Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    When talking about Whedon's directing skills, shouldn't the discussion be about a movie Whedon directed? Cabin in the Woods was directed by Drew Goddard.
    I withdraw my point, thanks. I substitute that with Serenity. But I'd still argue that the other films are better directed than Cabin in the Woods.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-03-2021 at 11:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I withdraw my point, thanks. I substitute that with Serenity. But I'd still argue that the other films are better directed than Cabin in the Woods.
    Whedon's decent enough as a writer of genre fiction and he casts actors well, like Neil Patrick Harris on Dr. Horrible, and some of his dialogue and timing isn't bad. But there's more to directing than that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Whedon's decent enough as a writer of genre fiction and he casts actors well, like Neil Patrick Harris on Dr. Horrible, and some of his dialogue and timing isn't bad. But there's more to directing than that.
    The vision for Avengers 2012. I don't think any director who has ever done any past comic book movies would have executed things apart from Whedon. My personal issue with avengers is not relevant here as I am looking at this objectively based on the vision of what disney wanted with the movie.

As a staunch supporter that people need to understand comics and movies are not the same. what whedon did with avengers was mostly tell what is a page by page comic to screen story in a way that though Avengers still looked like a cartoony movie, because comics are in fact still-motion cartoons, Whedon made it fun to watch.

As much as I love Sam Raimi, you could tell as a director, he may have struggled to achieved that. His direction of Spiderman 3, with Sandman, Venom, Goblin and Peter was just not great.

I don't and will probably never see Whedon as a bad director.

BANNED

Can I make the case that Mathew Vaughn is the most versatile comic book film maker of all time who has also found success beyond that.

List of comic films he directed/produced or wrote,

Kick Ass
    First Class
    Days of Future Past
    Kingsman Secret Service
    KingsMan the Golden ciricle.
    Kick Ass 2

DC once hired him for Superman.

3 of this comic movies are complete separate series. he knew how to make that different while keeping his style as a director on each of them

He also has produced, Rocket Man, Layer Cake and Stardust.

I did think of Nolan but Nolan has only done DC movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    He also has produced, Rocket Man, Layer Cake and Stardust.
    Vaughan is a fairly talented film-maker, and Layer Cake is a fun crime film. I wouldn't say he's great though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Vaughan is a fairly talented film-maker, and Layer Cake is a fun crime film. I wouldn't say he's great though.
    I think he is above fair. Who knows what would have happened with his Superman. At least I will be able to argue more on his behalf if I was a big producer to give him money to make a brand new movie or start a franchise.

It's a dejavu with this topic , because in the film community we had this conversation 12-17 years ago but as fate will have it , it was about fantasy film directors. there was a major debate about how talented and successful Peter Jackson was beyond Lord of the rings?

I was one of those that said Peter Jackson was talented but his problem was he just picked many wrong projects to do post LOTR, I think after LOTR he should have taken time away from big budget movies but his next film was King Kong.

King Kong 2005 was fine but by then, Jackson may have gotten too deep with the VFX stuff, he could no longer hold a great story together on film and the hobbit trilogy was quite damaging to him as a film maker. so many poor choices made in the hobbit films.

MCU superhero movies are as big as fantasy movies, maybe even bigger but why I can still lean more with Jackson was that I know he crafted LOTR himself, that man gave his mind, body and soul to that franchise, so even if I am open minded with some saying he was and is overrated, because he has not found much big success post LOTR, I can still vouch for his talent as a film maker over the russos or other mcu directors. If I was a screenwriter, and I have to give one director my script, it would still be Peter Jackson, though he would not be in my top 3 choices as of 2021.