Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the writers forgot it happened.

Otherwise, it's possible that she chose to date Flash anyways to spite Peter.
    Yeah, but that's what I mean by the looseness... messiness of it. In terms of the aesthetics of storytelling, OMD feels like such a mess.

If you can't make MJ and Peter unmarried in some sort of clean way without causing a mess... don't do it.

It's the same way I felt about Greedo shooting first in special edition star wars. I personally don't care who shoots first (in terms of character), but the Greedo shooting first looks so unprofessional and messy with Han shifting his head to dodge the shot... it looks to me like a high-schooler did the effects. If Lucas couldn't do it cleanly and professionally he shouldn't have done it.

In both cases... the creators seem to be driven by some kind of "despair" to change something that wasn't that big of deal. I mean having Peter and MJ married was such an awful thing that they had to create this mess? I don't get it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    OMD isn't really a story that played out in continuity in the pages of characters.

It's a story that played out between the creators and the fans and the wider public.

Remember when OMD was published, it actually made headlines. Tom Defalco said that a sports broadcast had commentators interrupt coverag to talk about it. OMD is also one of the most famous bits of Spider-Man comics history in the last decades. The only contenders equal to it is Spider-Man unmasking in CIVIL WAR (which was huge, and by far the biggest reason for that title's success), and Miles Morales' debut. Those are the only bits of Spider-Man comics stuff that crossed over to the civilians (Slott's "Dying Wish" has a fourth place but more because of the death threats than the story itself).

So the story about undoing OMD isn't going to be simply about continuity and so on. It never really was about that. This story is of "public interest" as they say, which means that dealing with it is a matter of grappling with the emotions people have tied to this, and not simple Marvel/lore stuff. That can be tackled later down the line. So the question Marvel and others want is "what would people respond to emotionally over this".

Ultimately what matters is if Marvel want Peter and MJ to get married again. If they want that, then you can do the best and most satisfying version of this story. The only other satisfying story is that Spider-Man has to fight Mephisto and score a win over him, and they have to make it clear that Spider-Man scored a legit triumph. None of that "when Spider-Man wins Peter loses" crap. A total unambiguous win over Mephisto. What kind of fight or what kind of win that we can leave for later but you have to make it so that Peter has a full soul, all his memories, will not face any consequences (i.e. Charlie Collins versus Joker in BTAS) and after that he's a free man, there's nothing stopping him from marrying MJ again or no thumbs on the scale, and Spider-Man writers get to refer to stories in the married era as married Spider-Man stories and not "living together" gaslighting.

Tom Brevoort once said that Marvel were unlikely to consider having Spider-Man regain his memories because the minute that happens they can't have Peter and MJ not be married and impossible to make Spider-Man as romantically undetermined so for me having Peter regain his memories and the marriage back in continuity would make it virtually impossible to make them single later on...barring a full continuity reboot.
    Playing devil's advocate (no pun intended since we're talking about OMD), but if it isn't a story played out in continuity, what is the point of undoing it with another story? Might as well just remarry them and call it a wrap.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-06-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Playing devil's advocate (no pun intended since we're talking about OMD), but if it isn't a story played out in continuity, what is the point of undoing it with another story? Might as well just remarry them and call it a wrap.
    I am 100% for the marriage returning, but even if it does not getting rid of OMD is crucial. Why? Part of my objection to that story involved regression of Peter to a Man-Child ( a point I have made over and over), and if Marvel is actually deciding to advance Peter ( a new job, getting a new costume and his degree are examples of this), then getting rid of the 900 pound elephant in his life ( The deal) that has caused over a decade of negativity has to happen. As for the marriage, a big question is who will be taking over for Spencer when he leaves the book? Will it be someone who wants MJ and Peter together? If not MJ then who? Felicia? Someone in the Field (such as Carlie, Deb, Anna-Maria, Mockingbird or Betty (I doubt Cindy or Gwen because they have their own thing away from Amazing)? Someone new? Or no one? Since we are about a year and a half away from 900 and then heading for Amazing 1000 ( which I am sure Marvel wants to be done right), it is imperative that the Spider Office does not give us a bad writer like Slott or Wolfman or a bad story like the terrible JMS trio ( The Other, Sins Past and of course OMD).

BANNED

I'm not sure it's going fully back and rewrite the whole timeline.
    Did One More Day rewrite everything from the marriage to Bright New Day?
    As far as I remember, not everything got reset, might need to go back and recheck.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I'm not sure it's going fully back and rewrite the whole timeline.
    Did One More Day rewrite everything from the marriage to Bright New Day?
    As far as I remember, not everything got reset, might need to go back and recheck.
    It could end with Peter being erased from existence. That would solve everything.

