Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Universially Disliked Movies You Like

Last night I watched a charming little movie called Graveyard Shift. Every cast member was giving their all from the oddly compelling leading man John Hall to the dastardly antagonist Warwick. The movie had one of the most compelling romances I've seen in a movie with Hall and Jane being jaded divorcees who are both at a similar point in their lives. The direction is up there with the best Stephen King adaptations, suprising considering that Graveyard is the director's only credit.

Impressed with the film, I searched online only to find that virtually no one shared my affinity for Graveyard Shift. Which is understable, the premise is shitty. Unlike Stephen King stories that have universally horrifying concepte behind them like Pet Cemetery, Carrie, or the Shining, most people don't know about... textile mills to be scared of them.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

pluto nash

If I go by this Forum. JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies and Batman vs Superman.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Godzilla (1998)

Hulk (2003)

The Amazing Spider-Man movies

Extraordinary Member

Green Lantern

I do agree that Ryan Reynolds was miscast and there was way too much piled in one film...

But I love GL/Hal. So if I see it about to come on, I'll watch it and usually enjoy it.

I'm still upset about the constant hate Justice League and Green Lantern gets, but let's also not have endless debates about it either. These are strange times we live. Some other mentions...

Star Wars: Episode 1
    The Pacific Rim movies
    Judge Dredd (1995)
    Fantastic Four (2005)
    Punisher War Zone
    Blade Trinity
    The Wolfman (2010)
    Grindhouse

Godzilla 1998
    the amazing spider-man 2012
    indiana jones & the kingdom of the crystal skull
    star trek 2009, 2013, 2016
    pirates of the caribbean 2011, 2017
    iron man 2013
    bio dome 1996

Prince Of Persia
    Fantastic Four 1 and 2
    Ghost Rider 1
    DragonBall Evolution.

Green Lantern (it's deeply flawed and ultimately disappointing but I still do like it)
    Spider-Man 3

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Prince Of Persia

Fantastic Four 1 and 2
    Ghost Rider 1
    DragonBall Evolution.
    Agree on the Fantastic four movies and Ghost Rider. Prince of Persia was a rough one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Godzilla (1998)

Hulk (2003)

The Amazing Spider-Man movies
    Yes. I thought Godzilla (1998) was a decent movie. Nothing great but good.

Hulk (2003) just wasn't the big superhero action movie people wanted. It was deeply character driven and explored those characters in depth.

I really will never grasp why the Amazing Spider-Man movies failed. Okay, sure, Electro. But almost everything else was so good and really got to the heart of who Spider-Man is.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I really will never grasp why the Amazing Spider-Man movies failed. Okay, sure, Electro. But almost everything else was so good and really got to the heart of who Spider-Man is.
    I always felt it was because it wasn't in the MCU. Even now everyone is clamoring for new characters to show-up. Why wouldn't they want one of the flagship characters to interact with Iron Man and Captain America?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I liked number 2, but Andrew Garfield was pretty bad as Spider-man. Half of his lines were just him laughing sheepishly and he was the cause of all of the trouble in the first one

I just didn't think either ASM movie was good. The villains were weak and Garfield was the least Parkerish Peter we have seen. IMHO.
    When you have Spider-Man 1 and 2 as your benchmark, you better make a great film.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If I go by this Forum. JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies and Batman vs Superman.
    Good one.

There's no such thing as a universally disliked movie. The ones that are mostly disliked *cough* Highlander 2 *cough* are deservedly disliked.

Then there's the movies like the ones you mentioned or the MCU or Star Wars episodes 7, 8 and 9 that make a billion dollars but people that don't like them declare them to be popular failures. That is not to delegitimize their complaints but the claim that they were failures with the overwhelming majority of the audience is demonstrably, overwhelmingly false based on the evidence of people going to see them over and over and over.
    Power with Girl is better.