Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Van Helsing, not a great movie sure but good enough.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Van Helsing, not a great movie sure but good enough.
    It had great special effects.

A lot of the "Bad" Bond movies do have their good points at most. Brosnan's last three films might've been a little light on substance but they're at least sort of fun to watch if you leave your brain at the door. "Man with the Golden Gun" has Christopher Lee and a cool East Asian setting. "Moonraker" has some of John Barry's best soundtrack work and before they get to space it's a pretty decent Bond film. Never really got the hate for "Octopussy"-the clown bit, for example, is actually probably the tensest bit in the whole movie. Even "View to a Kill" is OK for the first hour or so and Walken's still a lot of fun.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Octopussy seems to get hate because of Moore and how people by that time were souring on him in the role. The movie itself is fine and is even one of the best Moore Bond films, if you ask me. It was right after the infamous Moonraker (which I agree isn't all that bad either).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

A Nightmare On Elm Street pt.2 Freddy's Revenge - it seems to be hated by purists that felt it deviated from the rules by bringing Freddy into the real world but I actually like it probably as it was the first Nightmare movie I'd seen and it's still great.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Octopussy seems to get hate because of Moore and how people by that time were souring on him in the role. The movie itself is fine and is even one of the best Moore Bond films, if you ask me. It was right after the infamous Moonraker (which I agree isn't all that bad either).
    I wasn't a big Moore fan in the role but I agree that I liked both of those films, especially Moonraker.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    A Nightmare On Elm Street pt.2 Freddy's Revenge - it seems to be hated by purists that felt it deviated from the rules by bringing Freddy into the real world but I actually like it probably as it was the first Nightmare movie I'd seen and it's still great.
    The beginning (and for that matter the ending) at least were classic, pure Freddy.

Seed of Chucky (and I also like Bride of Chucky)

Seth MacFarlane's films (Ted 1 & 2, and A Million Ways to Die in the West)

Yoga Hosers (most of Kevin Smith's recent directorial efforts could count for my list)

The Happytime Murders

BANNED

Regarding Bond movies I always hear how bad Licence to Kill was. I love that movie.
    Dalton is great and the story was a nice change with Bond getting personal.
    Seeing Carey Lowell kicking ass was not bad either^^

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It had great special effects.
    And hot women imho...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I wasn't a big Moore fan in the role but I agree that I liked both of those films, especially Moonraker.
    The different actors who have played Bond have played him so differently it never made sense to me to compare them. They all have their pros and cons. FWIW I love Moonraker and get tons of grief from the other hardcore Bond fans I know. Yes its silly. Yes its over the top. But its still enjoyable as hell--action, humor, and Ken Adam outdid himself (as did John Berry). BTW there are apparently limits to the "silliness" that even Moore wouldn't go for. Note that he does not shoot a laser for the entire movie--he said that was something Bond wouldn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Regarding Bond movies I always hear how bad Licence to Kill was. I love that movie.
    Dalton is great and the story was a nice change with Bond getting personal.
    Seeing Carey Lowell kicking ass was not bad either^^
    Yeah, I thought it was a great movie and was surprised to learn about its reception later on.

But I also do appreciate those critics or lists that keep listing it as a more underrated Bond movie, and/or revise and increase its standing over time.

I suppose the only downside, or maybe something that knocked some Bond fans the wrong way, is that it's a relatively low-stakes film for Bond. The villain isn't out to conquer the world, and the story has Bond traveling perhaps the least out of all Bond films. To me that's okay since it's a different kind of take, plus it gave us a Bond that was less prominent in the films but much closer to the literary version.

Plus, we got that rarity of Q being out in the field (and in one case, literally). Go Q!

Retired

I'm a big fan of Roger Moore and a fan of his James Bond. I don't know if I've seen every one of his Bond movies, but those movies were the only ones that I actually went into a theatre to see. I was too young for the Connery movies and never could be bothered with the later Bonds. Those other Bonds that I've seen were on T.V. or airplanes. Roger Moore was my James Bond.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-26-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    BTW there are apparently limits to the "silliness" that even Moore wouldn't go for. Note that he does not shoot a laser for the entire movie--he said that was something Bond wouldn't do.
    He did all those movies with all those cornball lines and then drew the line in the sand at ... using lasers? Man I love Moore.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    He did all those movies with all those cornball lines and then drew the line in the sand at ... using lasers? Man I love Moore.
    Yeah. Driving a gondola in St. Mark's square? No problem... But NO lasers!

Part of my love for Moore's films is probably similar to Mr. Kelly--He was the Bond I saw in theatres so there's a special place in my heart for him