Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    As someone who never got to see Avatar in theaters and only saw it on a small screen, that did greatly effect what I got out of it. The world was still pretty, but the story and characters were very bland, and without the large-screen 3d experience there was no 'wow' moment. That said, I really want to see the Avatar land they built at Disneyworld's Animal Kingdom. I think that could provide the 'wow' factor I didn't get from the movie itself.
    I have the same feeling about folks whose first experience in watching Gravity was on their phones, as opposed to theaters or a TV. The size and resolution really matter so that things don't get lost in translation/transition.

Retired

The only time I saw AVATAR was on the airplane on the screen on the back of the seat in front of me. No, it wasn't good, but I would not have seen it otherwise.

Cameron has stated that the story was meant to be simple so that the 3D was the main focus of the film. Now you might say that makes it a mediocre movie, or that the 3D alone wasn't enough, or it was a great theater experience. But the reason he made the movie was the 3D and to talk about it without considering that is not talking about Avatar.

If you go to the Venitian Hotel in Las Vegas and take the indoor gondola ride, you still haven't been to Italy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I have the same feeling about folks whose first experience in watching Gravity was on their phones, as opposed to theaters or a TV. The size and resolution really matter so that things don't get lost in translation/transition.
    yes, this. I saw it in Imax and I have seen it at home. They are not the same.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    But if it doesn't count, ok...Hudson Hawk. Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello's chemistry alone is worth it for me.
    Hell yeah! Hudson Hawk was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I even liked hearing Bruce sing!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm fond of End of Days.
    Another guilty pleasure of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Do the Transformer movies count?
    I've liked all of the Transformer movies- even that god-awful fifth movie- to varying degrees, with the exception of Rise of the Fallen. That one I saw in theaters for free with candy and soda I snuck in, and STILL felt I paid too much to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Battlefield Earth. Though more in "can't turn away from watching a car wreck" than actual enjoyment.
    I have not seen that movie since theaters, but I remember it being one of the most enjoyable theater going times I've ever had. There were like five of us in the theaters, and we were all MSTK3000-ing it.

Two movies that I've always enjoyed that other's hate would be Daredevil and LXG. I saw both of those, in theaters with a friend who was both an art major and a cinephile (she took me to see Waking Life in the local art house theater). Both times I walked out liking it, and she walked out wondering why she had agreed to see it.

I also love Judge Dredd.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Hrmmm. What about movies that you dislike but somehow find endearing in their awfulness? A lot of horror movies fall into this category for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    yes, this. I saw it in Imax and I have seen it at home. They are not the same.
    Gravity. I was stunned at the pictures in the cinema. I will never watch it at home.

Is Watchmen universally hated? I love that movie. I was in the cinema with a large group of 6 guys and 6 girls, and was the only one who loved it. Watchmen is just too heavy and political and complicated for the average Marvel/DC viewer. Not enough black and white, good or bad in it for people to turn their minds off.

Retired

I feel like IMAX® and 3.D. are wasted on me. I just don't get the benefit with my eyesight. Too often, that's the only thing available and I end up paying the higher ticket price, but I don't see what everyone else is getting from those formats.

I'm happy to watch these shows on the small screen, thank you very much, where I can actually see what's going on and I'm not suffering from a migraine by the end.

I dunno if it’s *universally* disliked, but I really like the 2006 Miami Vice movie. I generally like this period of Michael Mann movies where he’s using digital cameras and everything feels a bit more real than if they were shooting on film.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I dunno if it’s *universally* disliked, but I really like the 2006 Miami Vice movie. I generally like this period of Michael Mann movies where he’s using digital cameras and everything feels a bit more real than if they were shooting on film.
    I liked it, too. It's not great but it is enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I don't even think it rates universally. As huge Miami Vice honk, I find I like it less over the years. The approach was fine, the re-imagining of it was fine the look of it was beautiful, I got Phil Collins, can't find fault there but it wasn't really Miami Vice in that it took its self WAAAAY to serious, so did the show but when it did do thinks for yuks it fit. None of that happened in this movie and it went way too big. I hear on Lebatard there is a making off documentary on it somewhere I need to find. Lots of friction apparantly was on the set not just with Foxx and uh, **** whashisface, but with Mann too lol.

Yeah I need to see Blackhat still too.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

As a kid, I really liked Bebe's Kids but was really surprised to see how many critics hated it. But thanks to modern day meme culture, I see that I'm not alone.

Retired

When ERIK THE VIKING came out in 1989, I saw it and I liked it. Yet it got panned by the critics and I don't think it did well at the box office. I just felt like they were put off by its iconoclastic tone and wanted to tsk-tsk it. But that was its charm for me--it deliberately went against the grain.

However, now, because it was directed by Terry Jones, I'm sure those same critics would say it's a wonderful movie and there's probably a large cult following for the film. Because that's how revisionism always works.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I don't even think it rates universally. As huge Miami Vice honk, I find I like it less over the years. The approach was fine, the re-imagining of it was fine the look of it was beautiful, I got Phil Collins, can't find fault there but it wasn't really Miami Vice in that it took its self WAAAAY to serious, so did the show but when it did do thinks for yuks it fit. None of that happened in this movie and it went way too big. I hear on Lebatard there is a making off documentary on it somewhere I need to find. Lots of friction apparantly was on the set not just with Foxx and uh, **** whashisface, but with Mann too lol.

Yeah I need to see Blackhat still too.
    Miami Vice is my second favorite Michael Mann movie after Thief.

Public Enemies was filmed digitally as well, but I found it unbearably dreadful. What do people think of Blackhat?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Miami Vice is my second favorite Michael Mann movie after Thief.

Public Enemies was filmed digitally as well, but I found it unbearably dreadful. What do people think of Blackhat?
    Blackhat was a flop, and it was stupid here and there, but I liked it. Its entertaining and shows that <Chris Hemsworth can act.