Astonishing Member

Either way, it appears OMD was merely a "lame a cheap reality shift", where a lot of things should have chenged, but they decided to let it be mostly the same except for the main event.

Well, considering how many things have happened since OMD and how many good things were wasted because of lame writing, I would like that a new "reality shift" could fix several of the wrongs done in all these years. Some examples:
    + Mary Jane would still have her Spider-Island's spider powers, on a stable way. This would give her a good way to survive Spider-Man's world as her wife, and no longer "defendless".
    + The Superior Spider-Man exist, but not the way we knew. Doc Ock's switch failed, and instead he cloned his oold self. The Superior Spider-Man becomes a character more similar to Ben Reilly and Kaine, a clone with its own identity. Only this clone would combine memories and personalities of both, Peter Parker and Otto Octavius.
    + Peter would still have Parker Industries, and Mary Jane would lead it along Peter, instead of the stupidity of putting her with Iron Man's cast. MJ would also uses the Iron Spider's costume and identity regularly for protection and other missions.
    + Felicia Hardy stays a bad girl, but never becomes "Queenpin". Instead, another character takes that role: Lily Hollister, Queen Cat. ("Queen Cat" sounds more fitting for a "Queenpin").

What do you think?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Either way, it appears OMD was merely a "lame a cheap reality shift", where a lot of things should have chenged, but they decided to let it be mostly the same except for the main event.

Well, considering how many things have happened since OMD and how many good things were wasted because of lame writing, I would like that a new "reality shift" could fix several of the wrongs done in all these years. Some examples:
    + Mary Jane would still have her Spider-Island's spider powers, on a stable way. This would give her a good way to survive Spider-Man's world as her wife, and no longer "defendless".
    + The Superior Spider-Man exist, but not the way we knew. Doc Ock's switch failed, and instead he cloned his oold self. The Superior Spider-Man becomes a character more similar to Ben Reilly and Kaine, a clone with its own identity. Only this clone would combine memories and personalities of both, Peter Parker and Otto Octavius.
    + Peter would still have Parker Industries, and Mary Jane would lead it along Peter, instead of the stupidity of putting her with Iron Man's cast. MJ would also uses the Iron Spider's costume and identity regularly for protection and other missions.
    + Felicia Hardy stays a bad girl, but never becomes "Queenpin". Instead, another character takes that role: Lily Hollister, Queen Cat. ("Queen Cat" sounds more fitting for a "Queenpin").

What do you think?
    Queenpin is certainly another Slott story that can disappear and no one except maybe Slott will miss. What do I think happens? I actually think at if OMD is erased then everything ( good and bad) remains (Queenpin included). Why? As we have seen stories that are universally considered garbage like Sins Past and The Other have been hinted at during the Spencer run. Based upon that I think he will find a way to erase OMD while keeping everything in the Slott run canon. That includes the bad like Queenpin and the good like Spider Island.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Queenpin is certainly another Slott story that can disappear and no one except maybe Slott will miss. What do I think happens? I actually think at if OMD is erased then everything ( good and bad) remains (Queenpin included). Why? As we have seen stories that are universally considered garbage like Sins Past and The Other have been hinted at during the Spencer run. Based upon that I think he will find a way to erase OMD while keeping everything in the Slott run canon. That includes the bad like Queenpin and the good like Spider Island.
    When OMD happened, some things were changed; like Peter losing the powers of the Other. Eventually, those powers ended up in someone who looked better with them, Kaine. That's why I propose these changes if OMD is finally undone. Mary Jane with Spider-Powers and the Iron Spider's suit, Peter and MJ leading together Parker Industries, "Queenpin" being used by Lily Hollister instead of Felicia.... OMD took away Peter's Jackpot, so undoing it should return it to him in a "big way".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    What do you think?
    Too much work for stuff that doesn't need that much work.

Here's the thing, after OMD, there hasn't been any lasting or impactful story in continuity. You could read OMD, not read a single issue of BND or Slott's run, and start from Spencer's first issue, and you wouldn't have missed a thing. There are in fact several readers on CBR and elsewhere who expressed that sentiment, who came back to read Spider-Man after Spencer took over. So to be honest, there's just not any real work needed to be done.
    -- In the case of Doctor Octopus, he's back to being a villain after Gage's series.
    -- Felicia's Queenpin stuff was explained and dealt with by Spencer and Mackay.
    -- As far as Spider-Verse goes, that entire event revolves around your familiarity and knowledge of different versions of Spider-Man and continuity stuff in 616 doesn't really matter.

My recommendation is "what can be done in a single 32 page issue"? The stuff you say can't be done in 1 issue, whereas having Peter-MJ marry again and remember the deal and original continuity, that can be done in a single issue, with option and room to pad out in an Annual or One-Shot if need be.

