT they were also trying to pay homage to the Adam West Batman, both respectable goals but rather mutually exclusive.

At the time, it seemed even more stupid as part of the Tim Burton continuity. But, recently going back and watching the two Burton movies, they may have seemed very serious at the time but now they seem incredibly campy in a dark sort of way.

All that aside, I loved Arnold as Freeze. I thought Clooney made a great Bruce Wayne though a not so great Batman. But any actor, having to say those lines, would have been dubbed a bad Batman. That's hardly his fault.
    If you look at the Burton and Shcumacher movies together, you actually get a fairly nice progression for Batman.

He starts out lonely, jaded, and not caring who he hurts or if they live or die and by the end of the series, he's strictly against killing, well loved by the city, and surrounded by a new family.

That's a lot better character growth that Nolan's going from "I don't know how to be Batman, somebody, anybody tell me what to do" to "I don't want to be Batman anymore. It's hard."

Retired

From looking at all these lists, my conclusion is that the movies universally disliked tend to be super-hero, fantasy or science fiction. Wow, if they just stopped making those movies, the film world would have a lot less bombs.

BANNED

The wedding planner . I thought Jennifer Lopez and Matthew Mcconaughey had chemistry and the movie was a comfort food romantic comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If you look at the Burton and Shcumacher movies together, you actually get a fairly nice progression for Batman.

He starts out lonely, jaded, and not caring who he hurts or if they live or die and by the end of the series, he's strictly against killing, well loved by the city, and surrounded by a new family.

That's a lot better character growth that Nolan's going from "I don't know how to be Batman, somebody, anybody tell me what to do" to "I don't want to be Batman anymore. It's hard."
    Yes, in my opinion, never bringing Robin into it or doing it the way Nolan did really doesn't get into the true loneliness and need for something at least vaguely resembling a meaningful personal life.

The main problem with the Schumacher movies is making Robin a late teenager or young adult rather than a 12-14 year old. In fact, avoiding the fact that Batman had a great need to care for a child, to this very day, enables the homophobia of Wertham which is essentially that any relationship between a man and a male child not his biological son is inherently sexual. It needed to be and is the story of a man who needs to be a father and a boy who needs a father. Ironically, today, that Wertham attitude would not only be homophobic but an unacceptable implication that an adopted child is not loved as much as a biological child. Ignoring Robin or making him almost an adult when they meet is just trapping Batman in the "cool" Dark Knight era but ignoring the parts that give it all the completion. Ironically, I think Bale said he would quit if they ever introduced Robin as his sidekick and that just means he misses a lot of the inner turmoil of Batman.
    Power with Girl is better.

I love all 4 of the original Superman movies. Haven't seen Supergirl yet though I have high expectations
    That movie's main problem is that it didn't live up to the standards of the Reeves Superman films.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.