Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superheroes who started out late(r) in life

Who are they?

As an example, growing up it always seemed Green Arrow was 8-10 years older than the other Leaguers (maybe owing to the bears). His origin seemed to line up w. that, as it seemed he was already in his thirties when he came back from the island where he acquired his archery skills, and then decided to play hero.

I know immortal/long lived characters would all prob. be correct answers (and if there’s a really good example one that’s great) but I was thinking more of folks who age normally.

Doctor Strange was at least in his 40s when he learned magic.
    Hank Pym was at least in his late 30s when he became Ant-Man.
    Mister Fantastic and The Thing were both around 40 when they got their powers.

I don't know if this counts, but how about Martin Stein (the other half of the Raymond/Stein combo version of Firestorm):

Not explicit, but Jim Corrigan seems to have been in his 30s when he became the Spectre.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I dont know... Mr. Fantastic, The Thing, Prof. X, Wolverine and Dr. Strange? Maybe Psylocke who was in her 30's when she started super-heroing, I think.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

This one though, is pretty cool and I never even would have thought of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I don't know if this counts, but how about Martin Stein (the other half of the Raymond/Stein combo version of Firestorm):

Boisterously Confused

I could see all the prominent Green Lanterns (except Kyle) being early 30s at least. Alan Scott was lead engineer on a railroad tressel construction. They don't let people become test pilots right after getting their licenses. Stewart was a practicing architect (as originally created).

Bruce Banner had to be in his 30s to be lead scientist of a big government project.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Daredevil is 32 years old and has never aged.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I could see all the prominent Green Lanterns (except Kyle) being early 30s at least. Alan Scott was lead engineer on a railroad tressel construction. They don't let people become test pilots right after getting their licenses. Stewart was a practicing architect (as originally created).
    Yeah. He was a captain in the USAF. Youngest was 22. Average is 27. Average major is 33. Hal was also on the very immature side, so he might have been below average.

Apply that, perhaps, to Carol Danvers.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 03-01-2021 at 08:49 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Marvel's worst ever incarnation of Alpha Flight included a character called Centennial who became a superhero at the age of 96.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Marvel's worst ever incarnation of Alpha Flight included a character called Centennial who became a superhero at the age of 96.
    Also on the list of Alpha Flight's bad ideas: Puck was already a mature and experienced adventurer before caging a bad guy in his own body shrank him down to an immortal little person. Even if you go with what Byrne originally presented, you got the sense that Puck had been having decades of adventures before Department H came across him.

I don't think it's ever been explicitly said, but Stark was well established defense contractor, with a large footprint on the international social scene before becoming Iron Man. I can see it being debatable, but that doesn't lend itself to Boy Wonder interpretations.

More concrete would be War Machine. Rhodey had a military career, which as an Army chopper pilot (as originally created) would mean he was in for at least six years. Then he was in Stark's employ for several years before first taking on a suit of armor. If you want to get into the movie interpretations, Air Force officers don't get to Lieutenant Colonel before their upper-30s.

Pretty sure T'Challa was in his early 30s when he first met the Fantastic Four. Seems to be a theme here.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    ^^^ I remember thinking that was the one cool idea in that whole book...

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Also on the list of Alpha Flight's bad ideas: Puck was already a mature and experienced adventurer before caging a bad guy in his own body shrank him down to an immortal little person. Even if you go with what Byrne originally presented, you got the sense that Puck had been having decades of adventures before Department H came across him.
    ^^^Man Byrne was pissed at that Mantlo retcon!
    But that’s another good pick ty.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ...Man Byrne was pissed at that Mantlo retcon!.
    and rightly so