Astonishing Member

Too much work for stuff that doesn't need that much work.

Here's the thing, after OMD, there hasn't been any lasting or impactful story in continuity. You could read OMD, not read a single issue of BND or Slott's run, and start from Spencer's first issue, and you wouldn't have missed a thing. There are in fact several readers on CBR and elsewhere who expressed that sentiment, who came back to read Spider-Man after Spencer took over. So to be honest, there's just not any real work needed to be done.
    -- In the case of Doctor Octopus, he's back to being a villain after Gage's series.
    -- Felicia's Queenpin stuff was explained and dealt with by Spencer and Mackay.
    -- As far as Spider-Verse goes, that entire event revolves around your familiarity and knowledge of different versions of Spider-Man and continuity stuff in 616 doesn't really matter.

My recommendation is "what can be done in a single 32 page issue"? The stuff you say can't be done in 1 issue, whereas having Peter-MJ marry again and remember the deal and original continuity, that can be done in a single issue, with option and room to pad out in an Annual or One-Shot if need be.
    I wish they would do that instead of the Kindred “Dog and Pony Show” but they will not. Let’s take a story I loathe: Silk ( who of course is a Slott creation). Despite my opinion, Cindy Moon is going nowhere. I also do not think Marvel wants to get rid of the few quality Slott Stories like Spider Island. I also do not think they will send Aunt May to “Sleep With The Fish” once and for all ( if for no other reason they do not want to be accused of fridging another female character). I think Spencer has a plan to get rid of OMD and keep as much of Slott’s run canon as possible ( Silk being one example). Of course, they questions are. A: What is it? B: Will it be successful?
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 03-08-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I wish they would do that instead of the Kindred “Dog and Pony Show” but they will not. Let’s take a story I loathe: Silk ( who of course is a Slott creation). Despite my opinion, Cindy Moon is going nowhere. I also do not think Marvel wants to get rid of the few quality Slott Stories like Spider Island. I also do not think they will send Aunt May to “Sleep With The Fish” once and for all ( if for no other reason they do not want to be accused of fridging another female character). I think Spencer has a plan to get rid of OMD and keep as much of Slott’s run canon as possible ( Silk being one example). Of course, they questions are. A: What is it? B: Will it be successful?
    Why do you like Spider Island?

Because the butterfly effect seems to be in play in the MCU, especially with OMD, you can't just eliminate it now without introducing the same problems OMD created in the first place. And, lets face it, a story to undo a horrible story is pretty much also going to be horrible - because it has to address all the horribleness and dredge it all back up. So for these reasons I think its important that it is done in one, ignorable issue and doesn't get rid of yet more continuity.

So I propose a couple of options:

1) Make OMD be an illusion Mephisto created for Peter and MJ instead of an actual real-life thing that happened. They've been living since that time not knowing that they weren't actually married. Everything since the marriage still happened exactly as depicted and Peter and MF and everyone else around them gets their true memories back.
    2) Ignore OMD and have Peter and MJ remarry. This relegates OMD, BND and a lot of the past 15 years to footnote status, but keeps it all intact. And, hey, Marvel gets to make a big todo about the marriage again just like in the 1980s.

Moving forward - Option 1 gives you more options than option 2. With Option 2 they pick up right where they were before OMD. With Option 1 they could choose to remain in the fantasy existence and not be married anymore since that is what they are used to now.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Because the butterfly effect seems to be in play in the MCU, especially with OMD, you can't just eliminate it now without introducing the same problems OMD created in the first place.
    Sure you meant the MU...but anyway I don't know what "butterfly effect" you mean here.

And, lets face it, a story to undo a horrible story is pretty much also going to be horrible
    Claremont's story undoing AVENGERS #200 is pretty good. There are plenty of other examples. The expression "turn a sow's ear into a silk purse" exists for a reason.

So for these reasons I think its important that it is done in one, ignorable issue and doesn't get rid of yet more continuity.
    Agreed on this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Why do you like Spider Island?
    It was simply a well done story. There are very few I liked from Slott. That was one of them.

Sure you meant the MU...but anyway I don't know what "butterfly effect" you mean here.
    Yes. And the butterfly effect was the pigeon that went back in time and released Eddie, thus altering future events in the same timeline and causing married Peter in the present to automagically shift to single Peter in the present. Thats the effect. The original was a story by ... who was that, some writer in the 1950s ... where guys are time-traveling to hunt dinosaurs as big game. One of them steps on a butterfly and comes back to an entirely different world, but still within the existing timeline, because of some kind of unknown consequences of his action of killing that one butterfly.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.