Mighty Member

Default SW and Skywalkers

So, with the Luke reveal at the end of Mandalorian, do you feel that the creators, no matter what story they tell, that they have to tie whatever story back into the Original and prequel trilogy? I feel like that hampers them quite a bit. Star Wars is a huge universe and mythology. As much as I love Anakin, Ob-Wan, Han and others, there's other stories that can be told. That being said, I hope the upcoming Bad Batch brings back Vadar, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka in some form.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, with the Luke reveal at the end of Mandalorian, do you feel that the creators, no matter what story they tell, that they have to tie whatever story back into the Original and prequel trilogy? I feel like that hampers them quite a bit. Star Wars is a huge universe and mythology. As much as I love Anakin, Ob-Wan, Han and others, there's other stories that can be told. That being said, I hope the upcoming Bad Batch brings back Vadar, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka in some form.
    I feel this is by and large a fallacy - with the caveat that LFL and Disney’s determination to try and repeatedly milk the OT era implies they’re currently paranoid about losing audience interest if they do the non-OT affiliated stuff they know worked before with KOTOR and such.

Even The Mandalorian and Rogue One are mostly non-Skywalker stories at their core - while Luke and Vader’s appearances are massive highlights, they are not the core of the story, and they’re mostly just awesome cameos.

Now, I would say that I totally get how valuable the Skywalkers are... and I would argue that the ST screwed itself up out of an inconsistent obsession and fear of the family: they seemed to want to use a fear of the Skywalkers limiting the story as an excuse to keep Rey from being related to them, but still gave TLJ to Luke and Kylo over her, and clearly had an obsession with Kylo because of who his parents were.

Let me out it this way: LFL should have already known that their Star Wars product was bigger than the Skywalkers... but if they wanted to use the Skywalkers anyway, they should have done better than they did.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I feel this is by and large a fallacy - with the caveat that LFL and Disney’s determination to try and repeatedly milk the OT era implies they’re currently paranoid about losing audience interest if they do the non-OT affiliated stuff they know worked before with KOTOR and such.

Even The Mandalorian and Rogue One are mostly non-Skywalker stories at their core - while Luke and Vader’s appearances are massive highlights, they are not the core of the story, and they’re mostly just awesome cameos.

Now, I would say that I totally get how valuable the Skywalkers are... and I would argue that the ST screwed itself up out of an inconsistent obsession and fear of the family: they seemed to want to use a fear of the Skywalkers limiting the story as an excuse to keep Rey from being related to them, but still gave TLJ to Luke and Kylo over her, and clearly had an obsession with Kylo because of who his parents were.

Let me out it this way: LFL should have already known that their Star Wars product was bigger than the Skywalkers... but if they wanted to use the Skywalkers anyway, they should have done better than they did.
    imo, Rogue One was the best movie since Empire. Personally, I'm sick of the Skywalkers and Vader. We've had 15 years of clone wars shows also... tiresome. Let's get on with it. I want other stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    imo, Rogue One was the best movie since Empire. Personally, I'm sick of the Skywalkers and Vader. We've had 15 years of clone wars shows also... tiresome. Let's get on with it. I want other stories.
    And The Mandalorian has provided that.

To be honest, though, it’s the setting and creatively cautious nature of LFL towards leaving the OT that’s more the problem than the Skywalkers.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

At the time, Luke and Ashoka are pretty much the only Jedi so it's not like Mando has much of a choice...and Ashoka already declined.

It's possible Mandalorian might tie into the larger narrative, as we still know what's up with Gideon's plan involving Grogu's Midichlorians and some sort of cloning thing, but it could tie into Snoke and Palpatine.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Well, a lot of the announced projects so far don't seem to tie into the Skywalkers.